Altering Bumpers - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Altering Bumpers
Thursday, August 09, 2007 10:10 AM
First off, I want to let you guys/gals know that I don't spend much time in the exterior forum as I am more of a performance guy. However, I want to know how illegal is it to alter the bumpers on our cars. I love the overall look of the stock 95-99 Z, but I can't stand how far the front and ESPECIALLY the rear bumper covers stick out. I'm not looking to completely remove the bumpers, but maybe shorten them if thats reasonable. I am horrible at image alteration, but this was a quick msPaint chop to give you an idea of what I'm talking about...

Stock (minus the drop I gave it)

Kind of what I'm looking for...

Thanks to all who can help.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.

Re: Altering Bumpers
Thursday, August 09, 2007 10:19 AM
its not illegal. otherwise no one could put body kits on their cars. all you reall got to do is cut and fiberglass it. unless its the plastic crap (im not sure) then it would be a bit more work.

Thursday, August 09, 2007 10:36 AM
I'm not talking about the the bumper cover. I know that can be altered. I'm talking about the "bumper" itself, because it is why the bumper cover sticks out so far. And there isn't a single aftermarket body kit that will alleviate this problem because the bumper gets in the way. I assume it might be illegal because it changes the amount of stress the bumper can handle from the impact that another car would make when they rear-end you or if you rear-end someone else.

-

Thursday, August 09, 2007 11:10 AM
removing the crush guard or actual metal bumper will NOT shorten any part of how far the bumper projects out.
you would have to cut the bumper to shorten for what youre looking for
or so it seems

Thursday, August 09, 2007 11:19 AM
yes you are talking about bumper covers. like mentioned the crush gaurd would be the thing stopping you from getting in the way. you will have to trim the crush gaurd back and then cut a section out of the middle of the bumper and put it back together. depending on the material it is, it could be hard. the only easy way to do it is with fiberglass bumpers. urethane or abs plastic would be a bitch to do and imo not worth the time and effort.

Thursday, August 09, 2007 11:20 AM
Well Jesse, I think you are on the right track as to what I'm asking. I want to shorten the crush guard/metal bumper assembly so that I can have room to install a custom shorter bumper cover (I know the stock bumper cover would still protrude the same distance).

Edit: Mike that is exactly what I'm asking

So essentially all I need to know is whether or not it is illegal to shorten the crush guard/ metal bumper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, August 09, 2007 11:21 AM

-

Thursday, August 09, 2007 1:08 PM
as far as legality is concerned, that varies from state to state. youd be better off posting this in your regional forum or talking to local cops.

Thursday, August 09, 2007 1:21 PM
ive had my crush gaurds off my black cav for probably close to 4 years now and ive passed pa and nj inspections. just be aware that removing the crush guard is going to make your car a higher risk in an accident. the crush guard is used to absorb impacts like little fender benders and what not. with the crush guard not there, the bumper support behind the crush guard is going to take the full force of this. meaning a simple 10 mph bump could set your air bags off

Thursday, August 09, 2007 7:15 PM
stripped: im pretty sure he was talking about removing the metal bumper....not just the crush guard.

Thursday, August 09, 2007 8:47 PM
(tabs) wrote:stripped: im pretty sure he was talking about removing the metal bumper....not just the crush guard.

Intentions were not to completely do without it, but just shorten it enough so I could get the look I like.

Anyways...
I guess I will look into IL automotive safety laws. Thanks for all the input.

-

Thursday, August 09, 2007 10:16 PM
Brian Whalen wrote:
(tabs) wrote:stripped: im pretty sure he was talking about removing the metal bumper....not just the crush guard.

Intentions were not to completely do without it, but just shorten it enough so I could get the look I like.

Anyways...
I guess I will look into IL automotive safety laws. Thanks for all the input.

last time i checked its not illegal in any state to remove the crush gaurd. thats the only thing affecting how far the bumper is protruding. if you took it all if it would be very close to flush with the hood. and if it was that much of a difference i think it would look retarded

Friday, August 10, 2007 3:44 AM

i understand but i dont think the actual bumper support will be a problem. the crush guard helps absorb the impact of an accident and it also give something for the bumper to sit on. i think if he removed the crush guard completely and shortened the bumpers as he mention i think he could get the look he is looking for without having to remove the bumper support.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search