Horn not working? help, please.. - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Horn not working? help, please..
Friday, January 06, 2006 5:34 AM
...searched, but couldnt find EXACTLY the same issue I was having. My steering wheel horn conked out. I still get the clicka-clicka noise when i hit it, coming from the dash, but no beep-beep. just clicka-clicka. Any ideas on replacement part I may need, and price range? If fairly cheap, will get it replaced soon...but would like to save a shop's mark-up by bringing the part myself. thanks in advance for the help.

...don't hate!.. respect people that have talent, even if it is in something you don't like or understand.

Re: Horn not working? help, please..
Friday, January 06, 2006 9:03 AM
Click click....sounds like it could be the horn its self...or the relay....
check the horn by hooking up 2 wires to to it and touching them to the battery....

If the horn works ...it could be either a broken wire to the horn or the relay....relay about 5 bucks.

Or just buy one of those novelty plates saying "HORN NOT WORKING....WATCH FOR FINGER"

"I know not with what weapons World War III
will be fought, but World War IV will be fought
with sticks and stones."
-Albert Einstine-
Friday, January 06, 2006 10:48 AM
...thanks, nytemare. dont think ive seen you post before...if you havent, welcome to jbo. if you have, my bad. since im being lazy, any idea how much a horn costs? stuck at work, cant make a personal call...

anyone else?

...don't hate!.. respect people that have talent, even if it is in something you don't like or understand.
Friday, January 06, 2006 12:58 PM
Thanks for the welcome....Ive been here for about 5 months
I've posted here a bit....but I was away for about 4 months....Military....happens a lot.

A horn cost under 30 bucks here...Canada...thats an aftermarket replacement that has double the decibel rating of the stock one....That otta be fun.

Check the wires and all first though....use a multi-meter and get someone to hit the horn...see if you have voltage getting there.
Than replace the relay if there is no voltage.

No use spending cash if that ain't the prob.

with sticks and stones."
-Albert Einstine-
Friday, January 06, 2006 3:00 PM
...good man, nytemare, thanks.

Saturday, January 07, 2006 11:48 AM
hey dont mean to thread jack. I know before on my other car it would click so obviously it was the horn now on my other car i forgot all about the click. it doesnt click. So where is the horn relay because i tthink i need one thanx

Saturday, January 07, 2006 12:17 PM
Should be up under the dash...big black square thing....there are a few up there....I think they're marked like the fuse block.
You may have to buy a manual or do a search for the diagram...
I cant remember off hand.....I only know where stuff is when I see it in front of me.....

with sticks and stones."
-Albert Einstine-
Sunday, January 08, 2006 10:26 AM
Staying on topic, what would be the easiest way to get to the connector in the column that the horn "button" plugs into short of tearing down the entire column (the wire for the horn on the back of the airbag plugs into a connector). Mine cracked in half and now no horn...

Friday, August 04, 2006 10:22 AM
Ok, so if you hear the "click click" coming from the passenger side of the dash, then the horn is probably the thing that needs replacing? This just happend on the wife's Cavalier and I was baffled. I never realized that something "clicked" when you pushed the horn.

Friday, August 04, 2006 10:26 AM
I'd pop by a salvage yard, they should be pretty cheap there. I think a lot of the GM small cars used the same one.
Don
Friday, August 04, 2006 11:39 AM
RoNuS20 wrote:Ok, so if you hear the "click click" coming from the passenger side of the dash, then the horn is probably the thing that needs replacing? This just happend on the wife's Cavalier and I was baffled. I never realized that something "clicked" when you pushed the horn.
The fact that you can hear the horn relay "clicking" doesn't necessarily mean the horn relay is good. It just means that the relay coil is actuating. The contacts could still be bad. I would check for voltage at the horn just to be sure. No voltage at the horn when the horn button is depressed could indicate a bad relay. Voltage at the horn would definetly confirm the horn is bad.

Friday, August 04, 2006 9:16 PM
Problem is the horn placement makes the horn prone to damage from the elements. If you can find the correct connector you can use a generic horn from AdvanceAuto or Autozone or Pepboys and solder the connector and just plug the power to the new horn. I was able to find a compatible connector at the junkyard just by pulling an old horn from a 98 cavalier and playing around with different connectors found on other GM cars. I found a similar connector but with the long wires so I could solder it to a generic horn. The dude at the junkyard didn't even charge me when i showed him the part... guess he figured this guy is honest, anybody else would have just pocketed the plug and not even asked the price. Anyhow, stopped by AdvanceAuto bought the horn (i stuck with the highnote, but if you want get the low note, just to have a meaner sounding cavy) and got to work with my soldering gun. After that i covered the connections with RTV and let it dry overnight. Next day I took the passenger side fenderwell out of the car. Is a whole lot of bolts to take off that plastic sheld, but once off you'll see the horn right in front of you. I mounted the new horn on the same bracket. Pluged it in and presto... no more Click Click. Paid like 14 bucks for the horn (bout a yr ago), as opposed to 50some dollars at dealership. By the way, the horn that i took out of the cavy, original from the factory, was exactly the same brand horn I bought for 14 bucks at Advance, except for the connector, the generic horn didn't have the GM connector that was it. The factory horn and the new horn were both FIAMM.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search