Thinking of buying Wings West products? READ FIRST - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Thinking of buying Wings West products? READ FIRST
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 4:00 PM
YOU MAY NOT HAVE A WARRANTY WITH YOUR PURCHASE.

It hasn't even been a year since I bought my Wings West "Commando" spoiler from a major distributor and it has already developed stress cracks in at least 3 locations. The wing was professionally installed and painted by a bodyshop, and "drain holes" were respected and left open. I believe these cracks to be a design flaw or a manufacturing defect, which should be covered under the "lifetime warranty" that Wings West supposedly offers customers of their products... Yet when I call Wings West to get the wing repaired or replaced under warranty, they refuse to deal with it offering excuses like "You didn't buy directly from us, we can't do anything for you.. talk to the distributor you purchased it from." and "We discontinued the warranty, so we can't replace it.. you will have to fix it yourself."- even though the warranty is clearly visible on their homepage. I called the distributor I purchased the spoiler from and they said that the Wings West warranty requires that the defective object must be returned to Wings West, and that they cannot take the spoiler. I called Wings West again and explained this to them, and was told "We don't have a record of the sale so we cannot do anything for you. Send it to the distributor, and they will have to send it to us." So I called the distributor again and explained what Wings West explained to me. They tried to get to the bottom of it themselves and were told "Because Wings West filed for bankruptcy, and the new owner (ViS) purchased it, they no longer honor old warranties."

So I'm basically stuck repairing and repainting a defective spoiler myself with no guarantees that it wont break again because it may very well be a design flaw.

Just figured I'd let everybody know about my experience in case you were considering a Wings West product purchase. Be aware that you may not be getting a lifetime warranty, in fact you may not be getting ANY warranty.

Some pics of the bigger cracks:

WIsh I had known about all of this before I purchased a Wings West product.. oh well..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, August 23, 2006 4:03 PM

Re: Thinking of buying Wings West products? READ FIRST
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 5:34 PM
Wings West was bought out by VIS about 1-2 years ago... all the products are made over seas now from what I recall and are shipped to the states.... chances are the quality of work has gone down.... good luck with it.

Re: Thinking of buying Wings West products? READ FIRST
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 5:59 PM
sorry to hear gary.
thanks for giving everyone a heads up though. very useful information.

-Www.IznTrbl.Com-
Re: Thinking of buying Wings West products? READ F
Wednesday, August 23, 2006 6:54 PM
the second crack is in an odd location

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 8:07 PM
The VIS stuff is made overseas, but the quality is still high. As for the Wings West products, I'm not sure where they are made...

But that doesn't matter for your current situation, since it was purchased before the bankruptcy & buy-out by VIS, so the quality should have still been good.

www.TaillightTinting.com #1 SOURCE FOR VHT NITE SHADES
www.aPlusPerformance.com BACK ONLINE SOMETIME SOON!
PHONE 763-682-9945

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 9:19 PM
My Mini-me spoiler is still good besides a few paint chips. And the big mouth front bumper i have sitting in my garage is in perfect condition.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 11:39 PM
My Commando spoiler is cracked in the same place (on both sides) as your first pic. I believe it's the seam where the two parts are put together.

Thursday, August 24, 2006 3:56 AM
quit whining.. just put some duct tape on it and itll be fine.. j/k

sucks tho, my buddy just got a big mouth kit for his civic tho and had no probs with it.. but its urethane.. im assuming the spoilers are fiberglass?

Thursday, August 24, 2006 4:27 AM
thats the car gods telling you how ugly wings are.

anyway i dont think you will be able to use the warrenty since ww sold almost 2 years ago

Thursday, August 24, 2006 9:13 AM
[quote=ßãggéÐÇåv98 (Ûñqùðtäߣè Øñé)]thats the car gods telling you how ugly wings are.

anyway i dont think you will be able to use the warrenty since ww sold almost 2 years ago

Why not? He didn't even buy it a year ago...

"The Blue Bullet"
Thursday, August 24, 2006 9:25 AM
my RK Sport touring wing is cracking along the leading edge of the runner so i feel your pain. that suck that its happening on such a beautiful car though, and the bastards wont validate their warranty.

simple minds talk about other people.
average minds talk about events.
great minds discuss ideas

Thursday, August 24, 2006 1:25 PM
I don't think i have ever seen a commando that didn't crack.

Thursday, August 24, 2006 1:47 PM
Sucks when top name companies dont life up to their ...... name.

Sorry w00t.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search