How to turn a Sunfire SE Sedan into a GT Sedan? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How to turn a Sunfire SE Sedan into a GT Sedan?
Sunday, August 13, 2006 11:23 AM
For quite a while now my dream car has been a 2002 Ultra Silver Metallic Sunfire SE Sedan. My first car (1994 Pontiac Sunbird LE) is a Sedan and I am used to driving / riding in Sedans. In other words, I have always had a soft spot in my heart for them, not to mention it's just easier when you have people / dogs who ride in the back seat all the time. Also, I love having my car stand out from the crowd and what better way than to have, not only a Sunfire, but a Sunfire Sedan !

As of late, I have been thinking how cool it would be to have a Sunfire "GT" Sedan. I want a Sedan, but I love everything my GT has, especially the body styling so why not get the best of both worlds?

I am wondering what all would be needed to turn a 2002 Sunfire SE Sedan into a true (or as close to true as possible) 2002 Sunfire GT Sedan?

I know the obvious stuff like:
- GT front bumper / crush guard / front wheel well liners
- working factory fog lights / working factory fog light switch
- front license plate filler
- GT-specific wheels
- dual exhaust
- leather wrapped steering wheel, shift knob and e-brake handle
- front seats that flip forward / driver's seat with lumbar adjuster / passenger seat with back pocket
- power sunroof / power sunroof switch
- cruise control / intermittent windshield wipers
- power mirrors / power locks / power windows / alarm

I also know the GTs came with the FE2 suspension. What is the difference with this suspension and how hard would it be to turn the SE suspension into the FE2 suspension? For example, I know the FE2 comes with a front sway bar. Would the "swap" be possible with all aftermarket parts or no? Or better yet, was the FE2 suspension an option on Sedans?

Were there any 2002 Sedans built with the ECOTEC engine? I swear I've seen one before (a stock one, not a swap), but I could be wrong. I don't want to be looking for something that doesn't really exist.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: How to turn a Sunfire SE Sedan into a GT Sedan
Sunday, August 13, 2006 11:53 AM
they dont make Sunfire Sedan GTs? hmm i know they make Cavalier Sedan Z24s.. i've seen a couple of those but i was told it might be a Canadian thing?

Sunday, August 13, 2006 12:28 PM
^^ yeah canada has the Z24 after like 2000 and z24 sedans. dont get all tocuhy if im worng but i think those are about the right dates and stuff...feel free to correct.

FOR SALE: (5) '95-'99 Z24 Rims
Sunday, August 13, 2006 2:12 PM
Manta Z(The Primered One)[/quote wrote:they dont make Sunfire Sedan GTs? hmm i know they make Cavalier Sedan Z24s.. i've seen a couple of those but i was told it might be a Canadian thing?

Nope, they never made Sunfire GT Sedans . The only person I have seen, around here anyway, who has done a pretty close, if not complete, GT swap is Stephen Smith. His car is my inspiration .

J TO ENVY wrote:Were there any 2002 Sedans built with the ECOTEC engine? I swear I've seen one before (a stock one, not a swap), but I could be wrong. I don't want to be looking for something that doesn't really exist.

I answered this question on my own. According to the 2002 Sunfire brochure, the ECOTEC engine was indeed available on the Sedans w00t. It would be pretty sweet if I could find one with an ECOTEC .

Sunday, August 13, 2006 5:27 PM
You'll have to mod a set of coupe GT sideskirts to fit the sedan.

Quote:

Would the "swap" be possible with all aftermarket parts or no? Or better yet, was the FE2 suspension an option on Sedans?

Should, since the only real difference that I can find from FE1 to FE2 is the change from an 18m sway bar to a 22mm sway bar.

Sunday, August 13, 2006 5:30 PM
hey man up here in canada they made sunfire sedans SLX with the 2.4 or the ecotec depending on when u got it. It was basically the bigger engine the monsoon radio and power everything
Sunday, August 13, 2006 6:02 PM
Kardain wrote:You'll have to mod a set of coupe GT sideskirts to fit the sedan.

Actually, I have never really liked the door skins on the GT Coupes, so I figured instead what I would do is use '95-'99 Cavalier Z24 side skirts like Stephen Smith did. To me they basically look the same as the GT Coupe side skirts minus the door skins of course.

pass_The_J wrote:hey man up here in canada they made sunfire sedans SLX with the 2.4 or the ecotec depending on when u got it. It was basically the bigger engine the monsoon radio and power everything

Good to know, but where's the fun in buying one when you can build it instead ?

Basically, the hardest part of this whole project will be finding an '02 Ultra Silver Metallic Sunfire Sedan with a semi-low mileage ECOTEC engine. Everything else can be purchased from junkyards, eBay or aftermarket companies. It may take a while but someday I will have a GT Sedan !

Sunday, August 13, 2006 11:24 PM
WTF. I've never seen that sedan before....its hottness. You must do one like that! Oh how i regret not going 2k gt front.

Monday, August 14, 2006 5:48 AM
Laffs99GT wrote:WTF. I've never seen that sedan before....its hottness. You must do one like that! Oh how i regret not going 2k gt front.

Seriously?? Ramairsedan's been around here near as long as I have. He's kept a somewhat low profile but is a respected veteran of the scene here and a Precizion member to boot.

Monday, August 14, 2006 6:46 AM
I probably have seen it before, just forgot, I tend to do that. Plus I've only been around for a little over a year or two, active for less then that. My statement of "DO THAT" still stands J to Envy

Monday, August 14, 2006 12:37 PM
Wild Weasel wrote:
Laffs99GT wrote:WTF. I've never seen that sedan before....its hottness. You must do one like that! Oh how i regret not going 2k gt front.

Seriously?? Ramairsedan's been around here near as long as I have. He's kept a somewhat low profile but is a respected veteran of the scene here and a Precizion member to boot.

I know I haven't been here THAT long, but I can honestly say ive never seen it. Its sweet as hell.

One other member that comes to mind who had a Sedan GT is Nickesix, his car was amazing. CLICK HERE FOR HIS PROFILE

Re: How to turn a Sunfire SE Sedan into a GT Sedan?
Monday, August 14, 2006 1:55 PM
J TO ENVY wrote:
I know the obvious stuff like:
- GT front bumper / crush guard / front wheel well liners
- working factory fog lights / working factory fog light switch
- front license plate filler
- GT-specific wheels
- dual exhaust
- leather wrapped steering wheel, shift knob and e-brake handle
- front seats that flip forward / driver's seat with lumbar adjuster / passenger seat with back pocket
- power sunroof / power sunroof switch
- cruise control / intermittent windshield wipers
- power mirrors / power locks / power windows / alarm

I also know the GTs came with the FE2 suspension. What is the difference with this suspension and how hard would it be to turn the SE suspension into the FE2 suspension? For example, I know the FE2 comes with a front sway bar. Would the "swap" be possible with all aftermarket parts or no? Or better yet, was the FE2 suspension an option on Sedans?

Were there any 2002 Sedans built with the ECOTEC engine? I swear I've seen one before (a stock one, not a swap), but I could be wrong. I don't want to be looking for something that doesn't really exist.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

let me help out another Sunfire person.
If you want a Sunfire Sedan with the Ecotec in it, you can find them. Their build date will be from Oct-Nov 2001 to around July/2002. The optional engine was worth about $400 (L61/LD9). Usually dealers ordered them with the 15in tires on it instead of 14s.
2.4L engine were stopped being produced in Sept-Oct 2001... I tell you because I searched hard for one in March of 2002.

And if you want to get specific on this...

- GT front bumper / crush guard / front wheel well liners--- yes
- working factory fog lights / working factory fog light switch--- yes
- front license plate filler---yes
- GT-specific wheels---yes
- dual exhaust--- yes
- leather wrapped steering wheel, shift knob and e-brake handle---yes
- front seats that flip forward / driver's seat with lumbar adjuster / passenger seat with back pocket--- not needed as you will have a 4 door, instead try the GT specific cloth trim.
- power sunroof / power sunroof switch ---No, 4-doors never came with a sunroof from the factory
- cruise control / intermittent windshield wipers--- No, CC was optional, variable delay was optional too, one speed intermitent wipers was standard.
- power mirrors / power locks / power windows / alarm---No all that was optional too.

add
-CD player--- GT was standard
-Monsoon was optional only on coupes too
-Conveniance package was optional on GT only-- It included trunk net, reading lamps, assit handle, and overhead storage console. But when you had the sunroof...the storage console and assist handle would be deleted.... In my case, I intalled the assist handle even with the sunroof. The storage console would not fit because the S/R switch is there.

If you need any more info let me know.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Monday, August 14, 2006 7:08 PM
FE2 suspension has a rear stabilizer bar welded inside the rear beam axle. FE1 and FE0 do not. There's different struts too, but I can't remember the exact details. Search in Suspension forum for FE3 and you should find the thread... because we were discussing how FE3 wasn't an option on the third gen J-body.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 5:46 PM

I don't think I saw it up until earlier this year and I've been here almost four years. I fell in love with it immediately. It's such a beautiful car. Someday I will have one like it.

No offense to all the Sunfire owners out there, but I have always thought that the '00-'02 Sunfire GT front bumpers are the nicest looking of all the front bumpers. I have had a ton of people think the front bumper is aftermarket because it looks so aggressive with the lights and all. The mesh I put in the openings doesn't hurt either .

Wild Weasel wrote:Seriously?? Ramairsedan's been around here near as long as I have. He's kept a somewhat low profile but is a respected veteran of the scene here and a Precizion member to boot.

I <3 Ram Air Sedan ! That is all.

Laffs99GT wrote:My statement of "DO THAT" still stands J to Envy

Someday my friend, someday...

Viral (Kris) wrote:One other member that comes to mind who had a Sedan GT is Nickesix, his car was amazing.

Yes, his car is amazing. The only thing is that as much as I appreciate the more "done up" cars like that, my heart will always belong to the more "stock" looking cars. There's a certain feeling that comes with having a car that 95% of people don't realize is modded. Call me crazy but I like having a car that flies under the radar so to speak.

Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:let me help out another Sunfire person.
If you want a Sunfire Sedan with the Ecotec in it, you can find them. Their build date will be from Oct-Nov 2001 to around July/2002. The optional engine was worth about $400 (L61/LD9). Usually dealers ordered them with the 15in tires on it instead of 14s.
2.4L engine were stopped being produced in Sept-Oct 2001... I tell you because I searched hard for one in March of 2002.

And if you want to get specific on this...

- GT front bumper / crush guard / front wheel well liners--- yes
- working factory fog lights / working factory fog light switch--- yes
- front license plate filler---yes
- GT-specific wheels---yes
- dual exhaust--- yes
- leather wrapped steering wheel, shift knob and e-brake handle---yes
- front seats that flip forward / driver's seat with lumbar adjuster / passenger seat with back pocket--- not needed as you will have a 4 door, instead try the GT specific cloth trim.
- power sunroof / power sunroof switch ---No, 4-doors never came with a sunroof from the factory
- cruise control / intermittent windshield wipers--- No, CC was optional, variable delay was optional too, one speed intermitent wipers was standard.
- power mirrors / power locks / power windows / alarm---No all that was optional too.

add
-CD player--- GT was standard
-Monsoon was optional only on coupes too
-Conveniance package was optional on GT only-- It included trunk net, reading lamps, assit handle, and overhead storage console. But when you had the sunroof...the storage console and assist handle would be deleted.... In my case, I intalled the assist handle even with the sunroof. The storage console would not fit because the S/R switch is there.

If you need any more info let me know.

Awesome! Thanks for all the additional information. I have my list going of things that will need to be done to make a Sedan a true GT. I will definitely get in touch with you if I have any more questions.

John Lenko wrote:FE2 suspension has a rear stabilizer bar welded inside the rear beam axle. FE1 and FE0 do not. There's different struts too, but I can't remember the exact details. Search in Suspension forum for FE3 and you should find the thread... because we were discussing how FE3 wasn't an option on the third gen J-body.

Good to know . So, in other words I guess with the suspension I would have to "cheat" a little. I doubt anyone is going to know whether or not I have the rear stabilizer bar . The struts wouldn't matter since the car would be lowered on aftermarket ones. I will definitely check that thread out.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

As far as this project goes, it is more than likely a ways off seeing as I don't want to get rid of my current GT. I've had it since it was brand new and there's no way I could stand the thought of someone else driving and probably abusing it. I will keep the GT and keep searching for the "right" car to start this project with. If nothing else, there's always my mom's '98 Sunfire SE Sedan that I could hold onto since we've it since it was new as well .

Thursday, August 17, 2006 1:31 PM

This is sort of a sedan GT as well...minus the base model steelies and the rice wipers

Thursday, August 17, 2006 1:40 PM
^ I love the changes he made to his car, with a good drop and the right rims it would amazing.

Friday, August 18, 2006 12:42 PM
deflux wrote:This is sort of a sedan GT as well...minus the base model steelies and the rice wipers

Except for the wipers, I love it! Every time I see a picture like that it makes me want a Sedan more and more . Who's car is that? I'd like to see more pictures of it if possible.

Laffs99GT wrote:^ I love the changes he made to his car, with a good drop and the right rims it would amazing.

I agree it does need to be dropped. As far as wheels, I think all it needs is some GT wheels .

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search