Cobalt is done... Cruze on the horizon - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cobalt is done... Cruze on the horizon
Friday, June 25, 2010 9:08 AM
LORDSTOWN, Ohio -- Dave Green entered General Motors Co.'s Lordstown West plant early Tuesday morning and found it eerie. "All the normal work stations were empty," the president of Local 1714 of the United Auto Workers said, hours after the plant had assembled the underbody for the last model of the Chevrolet Cobalt.

For years, those workers held the line in the fabricating plant by producing parts for the small vehicle, the last of which rolled off the assembly line at 3:35 p.m. Wednesday.
"Everyone is working at different stations now, preparing for the Cruze," Green said. Lordstown West has been converted from a traditional fabricating operation into a sleek, high-tech body shop.
GM has pumped about $350 million into the Lordstown West plant and the assembly area to prepare the complex for production of the Chevrolet Cruze, the small, fuel-efficient vehicle GM is betting will outsell and outperform all others in its market segment.

But on Wednesday, it was the Cobalt's turn to shine as workers, labor officials and managers bid farewell to a car they say did its job and proved the salvation of a plant that many feared would be the first GM placed on the chopping block.
"We're sorry to see the Cobalt leave, but you know what's right behind it -- the Cruze," said Jim Graham, president of Local 1112 minutes after the last Cobalt sped off the line. "It served its purpose -- it was a great car, great sales numbers."

Graham said the Cobalt served as a bridge vehicle for the new Cruze and laid the groundwork for Lordstown to become the centerpiece plant for General Motors North American operations.
The Lordstown Complex will shut down two weeks and resume production July 12. When workers return, they'll be manufacturing the Cruze in limited quantities. "We'll produce about 300 units in July," he reported. By August, the plant should turn out 3,000 cars, and in September, "hold onto your hats," he said.

Graham was mum about the potential of Lordstown to secure another vehicle to build alongside the Cruze when it's launched. "Right now, we are focused on the Cruze and we want a flawless launch. It's been getting rave reviews – even in Europe, the UAW leader said. “I'm extremely proud of our plant."
The last Cobalt -- a white, four-door sedan -- moved down the final stretch of the line with about 25 assembly workers taking the ride alongside the car.
Plant worker Charmaine Phillips then gunned up the vehicle and drove it off the line to a final inspection area.

From Lordstown, the car is to be shipped to a dealership in West Franklin, N.H.
Lordstown won production of the Cobalt in 2002 after the plant secured competitive labor agreements with its two unions, locals 1112 and 1714 of the Auto Workers.
Those agreements were instrumental in convincing GM to pump in about $1 billion so the massive plant could retool its production lines as it phased out the Chevrolet Cavalier and Pontiac Sunfire. That investment included a $250 million paint shop, one of the most sophisticated of its kind in North America.

"Clearly without the Cobalt, we'd never have the Cruze," said Local 1714's Green, whose union represents about 1,000 workers in the Lordstown West plant. "The work force agreed to concessions in 2001 and the shelf agreement played a big part in landing the Cobalt," he noted.
Without those agreements and concessions, the plant was in danger of shutting down after production of the Cavalier and Sunfire ceased, said Local 1112's Graham.
"If we didn't win the Cobalt in 2002, we wouldn't be talking about the Cruze," he said. "This place would be dark."

A total of 1.1 million Cobalts have rolled out of Lordstown's production line since 2004. The final Cobalt Tuesday was number 1.1 million.
"We've seen reports that are calling the Cobalt a failure," Local 1714's Green said. "We don't think that at all."
The Cobalt may not have been the best car on the market, Green allowed, but it served its purpose by introducing a dependable vehicle at an affordable price. "It's been a successful car and there are a lot of happy customers," he said. "I own one."

The plant will begin its traditional two-week shutdown starting next week for the Fourth of July holiday, but preparation for the launch of the Chevrolet Cruze will continue.
The Cruze, considered a flagship model for GM's Chevrolet brand, is to arrive in dealerships by September and carry a base sticker price of $16,900.
"We have had more training on this car than any other car in our history," Graham said. "This is the main car for General Motors going into the future. We are the cornerstone of General Motors in this country."

http://business-journal.com/clients/business-journal/farewell-cobalt-hello-cruze-p16800.htm?twindow=Default&smenu=1&mad=No

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Re: Cobalt is done... Cruze on the horizon
Friday, June 25, 2010 5:19 PM
Now lets hope GM doesnt screw this up as badly as we all expect.

I <3 JGM
I think bigfoot is blurry,
that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra
scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster, roaming the countryside.
"Run! He's fuzzy!" "Get outta here!"

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005

Friday, June 25, 2010 11:33 AM
Quote:

That investment included a $250 million paint shop, one of the most sophisticated of its kind in North America.

Not sure GM would want to brag about that since Cobalts are notorious for having horrid paint jobs.

Quote:

The Cruze, considered a flagship model for GM's Chevrolet brand, is to arrive in dealerships by September and carry a base sticker price of $16,900.

Base price. wow how times change, that's what i paid for my fully loaded Z24 in 1998. Now thats the price of a base stripped model.

"Formerly known as Jammit - JBO member since 1998" JBOM | CSS.net

Friday, June 25, 2010 11:39 AM
Jookycola wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Base price. wow how times change, that's what i paid for my fully loaded Z24 in 1998. Now thats the price of a base stripped model.

Inflation?

Disclaimer: I will probally offend you with what is written in this post.

Friday, June 25, 2010 6:54 PM
In B4 the first recall.

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Friday, June 25, 2010 12:13 PM
am I the only one that thinks the cruze is disgusting?

Friday, June 25, 2010 12:20 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) v2.0 wrote:am I the only one that thinks the cruze is disgusting?

I like it. Infinitely better than the Cobalt IMO
Friday, June 25, 2010 1:00 PM
Jookycola wrote:
Quote:

That investment included a $250 million paint shop, one of the most sophisticated of its kind in North America.

Not sure GM would want to brag about that since Cobalts are notorious for having horrid paint jobs.

Quote:

I think you're forgetting that
Base 1998 /= Base 2011... many things that were optional are now standard equipment.

I have no signiture
Friday, June 25, 2010 3:11 PM
Yeah but some people will want a stripped down base model to do dumb and fun things with. kind of how cars used to be order body in white, nothing really on it.

Personally I have not been impressed with lordstowns quality since I got my Z. I sent in the card that came in the owners manual telling them they had their heads up their asses. I was more upset with Mr Goodwrench for messing my car up, but they sent me greetings from lordstown, so i sent them back from asbury park...

Friday, June 25, 2010 3:21 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) v2.0 wrote:am I the only one that thinks the cruze is disgusting?

nope. i'd agree. the interior has some aspects i kind of like but the exterior is gross imo.

but i'm not really that big a fan of anything anybody's making anymore so i guess i'm not really a fair judge. not even just gm either. just every manufacturer in general. i'm kind of disgusted with newer cars. price's on new vehicle's are insane. and honestly though most manufacturer's have come a long way i really don't believe there's any justification for the kinds of prices new vehicles are going for. theyv'e completely shut everybody but the upper middle class and up in the economy out of owning a new vehicle.

ever. unless of course you want to spend a decade or more in debt paying it off.

Friday, June 25, 2010 5:24 PM
Whalesac wrote:
Jookycola wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

I think you're forgetting that
Base 1998 /= Base 2011... many things that were optional are now standard equipment.

yeah 98 there was less options , as most were included , and now base means stripped again

biggest thing i hate is the name

Friday, June 25, 2010 6:56 PM
The cruze RS is very nice looking, im praying for a 2 door ss version with a pumped up LNF, might have to trade the cobalt in for that

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Friday, June 25, 2010 7:09 PM

No sir. To me it looks like GM took a new 4 door Civic and slapped their usual horizontal bar fascia on it. A prime example of style taking a backseat in order to please the widest audience, i.e. people who think an auto is merely a means of transportation. And as long as the consumer doesn't hate it, they find no reason to improve it.
/rant

Friday, June 25, 2010 8:04 PM
Check the pricing on the Cruze here.
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=6&i=207848&t=207848&p=4

The only things lacking with this car are competitive engines (powerwise), and more bodystyles. Lets give it time and we'll see.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Friday, June 25, 2010 11:18 PM
I'd rather a GenTen Corolla S or a 1st gen Mazda3 over the Cruze. Beats the @!#$ out of other current domestic offerings in the segment though. Given the choice I'd take a Cruze over a Focus and definitely over a Caliber. Even the Dodge dealer told us not to buy a Caliber.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Saturday, June 26, 2010 11:52 AM
But next year, the Euro ford focus and festiva will be here. and chevy will still suck.

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Saturday, June 26, 2010 2:37 PM
Quote:

The Cruze, considered a flagship model for GM's Chevrolet brand
*FACEPALM*

Monday, June 28, 2010 7:54 AM
Rodimus Prime wrote:The cruze RS is very nice looking, im praying for a 2 door ss version with a pumped up LNF, might have to trade the cobalt in for that

You'd buy Korean? You do realize this car was mostly engineered by Daewoo right?

2007 Corvette Z51 | Suzuki Swift GTi SCCA racer | 2008 Edge
Monday, June 28, 2010 10:35 AM
no SS model. GM slaps the SS badge on so many things these days its stupid

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Monday, June 28, 2010 11:35 AM
Evol...??? wrote:
Rodimus Prime wrote:The cruze RS is very nice looking, im praying for a 2 door ss version with a pumped up LNF, might have to trade the cobalt in for that

You'd buy Korean? You do realize this car was mostly engineered by Daewoo right?

It would be made in China, as long as it has a bowtie on the front of it, he'll buy it and call it the best thing ever.. *facepalm*

Quote:

Watching you parade around my bedroom in a thong was a little like watching sea lions mate.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search