Removing AC - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Removing AC
Monday, January 09, 2006 5:32 PM
k i want to remove this because everytime i use it its a big ass motor bog on my car. what all do i haveta do to take it off? i know i could just run a non AC belt without adding anything but do i haveta get sumthin discharged or just take it right off the motor? also is all the silver piping a part of it or is that connected into some other stuff that would @!#$ up the motor functions somehow?

2.340 - 60,
16.591 @ 80.52 - 1/4

Guesswho69000@hotmail.com

Re: Removing AC
Monday, January 09, 2006 7:00 PM
First off it shouldnt be a big drag on your motor. A ittel bit is all, as the A/C compressor takes HP to run it.

Secondly you need to remove the compressor, condensor, evaportor and either the Reciever/Drier or Accumlator depends what your car has.

Secondly you do realize by doing this you will have no defrost in the winter, only heat. As the AC compressor is on when the defrost is on to remove the moisture from the air and all.

Finally you must have a shop recover the system before you disconnect any lines or remove anything. Not doing so and getting caught is a $32,500 fine by the EPA.

Also to answer your question yes the gray lines are part of the A/C system, they are either liquid or vapor lines.

The final thing by removing your compressor, you must get the smaller belt for your engine.

Any other questions?

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 9:02 AM
would it be easier to just buy a non AC 2200 belt?

2.340 - 60,
16.591 @ 80.52 - 1/4

Guesswho69000@hotmail.com
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 9:13 AM
Rob S i agree with everything but..
Rob S wrote:Secondly you do realize by doing this you will have no defrost in the winter, only heat. As the AC compressor is on when the defrost is on to remove the moisture from the air and all.

Never had a problem at all.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 10:11 AM
Rob S, you had two secondlys But your right when its off it uses NO MORE power then an idler pully will.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 3:48 PM
I HAVE been wantting to get my ac system removed foe awhile now; i dont use ac, sont like it and i want less weight.
I was told by a dealer that removing the whole system would cost an arm and leg; would not be worth it.
Why do you have to go and get another belt if you get rid of the ac; does getting rid of some of the comonets include ditching a belt in favour of a smaller one; i am sorry i just cant get the concept of the belts and how it works etc; i dont know a whole lot about engines; bare with me.

98 j-body sedan

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 8:10 PM
-MD- Z24 wrote:Rob S i agree with everything but..
Rob S wrote:Secondly you do realize by doing this you will have no defrost in the winter, only heat. As the AC compressor is on when the defrost is on to remove the moisture from the air and all.

Have you ever lived in the midwest, or the northest in the winter time? Your windshield is all frosted over from the night before. After cleaning it off, you get inside your car and drive. Now the windshield fogs over again in a short distance. So you crank the defrost on to high and in a minute the windshield is clear again. It is because the A/C compressor was on, but instead of blowing cold it removed mositure from the air and heated up the windshield.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 3:56 AM
Rob S wrote:
-MD- Z24 wrote:Rob S i agree with everything but..

Have you ever lived in the Midwest, or the northeast in the winter time? Your windshield is all frosted over from the night before. After cleaning it off, you get inside your car and drive. Now the windshield fogs over again in a short distance. So you crank the defrost on to high and in a minute the windshield is clear again. It is because the A/C compressor was on, but instead of blowing cold it removed moisture from the air and heated up the windshield.

I live in Northeast Ohio, 1/4 mile from lake Erie. It has never affected me in a negative way.
--Shrugs shoulders--

terry denomme Oh, by the way the whole a.c. system i think weighs in at a whooping 33lbs. if I remember correctly. Its been a while.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 7:21 AM
Wow 33 lbs ! Thats like worth 2 seconds in a quarter mile ! ( sarcasm ) If thats all
the weight savings then why bother ?

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 11:08 AM
take off your ac ... and send it to me i need one

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 2:25 PM
I wish it was the easy and i could send my ac to you; why do you need one or want to have ac?

98 j-body sedan

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 4:33 PM
whats the deal if an ac makes cold air does the switch turned to hot make the air warm still? i never use my defrost for that i alwasy thought it was wierd that it did that but sometimes it works good. GM did something right but why would the ac come on with you put the nob to circaltory? you know the the second preset after off? it sucks cause when you turn on anything it clicks on the ac for a split second which it stupid
Thursday, January 12, 2006 4:10 PM
Is ac only on when the green ac light is lit up?

98 j-body sedan

Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:32 PM
To the one above this, yes the compressor is on when the green light is lit up.

To the post two above this. The A/C is on recirculate is turned on to simply save fuel.

See to understand why it does that, you must first understand basic A/C systems.

Okay there is no such thing as making cold air, it is simply the removal or adition of heat, heat is present is all air above absolute zero -460F. Okay so you recirculating the A/C inside your car, so a hot sunny day, so rather than drawing 100 degree air from outside and cooling that down, it is drawing 70 air from inside the car and just cooling that down colder.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 10:09 PM
You forgot one major point.... the defroster setting, with A/C... DRIES the air. So if it's raining outside, you're not throwing cold wet air at the cold windshield (causing it to defrost slower)

The A/C compressor has a clutch in it... so if you don't have the system on, or you're at WOT (which most people are, in a 2200... LOL.. just kidding)... the a/c compressor isn't running, and isn't taking any hp.

If you're looking to save 33 pounds of weight... go on a diet.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 10:29 PM
i have a weird situation...i don't have AC, and my care rarely fogs up, and when it does, it goes away very quickly...my gf has an RSX with AC, and her windows fog up REALLY bad, and take forever to defog even with the AC on...why would this be?

Friday, January 13, 2006 8:07 AM
C'mon Ryan, you know the answer already...

it's because the RSX sucks

Saturday, January 14, 2006 8:28 AM
lol he beat me to it /\

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search