Funky Electricals - problems? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Funky Electricals - problems?
Tuesday, May 02, 2006 11:01 PM
Hi folks,

The problem is a little weird and quick search didn't come up with much (I may not have searched by the right terms).

Vehicle: 1994 Sunbird LE 3.1L V6 Convertible

Short story:
I was at a left turn light and every time the light would come on, the needle would dip. I didn't notice that the alternator current was also slowly dropping. Cruising over a long bridge in some wet weather and lost all electricals. No throttle. No instrument cluster. No radio. Nothing. I managed to coast over the crest of the bridge and off onto the nearest street. Putting they keys in the ignition gave me nothing - no bells, no idiot lights. Nada.

It was a very wet day, and some steam was coming out the right side. near the alternator. No coolant problems .. just a lot of water.

When the tow arrived he tried to give me a jump, but instead wound up getting smoke out of the alternator. I got it towed home, but after getting it there putting the keys into the ignition then gave me all the interior lights, seatbelt warning, etc ..it even started, but the charge kept dropping.

I've had the alternator and serpentine belt & tensioner replaced, but the gauge in the cluster still dips on the turn signals. I don't want to smoke another alternator! Any idea what or where could be the problem? Something on the right side?

Any help appreciated,

Thanks,

Re: Funky Electricals - problems?
Wednesday, May 03, 2006 10:20 AM
i dont think the fact your alternator went out and the dipping gauge has anything to do with each other. i think the alternator just had its life and it died.

the reason for the needle moving when your turn signal is on? gooood question. my guess is because the car is old, its an old car and older cars have problems over time.

i wouldnt worry about frying the alternator. the alternator is always on, and all it does it recharge the battery. it isnt like other devices where you can easily fry it, an alternator only does 1 job.

hope this helps
-cameron

- Cameron (CaliforniaCavalier)
- www.csc-motorsports.com (my new NOR-CAL car tuning site)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search