The Code after CAI INSTALL- ROB S. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
The Code after CAI INSTALL- ROB S.
Monday, January 09, 2006 9:45 PM
The code is P0113. Well, now I have a question... The code was gone, so I thought it was fixed (i bought a new IAT sensor). and yes P0113 is an IAT code- something about high circuit input or something-- cant remember what the readout said exactly. and not sure what that means. So the code came back on this morning-- just now I re-positioned the IAT so it was further in the tube(no medal sticking out)- reset the battery for about 2 hours, was fine, and just now I have an engine light on... I AM @!#$ LOST at this point. what else could it be-- the wires leading into the sensor? This is where I am at now-- the light is back on(car does not feel any different driving) and I have no idea why.

Any help?

Thanks,
Chris

If I am getting an IAT code, its got to be SOMETHING with that, right?

Re: The Code after CAI INSTALL- ROB S.
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 7:47 AM
DTC P0113
Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor Circuit High Voltage

Whats that mean?
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 8:00 AM
Hey i have the same problem with mine right now, i changed the sensor and reset the code, i have checked the new one make sure it wasnt shorted or anything like that and it has come back, i have had it on for about 3 or 4 months now and when i can afford it, im going to take it to the dealer and see if they can do anything about it, but i have been told to check my grounds also, i just havent had the time to do that yet

04 Cav 2.2 Ecotec
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 8:13 AM
Right... I was reading up about it a little more on other sites, and they say it's an improper ground- the wires just ARENT connected within that connector... IT started literally right after I installed my AEM intake, so I am guessing its the wires-- I don't know why a ground would come loose.

C.
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 8:34 AM
Mine started the same exact time that my transmission started shifting hard, if you do fine a loose ground, let me know, i might have a chance this weekend to look at mine

04 Cav 2.2 Ecotec
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 8:38 AM
Where would the loose ground be that goes to the IAT?

C.
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 9:22 AM
im not sure, if i get a chance this weekend, ill try to look at mine, it hasnt caused my car to drive funny or anything im just tired of the CEL

04 Cav 2.2 Ecotec
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 10:09 AM
Check the conector itself for any damaged or loose wires as this will cause a faulty reading and cause a code to be thrown. Since you already replaced the sensor itself its the only thing left that I can think of. And yes i have heard of this causeing the problem your haveing, its usualy due to it being pulled on too hard without the clip being released properly.

Good Luck, Hope this helps you guys out.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 10:11 AM
Thanks jackalope, ill check, would you know if this has anything to do my auto tranny shifting hard, as they both started at the same exact time

04 Cav 2.2 Ecotec
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 10:40 AM
I don't have an auto in mine and I haven't heard of a coralation between the two so I don't really want to speculate as to if they may or may not be related. But if you fix the sensor problem and your tranny starts to behaive itself then I'd say it was, but till then sorry not sure.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 12:13 PM
Chris Osborn wrote:DTC P0113
Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor Circuit High Voltage

Whats that mean?

Okay the computer is calibrated to expect certain things. Sensors send the computer voltage. For example the TPS should send a volt reading or about .7 at idle on most cars.

Okay the intake temp sensor works the same way, it sends the computer the temp of air coming into the engine by volts.

Now your car is saying high voltage, so it is higher than the calibrated limit. The computer sees it and sets a code.

Do you have a voltmeter by chance, if you backprobe into the sensor and see what it is reading.

An faulty IAT cant cause the trans to shift hard. But other sensors acting up can, for example I dont know what year your car is and all. But if it has a MAF and you messed with that and screwed up somthing it could. Basically the MAF not only tells the computer how much air is going in, but also engine load. Well if it says the load is greater than it is, the trans wil shift firmer. Anyways kind of off topic there.

Wel try to get the voltage reading. Also what year is your car, I can get the specs for what the sensor should be and we compare it to what they are reading.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 12:58 PM
Rob S., Thats it no more use of the word " okay " by you ! Okay ?

Rob since he put in a new sensor I can't see them both being bad thats why I said to check the plug for and damaged wires. I mean he could have gotten a bad one right off the bat, but its more likely to be a common problem such as the plug. Wouldn't you agree ?

I'm staying out of the tranny stuff as its outside my area of knowledge.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 2:05 PM
ummmm.....where to start

1) check the wires. you probably, maybe pulled the sensor connector off by them and pissed it off.
2) a bad IAT, or no IAT, CAN AND WILL cause hard shifting. The transmission is electronically controlled. Anything wrong with one input seems to @!#$ up A LOT of the outputs.
3) check the IAT itself for damage. I bought a replacement one that was defective. It does happen. Let me know if you need one...I have an extra one somewhere in my stock parts box.
3) Rob: No J-Body has EVER had a MAF sensor. EVER. Why even bring that sensor into play when it's an impossible reason? Let's not complicate crap here.

Hopefully that helps some. Back to setting up the new webstore.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 8:06 PM
hypsy(the12secondone) wrote:ummmm.....where to start

1) check the wires. you probably, maybe pulled the sensor connector off by them and pissed it off.
2) a bad IAT, or no IAT, CAN AND WILL cause hard shifting. The transmission is electronically controlled. Anything wrong with one input seems to @!#$ up A LOT of the outputs.
3) check the IAT itself for damage. I bought a replacement one that was defective. It does happen. Let me know if you need one...I have an extra one somewhere in my stock parts box.
3) Rob: No J-Body has EVER had a MAF sensor. EVER. Why even bring that sensor into play when it's an impossible reason? Let's not complicate crap here.

Hopefully that helps some. Back to setting up the new webstore.

Whoa hold on here. I dont know if they do or dont have MAFs, now I know they dont. Thats why I said "I dont know....." when I started it.

Also the IAT cant cause a trans to shift hard. That tells the computer the temp of the air coming in.
Trans will shift firmer when cold, because the line pressure is raised slighty, but the computer gets that info from, one how long the car has been on, and two if there is a trans temp sensor inside the trans. Even if there isnt, colder weather wont make the trans shift hard and firm all the time.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 9:50 PM
Go test it Rob. It will make the car shift harder. Common post around here.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 4:01 AM
hey hypsy, i sent you a pm and rob, a dealer and a friend of mine who is a mechanic both told me the tranny can be caused by the iat

04 Cav 2.2 Ecotec
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search