96 to 97 ECU swap on a grand am - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
96 to 97 ECU swap on a grand am
Thursday, March 12, 2009 8:49 AM
Hey guys I'm looking to help my friend do the computer swap on his 2.4 96 grand am to tune with HPTuners. He lives in NY state so it has to stay OBD II compliant. I decided the 97 ECU and harness swap will be the best route. What I'm not sure of is if the computer and harness has to come out of a 97 grand am or if it can come out of a 97 cav/sunfire. Just trying to get my facts straight and do more research before I hit the yard for parts. Thanks in advance for the help.

Re: 96 to 97 ECU swap on a grand am
Thursday, March 12, 2009 9:43 AM
Ok before I get flamed... PCM not ECU. Sorry I was in a hurry to get to lunch at work! lol

Saturday, March 21, 2009 6:58 PM
i would do some searching in the performance section. I know things have been posted before and have done it.

I had a 96 z24, as far as Computer tuning, you can kiss your A$$. You have to swap to a 97 to get Hp tuners. I never messed with the swap, I ran every bolt on and s/c'd it and it didnt blow up .

good luck non the less.

Monday, March 23, 2009 9:11 AM
the swap isnt that bad.. i did it on mine

8 psi with m62 and IAT under 100
Tuesday, March 24, 2009 6:18 PM
no I realize what is involved in the swap. I guess I should have been more specific.... I was wondering more about the inspection side of things. I don't want to swap in a 97 cavalier ECU if it's not going to pass NYS inspection. I researched the 96 to 97 swap and that's no problem. I just wanted to know if anyone has done this swap in a state that connects the OBD port while inspecting. I guess I should ask the shop that does the inspections. Thanks for the help though guys.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search