J-body.... a dieing bread...or - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
J-body.... a dieing bread...or
Saturday, January 27, 2007 7:35 AM
I have been a member here since 2004, and been observing the site from 2001. So many people have come and gone. Some good , some helpful, and some bad. Lately I have been noticing that the org is improving with less, "SEARCH...if you search you will find everything you need", but it is less new posts ..."to me seem to be down." GM is not making any more j-bodies... is the sight going to die, or will it continue for years to come..... and become like some of the "classic car sites." Hell some J-body on this site can be considered classics. I just wondering what everyones opinion is.

Will YOU still own your j-body for years to come, or will YOU end up restoring a j-body like people restore muscle cars today? As weird as that may sound.

I know I will have my POS 1999 Z24 cavalier until....... probably I die or it literally blows up. No matter how much I hate my car, or it pisses me off. I still believe it holds more memories than anything I can remember. The good, bad, & ugly the car & I have seen it all, and hopefully will see many more years to come. Maybe I am weird, but that teal car holds a place dear in my heart.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Re: J-body.... a dieing bread...or
Saturday, January 27, 2007 7:51 AM
I think everything becomes a classic eventually if you keep it long enough. In a few more years when you don't see as many J's still rollin and in good shape, then it will be even cooler to have one. I wish I had kept my 1st gen Z24 cause now when I see one it looks even better to me then when I drove one. Plus, if you keep a car that you had a lot of fun workin on, it has a ton of sentimental value. My brother had a 78 Trans Am that he did up and he got rid of that that one too. Can you imagine if it was still around? 400 cubic inches, 6 spd manual, RWD and the motor was fully done (forged internals.. the works). We'll see if I keep this one. I do have the chance to keep it in good shape as it is not my DD anymore. I don't think it will ever rank up there with the classic muscle cars or anything; but hey who knows LOL.

Saturday, January 27, 2007 8:26 AM
I'll have mine till it blows up. Or until I buy a house and need a truck. When I first bought it, I wasn't that excited about owning it. It has grown on me and if I lose it, I won't be that happy about it. And the 6 year loan (ouch!) that I got on it makes me need to hold on to it for awhile

Best quarter mile to date - 15.750 @ 85.82
"We ride together, we die together. Bad Boys for life"

Nimbus 9, some friends of my that rock! Click and experience them for yourself
Saturday, January 27, 2007 9:53 AM
i will keep my 4 door j that im workign on
and ill buy another 2 door j that will be stock for its life

i will love them both, along with my fbody collection that willg row!

Saturday, January 27, 2007 10:06 AM
I've toyed with the idea of selling the convertible a lot...but every time I think about it, I almost get sick. The main reason is I don't wanna see it around town with some tool driving it...but I'm also proud of what the car once was. I know that without the air ride, its not the same caliber car that it was in its prime....but after putting 178,000 miles on my baby, she's basically like part of the family. I think even if one day she needs a new motor, I'll always have her around.

I myself haven't posted on the org for months...I got tired of all the stupid people...but I got bored one day and stopped by to check out where JBO has ended up. I've been posting again this week and its cool to see that a lot of the stupid people either left, or just aren't posting in the posts that I've been in.

~Kilo

Saturday, January 27, 2007 10:23 AM
i myself have plans to keep both of my cavaliers for as long as i live. my dream is to one day see them side by side in a brand new garage completly finished to what i want and on that day i will probly hand the keys over to my son. i hate to say it, but my cavaliers are a very big part of my life, there isnt a day that goes by that i dont think about what im going to do or what i would like to do etc on my cars. sure some may laugh at me, some may think im stupid... but its not the car, its the dream. its the fact that every day you wake up and have something to do and look forward to do, its a hobby, its a lifestyle... it doesnt matter what you do in life-if you put ur soul into it and its YOURS-thats the meaning of life to me-weather its a car or a family-everybody has to have something to do in life.

As for this website, id like to see it stay around for years to come, i frequent this site every day and look forward to reading posts and keeping up with friends.

Saturday, January 27, 2007 10:31 AM
SnazziZ24 wrote:I got tired of all the stupid people...

~Kilo

exactly, got my new car and started exploring other forums - found out this asshatery here, is 10 fold of that ive found on most of the rest of the net.

I'll pop in now and then, to check on some of the progress threads in P/M ive been whatching. But the daily checks of this site are done.

Bigboi OUT!

Saturday, January 27, 2007 1:22 PM
Well as some have said, my Cavy is not my DD anymore and I have bigger and better plans on tap for her. I'm sure I'll have it for years to come and I do come by JBO at least every other day to see what is going on and how things are going on a few cars I follow.

I think it's a nice platform and now that I have the Ecotec SC on her and bigger plans for some power and finally got my system installed and a few other things, I can't see getting rid of the car ever!

I'm sure one of my kids will take the controls over in the next few years as far as posting and following JBO but I could be wrong. My daughter is more interested in the car than my son is. Kind of weird and I know the young guys on here will enjoy her when she starts posting up! She's a handful to say the least (14 now going on 20!)

So I'd like to see JBO stay around as I've made some lifetime friends and always look forward to those who are pushing the limits of the J and the Ecotec.

I'd say it will slow down but it won't die!

Eh...old man with a Corvette now...it was bound to happen sooner rather than later right?
Saturday, January 27, 2007 2:19 PM
bread ? or breed ?....

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Saturday, January 27, 2007 2:30 PM
i will keep the skwirl forever

I love jbodies

I couldn't see myself really driving anything else and loving it as much. I've owned a mkIII supra turbo, and I sold it to mod my cavalier instead. I've driven an EVO9 MR, and yea it was fast and everything and it felt nice but I still love the skwirl above all else.

That, and I know what my car will be in the near future... I love jbodies including the stereotype associated with them. They're so capable yet not a lot of people realize it. One of the very few true 'sleepers' left since even people in 4 cylinder circles don't consider it a threatening platform at all.

Saturday, January 27, 2007 3:42 PM
both my sedans are going away , but my coupe , will be a force to beat

Saturday, January 27, 2007 4:01 PM
i plan to keep mine forever.. and now im not just saying that, i just got my 97 but im sure it will bring me much fun like my poor 96.

----------
i keep it gully like im havin a old friend for lunch
http://diggininthecrates.tripod.com
Saturday, January 27, 2007 4:20 PM
My Z was my first car, and it is a 5 speed vert what i wanted for a long time, too many memories and learned a lot, my Gf is also keeping hers, 1996 LS vert 5 speed. I love these cars because I know so much, I can tell you the size of each bolt off hand and could take them in and out with my eyes shut.

I had one 2000 Z24, I sold to someone at my college and see it every day, makes me sad that I dont won it anymore but nice to see someone injoy it. these car kick ass for the money.

Anyways, all cars become classics, I am trying to find an old hatch to restore, there are two up the street from me, who would have thought anyone would want them?

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible
2.3-2.4 HO ADAPTER FLANGES 65$ shipped, Check GP Forum!
Saturday, January 27, 2007 5:20 PM
I will always own a J-body (at least one). My very first car was a 89 cavalier. It was just a good driving car and got me hooked. I have had a 97 Z24, another 89 cavy wagon, my 2001 Z24 that I currently have and then the Grim Reaper a 96 Z24. I have never owned anything other than a J. I do plan to own other cars, but always have a J. There really is nothing I have not done with a J, or to a J. great cars really.

FU Tuning

Saturday, January 27, 2007 7:19 PM
I've been restoring my 86 here and there as time & money allow. People here at JBO have been a great source for parts & information.

I am glad there is a site that caters to us, and I think many of us will hold onto our cars in the future. Nostalgia is relative to the time you grew up...so these are the cars we will long for when we're older. They may not be as valuable or well-built as the "old cars" our parents collect, but they are still fun to own and drive.

Saturday, January 27, 2007 8:02 PM
I'll keep my silver car forever, well untill I wrech it beyond repair, the gay tan cav.... @!#$ that car, if it got stolen I'd only be mad if my I-Pass and I=pod were in it, that car I could less about, but the silver car is my first born

Saturday, January 27, 2007 8:08 PM
Only time will tell...

Saturday, January 27, 2007 8:53 PM
Kevin Richter wrote:Only time will tell...

Exactly. Who thought a '57 Bel-Air would be a collector item or that any car would become worth more than when you bought it? I'm keeping my 'Fire until I'm forced to give it up.

* Student of the University of Oklahoma. Go Sooners!

Sunday, January 28, 2007 12:11 AM
Most likely I'll drive my cav till it dies or I decide to get something else. I love my cav and a lot of good memories go with it but I've always wanted a camaro since I've been into cars, so hopefully by the time I've decided I'll be able to afford the new camaro.

Sunday, January 28, 2007 6:45 AM
I used to think that I would keep my cav forever...but here I am already forced to put it up for sale....and ive only had it for 6 years! if by some chance i cant sell it and do end up keeping it, then id like to keep it for as long as possible. id like to show it to my son (or daughter) one day.

maybe by the time they are in their teens our generation will be buying rusted 86 crx hatch backs or 99 z24s and fixing them up, putting new boosted engines in them and body kits, etc. i would really love to see them go full circle like muscle cars did...and i think there is a good chance to do that. i mean the whole tuner scene to too big to go away permanantly

as for this site.....well i think it will slowly die down, but not completely. i mean as people stop driving or modding their Js they will float away. only the die hards will frequent the board. and then maybe another 20 years down the road if/when people start to fix these cars up again we will get a new influx of people.

Check out my CARDOMAIN page
THE BASH IS BACK....CLICK ME CLICK ME CLICK ME!!!
Sunday, January 28, 2007 9:01 AM
ill keep my Z24 for as long as possible. even if it dies and i have to replace major things, like the engine, i think ill still keep it around. i love it, its a fun little ride, and i kno im always gonna be modding it and changing ideas with it until i absolutely HAVE to get rid of it.

as for the site, i havent posted here in a while, kinda a combination of me getting sick of the "asshats" making idiotic posts and un-needed harsh comments, and also partially due to the fact that ive had a whole bunch of other things goin on in my life, the car and many other things just kinda got put on hold. but i hope to be around a lot more in coming time... but aside from all the idiots who are only here to make waves, there is a lot of good information laying around on this site, and a lot of very helpful people. rite now i know if i really want to i can find almost anything i need, and i hope that will be around for a while but as it was said before, only time will tell.

Sunday, January 28, 2007 11:41 AM
DaFlyinSkwirl (PJ) - BPU++ wrote:i will keep the skwirl forever

I love jbodies
Same here. I wouldn't give up my cavalier for anything; its my first car and i plan on keeping it forever, no matter what it takes to keep it. Everyone at my high school is just like "wow why are you modding a cavalier; thats embarrasing, its a cavalier". I love my car because of that and because its better than what they are driving; which are mostly 80-90s blazer and explorers or other rusted pieces of you know. But for the people that have ridden in my car, they love it. I get compliments all the time on how quick it is how great it sounds, and how well it handles which i love (and the best part is is that it is mostly stock). Its my pride and joy and i take love owning, working, and modding it because its mine. I could care less of what people think about it.

As for the JBO, its been great. Even though there are those few losers on here, its been a tremendous help to me and I know other people too. I am on here everyday; whether it be I am bored or actually looking for info. Its been a great tool and has helped me learn sooo much about my cavalier and cars in general. I think tabasco said it pretty good; it will probly die down sometime just because of members that come and go. Eventually there won't be as many questions needed to be asked because they have been asked before. I hope it stays around for years to come, its part of my everyday life.

Sunday, January 28, 2007 12:01 PM
my 'bird his here to stay...

Monday, January 29, 2007 5:15 AM
BlueDeuce wrote: My daughter is more interested in the car than my son is. Kind of weird and I know the young guys on here will enjoy her when she starts posting up! She's a handful to say the least (14 now going on 20!)

Same with my daughter and son! She'll be fourteen It a couple of months.

http://www.myspace.com/jivepepper
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/197693
vvvvvvvv First time ever to a track vvvvv
1/8 8.4 @91 2.2 60', 1/4 12.6 @121 2.2 60'
^^^^Broken limited slip one wheel peal^^^^
Spring mods: Cams/forged rear build/slicks
Monday, January 29, 2007 10:52 AM
Not sure how long I'll keep mine. Most likely I will end up hitting something and banging it up worst than what I just did where it will end up totaled out. Then I'll probably steal the drivetrain out and drop it into my Fiero. Supercharged LD9 + Fiero = wheeeeeee!

But unless/until that happens, I'll keep on happily driving the piss out of it until it dies. Twice. The first time I will fix it. The second time I will make sure that it is so broken that I never have to work on it again.

Fun car for the dough none-the-less. Although if somebody offered to trade me even on a Solstice, I'd be hard-pressed to say no.

-------------------------------------------------
Sleeper style, they don't see it coming that way.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search