the only place a 2200 belongs... (vent) - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
the only place a 2200 belongs... (vent)
Friday, July 25, 2008 6:57 PM

..the @!#$ing TRASH.

I had a 2200 in the skwirl... modded it, broke the 15 second barrier WOW

had numerous cooling system problems... partially my fault I guess... so i swapped to an eco.

my beater is a 98 sunfire, so it has the @!#$erheadvalve... I got it to run, and figured it would be ok as a daily....

wrong.

it threw the belt on me.. now this wouldn't be a prob with an ecotec since the eco water pump is driven from the timing chain.. you can drive it so long as your battery lasts and at least get to an auto store... but not on the OHV. it overheated and I had to pull over.

I tightened up the alternator (the cause of the thrown belt) replaced the belt and was on my way (after being stranded for 2 hours)

then, its been randomly overheating since then. I keep adding coolant, yet the idiot light keeps coming on that the coolant level is low. It overheated and stranded me and my gf on the side of the road while I added more water (something i keep in the sunfire religiously now) and burped the system.

It still runs hot, but hasn't overheated since.

today it threw the damn belt off again. I pulled it over, but it still overheated. I ran to the store and got another belt. replaced it and figured all was well...
I get back to work, and figured I'd take a look at it.. turns out the a/c compressor was loose. Ok, the a/c doesn't work but I'll tighten it up and all will be well.

Then I notice the engine bracket is loose.. hmm ok it ties to the a/c bracket so there's prolly some loose screws under there tighten em up and I'm good.

I take the a/c compressor out, and the bolts that hold the brackets on are snapped.

WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I hate this god damn engine.

If it had an eco, I could have driven it without the drive belt on.. it wouldn't have stupid brackets everywhere.. nothing would be in the way of everything else.. it wouldn't overheat randomly, without warning and for no reason.. hell i coulda just left the a/c compressor off and ran a smaller belt.

but no, can't do that with the WONDERFUL OHV

the only reason i bought the thing was cuz i was in a jam, and it was cheap. As SOON as i get the skwirl running this one is getting ripped apart and stuffed with an eco and a getrag.

afterwhich I'll take the 2200, drop it in the scrap hopper in work and $hit and piss on it.

I HATE OHVs

/rant

now i'm off to disassemble the front end of the @!#$ sunfire to get a drill in there and HOPEFULLY drill out those two bolts. FUN.

Re: the only place a 2200 belongs... (vent)
Friday, July 25, 2008 7:33 PM
*Flame suit on*

I love my 2200

Friday, July 25, 2008 7:39 PM
Two OHVs here without any major problems, just the normal things getting old and need replacing. Both cars have over 170k miles on them.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Friday, July 25, 2008 7:59 PM
You made some bad purchasing decisions with your original 2200, and ever since you've been bashing it as a "POS engine". I have yet to see any logic behind your opinion though...
Now negligence in the maintenance department leads to more false accusations. How is it the engine's fault that the bolts were loose? Maybe you should look at the previous owner, or mechanic? Oh yeah, you can run a shorter belt w/o an A/C compressor. You should know that, being an LN2 genious and whatnot...
Your words tend to become the uninformed's gospel, it would be nice if you were a little more cautious in your preachings

Built 94-97 head for sale: http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/47069/

Friday, July 25, 2008 8:28 PM
OHV notec wrote:You made some bad purchasing decisions with your original 2200, and ever since you've been bashing it as a "POS engine". I have yet to see any logic behind your opinion though...

Lets see, before any modification whatsoever the old 2200 in the skwirl had a cooling problem. checked the thermostat, and oh hey it works fine.. put it back together and it overheats randomly.

Is purging the cooling system a daily thing for the OHV? why is this a problem with the current one I have also? I've NEVER had a cooling issue with an ecotec EVER.

want me to quantify my stereotype? ok..
1/4 mile honor roll wrote:

A) 2.2L Ecotec N/A
1. Ben Wenzel Jr., 13.442 @ 104.08
2. DaFlyinSkwirl (PJ), 14.004 @ 96.76
3. Owen Stampflee, 14.446 @ 93.74

B) 2.2L Ecotec (Power Adders)
1. Adam Hahn, 11.145 @ 125.32
2. SunCavi, 11.946 @ 114.73
3. hypsy, 12.536 @ 104.43

C) 2.3/2.4 L Twin Cam N/A
1. Karo, 13.125 @ 101.01
2. Brandon Blaga, 13.934 @ 97.82
3. SpeedRacerZ, 14.648 @ 96.01

D) 2.3/2.4 L Twin Cam (Power Adders)
1. Brandon Fetter,, 11.944 @ 122.21
2. Karo, 12.051@111.767 (N2O)
3. Jeff Filkins, 12.5 @ 117.57

E) 2.2L OHV N/A
1. smcavalier, 15.698 @ 91.07
2. Bballjamal (Cav-AtL), 15.710 @ 89.64
3. Nate Halter, 15.824 @ 89.46

F) 2.2L OHV (Power Adders)
1. Adler, 13.203 @ 108.13
2. Mike Teets (scrufdog), 13.92 @ 92.4 mph (N2O)
3. Shawn Michel, 13.965 @ 96.82 (Turbo)

yes its performance potential is obvious.

Quote:

Now negligence in the maintenance department leads to more false accusations. How is it the engine's fault that the bolts were loose? Maybe you should look at the previous owner, or mechanic?

because I personally tightened those bolts as well as every other on the engine in the car. the original one was tossed out due to a head with a chunk missing from the combustion chamber and caked up coolant in the water passages.

the bolts didn't loosen, THEY BROKE.

Quote:

Oh yeah, you can run a shorter belt w/o an A/C compressor.

ORLY? show me the belt diagram please.. is this with or without a delete pulley? if you need a delete pulley, guess what.. you don't on the ecotec. just get a shorter belt, and call it a day.

Quote:

You should know that, being an LN2 genious and whatnot...

the greatest knowledge of this engine is to know that its useful only as a boat anchor.. or maybe ammunition for a trebuchet?

Quote:

Your words tend to become the uninformed's gospel, it would be nice if you were a little more cautious in your preachings

90hp stock, poor cooling design, poor valvetrain, poor head design, poor aftermarket...

yup I should definitely watch it, i'm totally misinformed as to how many parts and objects are obstructions when working on these things.. this is in the way of that, etc etc.

anyway, this is a vent thread. i'm angry lol.

you want the OHV after I yank it? come and get it I'll give it away. ask jazer.

Friday, July 25, 2008 9:18 PM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:Lets see, before any modification whatsoever the old 2200 in the skwirl had a cooling problem. checked the thermostat, and oh hey it works fine.. put it back together and it overheats randomly.
Is purging the cooling system a daily thing for the OHV? why is this a problem with the current one I have also? I've NEVER had a cooling issue with an ecotec EVER.
Sounds like my DSM, lol. I'm not sure how technical you are, but there's more to a cooling system than a the thermostat I don't see how your isolated problem makes it a poor engine, unless you can provide the offending design or production flaw...
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:want me to quantify my stereotype? ok..
yes its performance potential is obvious.
Just because it doesn't have phenominal out-of-the-box performance does not mean it's a poor engine. I know of many low-power motors that have been named some of the best of all time. Horizons expand outside PJ-land I suppose...
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:the original one was tossed out due to a head with a chunk missing from the combustion chamber and caked up coolant in the water passages.
Out of curiosity, standard coolant or GM Dexcrap?
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:the bolts didn't loosen, THEY BROKE.
Rusted, overtorqued,... It's not like GM decided to use lower grade bolts on these engines or something.
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:ORLY? show me the belt diagram please.. is this with or without a delete pulley? if you need a delete pulley, guess what.. you don't on the ecotec. just get a shorter belt, and call it a day.
Between the picture and the fact that the non-AC belt is 2ft shorter, it seems pretty obvious to me... I don't see why you would need a delete pulley.
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:90hp stock
That's Whp, lol. Maybe when mated to the slushbox 3-spd lol. The ECO isn't spectacular either though, considering it's a "modern" engine.
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:poor cooling design
Seems to only be a problem with yours?
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:poor valvetrain, poor head design
Why, because it's "outdated"? There are many pros and cons on each side of the OHV vs OHC argument. Unfortunately, wussy NHV media critics have your side.
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:poor aftermarket...
No, if you want everything handed to you on a silver platter, the LN2 is definitely not your cup of tea.
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:yup I should definitely watch it, i'm totally misinformed as to how many parts and objects are obstructions when working on these things.. this is in the way of that, etc etc.
The only one I can think of is the ECU on the 2002, but then again, the ECO had that also...What specific problems do you have?
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:anyway, this is a vent thread. i'm angry lol.
Hey, I'm allowed to vent too, lol.
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:you want the OHV after I yank it? come and get it I'll give it away. ask jazer.
If you didn't live on the other side of the planet, I'd be there Of course, if I lived out there, I'd also have Doomie to put it in

Friday, July 25, 2008 9:22 PM
lol at least we can both take jabs and agree to disagree.

I managed to get those two bolts out and put in longer ones to HOPEFULLY prevent the same problem in the future. Wasn't as bad as I anticipated initially.. I managed to get a drill in with only dropping the radiator and a/c condenser.

u sure about the belt routing? I don't know how comfortable I would feel having the water pump driven by that little bit of belt, not to mention its on the BACK side of the belt.
If you are, I wish I would have known that a few weeks ago when the a/c pulley was screaming like a mofo..

Friday, July 25, 2008 10:12 PM
true on no delete pulley.

Im running it currently, went to napa, asked for the non AC belt, took the entire AC compressor out...bingo, done. No overheating on a built 2200.

I also used two spacers (hollow punch stock) to make spacers for between the engine torque mount @!#$etry and the block where the flange for the ac compressor bracket normally sits.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Saturday, July 26, 2008 8:11 AM
OHV notec wrote:
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:Lets see, before any modification whatsoever the old 2200 in the skwirl had a cooling problem. checked the thermostat, and oh hey it works fine.. put it back together and it overheats randomly.
Sounds like my DSM, lol. I'm not sure how technical you are, but there's more to a cooling system than a the thermostat I don't see how your isolated problem makes it a poor engine, unless you can provide the offending design or production flaw...

I agree. Did you even think to check relay/sensors? The only time I've had cooling problems with my OHVs (I've had 2) were when the cooling fan relays went bad. Both cars did that at around 120k miles. I would hardly call that a major flaw. I drive the piss out of my car on a daily basis, and have never had any major trouble. My 99 Sunfire just turned over 141k miles and all I've had to replace was one relay and the primary o2 sensor. Maybe OHVs just hate you as much as you hate them.

Saturday, July 26, 2008 3:27 PM
@!#$ you seriously
you had a bad experience with an engine and now its complete and utter garbage in all existences?
thats exactly what is wrong with most people. Like they had a Ford in 1978 that died after 250,000 miles and now to them all fords are @!#$. Or some guy thinks his Honda is better because he can do 45834589 engine swaps and his pontiac is much harder to work with.
Something went wrong with your cars engine because of human error, which led to some sort of mechanical failure. Its not its damn fault. My old cav had over-heating issues after a radiator hose broke. It was a pain in the ass since! Does that make all engines of its kind a piece of @!#$? no, the circumstances create problems, not the engine itself (unless its an inherent design flaw)

Saturday, July 26, 2008 4:18 PM
listen, a car shouldn't run hot or overheat while its moving. relays and sensors have nothing to do with it. a fan should run when you're sitting still, not when you're driving at 75mph.. I'm not an idiot.

themarin8r wrote:@!#$ you seriously

go back to OT where you belong

Saturday, July 26, 2008 4:45 PM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:listen, a car shouldn't run hot or overheat while its moving. relays and sensors have nothing to do with it. a fan should run when you're sitting still, not when you're driving at 75mph.. I'm not an idiot.

I used to think the exact same thing until I saw it with my own eyes. I had replaced the thermostat and flushed the system and it still ran hot (even while moving at higher speeds). Both of mine had trouble with running hot while moving, and both were solved with replacing relays. I don't really understand it, but hey whatever works.

Saturday, July 26, 2008 4:49 PM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:listen, a car shouldn't run hot or overheat while its moving. relays and sensors have nothing to do with it. a fan should run when you're sitting still, not when you're driving at 75mph.. I'm not an idiot.

themarin8r wrote:@!#$ you seriously

go back to OT where you belong

thats all you can say? really?
nice retort
if a motor is not getting cooled properly it will over heat regardless of the speed you are going unless they are designed to be air cooled, and obviously these are not
ever think that overheating it the first time led to overheating problems later?
get over yourself

Saturday, July 26, 2008 5:01 PM
lS61 FTW.

But theres nothing wrong with pushrods

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Saturday, July 26, 2008 5:29 PM
I thought only us LD9 Guys had cooling issues ?

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Saturday, July 26, 2008 5:40 PM
i dont know about the boat anchor idea, this engine is to much of a pile of crap to even be reliable at that!!!

Sunday, July 27, 2008 7:34 PM
CrAzY Z24 wrote:i dont know about the boat anchor idea, this engine is to much of a pile of crap to even be reliable at that!!!

and in your registry all it says is that you've owned a Z24...

So you base your opinion off of what exactly?

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Sunday, July 27, 2008 10:01 PM
Alex Richards wrote:
CrAzY Z24 wrote:i dont know about the boat anchor idea, this engine is to much of a pile of crap to even be reliable at that!!!
So you base your opinion off of what exactly?
Unsubstantiated claims by PJ

Monday, July 28, 2008 7:37 AM
I like my 2200

Monday, July 28, 2008 9:30 AM
PJ I love you but i disagree.

I have a shorter belt on mine, with no AC compressor, I yanked it when I put Skwirlys old block in. (if you look at the wiring diagram in the haynes manual for the engine it shows the way the belt should be routed for both the 2200s with the AC option & without... because they come stock like that too)

As far as cooling issues, the only time Kav ever had one was when the idiots that installed my system back in the day left something in the engine bay that tore a big hole in my radiator. That was "self inflicted" not the engine' fault.

You probably just had bad luck, but it doesn't mean the engine is a piece of @!#$, lol.

I'm not totally bias (anymore) either.... I love my lil eco, but I still love my lil OHV too...

And as far as your Sunfire, I hate to say it, but stuff like that happens when you buy a car for really cheap... replacing the engine, isn't replacing everything in the engine bay. A well-maintained OHV will last a LONG time.

For example I know someone who changes the oil in his boosted LD9 and puts the old oil into his beater, an OHV, metal shavings and all. It doesn't miss a beat. He can admit it if he chooses to, however I'll leave that up to him.

Monday, July 28, 2008 10:31 AM
That's me! Used oil into the 2200... it burns oil a bit so I use it to "dispense" of my oil on my shelves from Sweetness. lol.

No cooling problems on the 2.2 beater... hell I let it run over 2 quarts low on oil and all it does is turn on the oil light... 1 oil change in 2 years. I'm the first to admit I don't maintain my beater but it's because I firmly believe i shouldn't have to... It's gotten a new starter and a new alt and a new power steering pump in that time, and that's it. Runs quite well... even with the main rad hose having a pinhole ductaped and clamped shut.

There's a reason I treat that engine like garbage tho...

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...

Monday, July 28, 2008 10:34 AM
Because it can take it, right Chris?

Monday, July 28, 2008 11:44 AM
i have worked on many 2.2's, and there junk, all of them, so who u think u are alex??? oh i know, ignorant, and have a pile of slow turds that a 1977 honda civic could waste you

Monday, July 28, 2008 2:25 PM
CrAzY Z24 wrote:i have worked on many 2.2's, and there junk, all of them, so who u think u are alex??? oh i know, ignorant, and have a pile of slow turds that a 1977 honda civic could waste you

umm..... chill?

Monday, July 28, 2008 3:52 PM
CrAzY Z24 wrote:i have worked on many 2.2's, and there junk, all of them

They're not meant for speed, they're meant for reliability. Only having to replace the water pump in 125k miles certainly doesn't constitute junk.

DIAF

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search