75,000 miles? - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
75,000 miles?
Tuesday, May 02, 2006 9:15 AM
My 03 cavalier is rapidly approaching 75k miles, and my struts finally started to go bad. I'm replacing them very soon, but I was wondering what other problems I can expect to run into in the 75-100k mile range? My engine still runs very smoothly, and my clutch feels like it has a good amount of meat left on it.

Thanks!

Re: 75,000 miles?
Tuesday, May 02, 2006 9:23 AM
If you've got an ecotec, an oil change would be good if its about time. Also despite the claims of GM replacing the spark plugs would also be beneficial.

Lastly if your willing to try it some seafoam to clean out the injectors would also be a great idea.

My 03 fire is at 50+ and climbing now, although much slowers since my commute is all of 8 miles round trip now.

-Chris

Tuesday, May 02, 2006 11:00 AM
I currently use Techron every 3-5k miles. Is seafoam just a tank additive, or is it run through the fuel rail?
Tuesday, May 02, 2006 12:22 PM
FireHawk wrote:I currently use Techron every 3-5k miles. Is seafoam just a tank additive, or is it run through the fuel rail?

Plan on replacing that fuel pump very soon.

Techron is pure alchol, that stuff will destroy your pump.

Why do you think has is 10% ethanol, it is a cleaner.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 7:49 AM
I'd reccomend changing the fuel filter, drain/refill the trans (you mentioned clutch so i'm assuming it's a 5sp) and i'd use Trick Shift Full synthetic fluid. Also plugs are a good idea too. Don't worry about your fuel pump with the Techron additive, i've used that for 15 years every 10-15K miles and never had a fuel pump issue aside from just wearing it out at over 200,000 miles. FYI - GM uses Chevron gas for all their testing, 100,000 mile durability, emissions standards..etc, it has a standard load of Techron and if they use it i'd be willing to bet it's ok for GM cars. Seafoam is good too, i've used it in the past as well with good results in the gas tank.
Don
Thursday, May 04, 2006 12:15 AM
You can start using oil for higher-mileage engines and you can check/change your transmission fluild. If my engine were running so smoothly, I wouldn't see any reason to change my plugs.
Saturday, May 06, 2006 8:08 PM
here u go,

i have 78,000

I have had to change - water pump, coil pack, blew the engine (rod went throu block) and coolant hose. Have a nice day this is no joke.....would appreaciate if u would give me feedback...idk what to do ...currently i dont have another engin ein i am without a car...im wondering if i should just get a good engine and put it in and new tranny...cus i think that is starting to sound like @!#$...or should i just get rid of the @!#$in thing.....but honestly, what else is there that can go wrong with the car if i replaceed all this allready and if i replace the tranny would i run into many expensive jobs???? Idk if i should just put in a used engine and sell this thing.....plese leave feedback
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search