from what i understand - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
from what i understand
Thursday, August 07, 2008 9:58 PM
our cars have several weak points.
I'm starting a new build from STOCK and want to know what the weakest points of the car are, assuming i do build this to be an Auto-X car. What are our vehicals weakest links? as far as i know, the rear brakes being drums are a "weak" point of sorts, and the chassis stiffness is also not anything to write home about.

I've also heard that they are best for Auto-X over any other type of racing. True?

this most likley looks like a "n00b" post because, well, it is. I've owned my first Cavalier for a year now, and never really looked into what sucks most about it, only what makes it better than most. And since im only running an ECOtec (maybe a LD9), all i really know about our stuff is that our fuel and ignition systems are pretty good.

because i find it more than a bit neccessary, im going to hide under my flame proof blanket now, and wait until someone on here actually wants to help me LEARN something....... i guess thats not fair to say. nobody on JBO is a REAL big @!#$ as far as i know, but most other sites i been to just give me @!#$ for actually TRYING TO LEARN.. im getting off subject

WEAK POINTS

ok thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike wrote:The auto to manual swap is not as involved as you would think.
Get all the parts you need in a pile, and drive the car into it.
They will find their way into the correct places.

Re: from what i understand
Friday, August 08, 2008 5:07 AM
1st lesson. The ecotec and LD9 and two different engines. You have the LD9(2.4L Z-24 engine).

Friday, August 08, 2008 5:26 AM
Some weak points I can think of off the bat:

-Traction
-Lack of independent rear suspension
-Rear Drums
-Wheel hop
-Tuning based on RPM and TPS
-Oil pumps in the LD9
-Ringlands in the L61
-Chasis flex
-Crash safety (compared to most newer cars)
-Weight is so-so, not really heavy, but not a featherweight

If you're building autocross there are a couple people on here who are really into it. Problem with our car for auto-x is that if you start fixing some of the more major problems or doing something like independent rear suspension swaps, you bump yourself way out of your class and will be up against much better cars.

What's particularly good about J-bodies is they come with decent power stock, the getrag's are good transmissions, the ignition system is good, they are simple cars so there isn't as much to have go wrong, they aren't overly heavy, the parts are cheap, the L61 ecotec can take a lot of abuse and both it and the LD9 respond well to modifications, and i would think the LG0 would too. Also there are some pretty potent engine swaps that can be done reasonably straightforwardly (ie. 3400, 3800 s/c).

I'm sure there are many more great and some more bad things I'm not thinking of right now though.

*Also I think he knows the difference between the LD9 and the Eco which is why he said he is building an Eco powered car but possibly considering using the LD9 instead.

----------------------------
<<<<<2003 Sunfire Sedan>>>>>

Friday, August 08, 2008 5:53 AM
if you want to make an auto cross car go buy a 89-91 Civic Si hatch and build to the STS rules, so long as you can drive you will be at the top of the class every event. Where I would run there was about 20 people in STS, there were 3 old civic hatches al setup the same that took the top 3 spots no matter what, the real compatiion was for 4th-7th was usually tight between a group of us

Friday, August 08, 2008 6:26 AM
Darkstars wrote:if you want to make an auto cross car go buy a 89-91 Civic Si hatch and build to the STS rules, so long as you can drive you will be at the top of the class every event. Where I would run there was about 20 people in STS, there were 3 old civic hatches al setup the same that took the top 3 spots no matter what, the real competition was for 4th-7th was usually tight between a group of us

as tru down in indy.
time in the car at an auto-x event/school is where it's at. i was ousted by a 94 cavy 3400 swap no suspension mods at all. he's been racin for a while. where my car has a lot of suspension mods and should have helped me but did not since i haven't been racin all that much. drive your car as is for a year and you'll learn more about ur car. then if u think u want to jump into a more competitive class, then start moddin.

Saturday, August 09, 2008 1:38 PM
his profile says hes doing an eco swap...

so he's putting a motor in with 10 less HP that the LD9... (but with better after market support)...

IMHO 2.4 to Eco is not worth the money/time/effort unless the 2.4 is blown....

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search