.8% tint, So I cant see up out my windows?!?! - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
.8% tint, So I cant see up out my windows?!?!
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 2:08 PM
So What I have on my door windows is 35%.... nowhere near as dark as I wanted. The tint shop I went to agreed to put down another layer of 20% over the 35% and said it would read like .8% ... I have a few questions,

This is a 3g coupe btw
1. Is it uber hard to see out of?
2. Will It look really bad If I have 20% on my rear quarter window and .8 on my door window?

Clicky for teh Money!!
http://rewardhits.com/index.php?hit=8606

Re: .8% tint, So I cant see up out my windows?!?!
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 2:19 PM
.8% is just plain STUPID.

My friend had 3% on his wondows and it was pretty bad.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 2:24 PM
haha, good luck.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 2:26 PM
i got pulled over for 35% on the front and had to remove it btw. and my cousin had 5% on his truck and he had to remove his to, and u couldnt even see out of them at night.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 2:28 PM
if u have 20% on your rear, why would u want it darker on the front, that would look ugly imo. and if there gonna layer it over the 35%, why not just peel off the 35% and put on the 20%, it will be darker, and match all the way around. and atleast u will be able to see.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 2:28 PM
I'm no math prodigy, but 0.8% doesn't figure, more like 7% after all is said and done.

-- John

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 2:34 PM
jacob has 20% over 20% and you can see out of it in the daylight but not after dark. His windshield is also tinted like almost 1/2 the way down with 20%. you can't even see in it in daylight.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 2:36 PM
i have 5% on my quaters and rear window, and 15% on the sides. its a serious pain in the ass to back up at night if there is no street lights, other than that i love it

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 2:45 PM
It's on his truck btw.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 3:25 PM
I have a 5% on my rear windows, and its not too bad to see out of during the day, but at night, its almost impossible unless you have your reverse lights on or theres someone behind you.
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 5:03 PM
by my calculations, its 12% .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 6:38 PM
yeah guys, the guy said that it would read .8 %, I assume he meant on a police tint meter..

If ur gonna break the law might as well do it big haha

Clicky for teh Money!!
http://rewardhits.com/index.php?hit=8606
Tuesday, December 13, 2005 7:00 PM
When the police check it, they read how much light is transmitted through. When I had 35% on my old cav, I got pulled over and his meter read 64 point something...percent of the light coming through. That equals a ticket in the great state of Virginia.

So if it was truely 8%, then the meter would read 92%...that would be BAD. LOL

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 9:47 PM
I miss my %5 on my corsica... all around... i might do it with my cavy. I had no problems, I guess you get used to it.. that and my reverse lights were bright as sh!t.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 10:38 PM
2% on my vert. You can see absolutely nothing day or night.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 4:17 AM
that 2% looks nice.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 4:43 AM
i have 20% on the sides right now & it is hard to see out of at night with no lights around

04 Cav 2.2 Ecotec
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 8:05 AM
i have 12% all the way around. i drive with my windows down most of the time to avoid cops getting any ideas(and i like having my windows down). at night, if there are no street lights around, not a chance of seeing. i have to make sure nothing is behind me before i back out of anywhere. its a hassle but its well worth it for me, esp. with the miami sun beating down all day

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 9:02 AM
i have 5% all around and during the day its fine but like said above, at night its impossible, if there isnt much light around i have so roll my windows down and stick my head out, to try and see whats going on.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 9:07 AM
[.20 x .35] = .07 = 7%

I think he meant to say 8% instead of .8%, but I've never failed to be amazed at the mathematical ineptitude of some people...

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 11:45 AM
ummmm why would you ever need anything darker than 35%? i had that originally and it was perfect. i hate those super low tint strips. looks aweful. at some point taste has to be considered. heres a helper- if you want it even darker on the inside get a black roof liner. that makes it muuuuuuuch darker.
here in ohio limit is 50% on all but front. so many people have darker rear and rear side windows since you cant meter those and it looks like hell. my stang has some intelligent tint that darkens in light but you cant tell so it makes me wonder. i hve a black roof and some people think i put the crappy 15% dark tint on it..... once i get tint when i get around to it- it ll look like its 65% dark

dreams are useless if you do not possess the abilties required to make them your reality.
BetterFasterMore.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 1:17 PM
Pork Chop Sandwiches!!! wrote:[.20 x .35] = .07 = 7%

I think he meant to say 8% instead of .8%, but I've never failed to be amazed at the mathematical ineptitude of some people...

i would like to challenge your mathematical view, seeing as from what i've been told, two 5% sheets stacked are 2.5%. if you do your math, that would be 0.25%, which is basically just painted black.

on the other hand, if you do the inverse inverses addition of the numbers, as in [1/20 + 1/35]^-1, you'd get 12.7%, which i think is a little more realistic than your 8%, seeing as two sheets of 20% (which would be darker than your example) should be half the original amount, 10%.

mathematical ineptitude?

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Wednesday, December 14, 2005 1:35 PM
Enlarged cranium?

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 2:01 PM
Viper98912 wrote:
Pork Chop Sandwiches!!! wrote:[.20 x .35] = .07 = 7%

i would like to challenge your mathematical view, seeing as from what i've been told, two 5% sheets stacked are 2.5%. if you do your math, that would be 0.25%, which is basically just painted black.

on the other hand, if you do the inverse inverses addition of the numbers, as in [1/20 + 1/35]^-1, you'd get 12.7%, which i think is a little more realistic than your 8%, seeing as two sheets of 20% (which would be darker than your example) should be half the original amount, 10%.

mathematical ineptitude?

Correct, mathematical ineptitude. 35% Tint (by definition) lets in 35% of the light. Of this 35% of the light that is let in, only 20% of this light is let through the second layer. 20% of 35% is 7% of the original light let through.

Two sheets of 20% would not be 10% of the original light let through. If 20% of the original light comes through the first layer, then only half (50 more needs to be filtered. If the 20% of the light that comes through the first layer is filtered again by 20%, then only 4% of the original light comes through.

Instead of just telling you why I'm right however, let me explain where you went wrong. Your mathematical formulation measures the combined filtering of individual pieces of tint. It does not take into account the reduced light being filtered by the second layer of tint.

[1/20 + 1/35]^-1 is equivalent to the amount of 100% light filtered by 20% tint plus the amount of 100% light filtered by 35% tint. However, this is not consistent with the real life application before us. What we have is 20% tint filtering 100% light and then 35% tint filtering only 20% light. What your equation should look like is [(1/20 x 1/35)^-1] / 100 (to get it into a . Your equation does not take into account the reduced light already filtering into the second layer of tint, which explains why your number was high...I still prefer [20% x 35%] which avoids all the redundant calculations...

As I said, mathematical ineptitude.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005 2:40 PM
I have 5% on all my windows except teh windsheild which is 50%
its hard to see out of with no street lights around, but during the day its fine. And I've never had a problem with cops, I roll it down right in front of them when I get pulled over and not one has ever said anything *knock on wood*

"Louis, you better watch who you call a child. Because if I'm a child,
that makes you a pedafile, and I'm not gonna stand here and argue
with a pervert" -- Peter Griffin
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search