supercharger oil change? - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
supercharger oil change?
Saturday, May 05, 2007 6:52 AM
Anyone know the steps to doing this?

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**

Re: supercharger oil change?
Saturday, May 05, 2007 7:22 AM
Doesn't it run off of your motor oil?

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447 12.767@109.93
Saturday, May 05, 2007 8:26 AM
nope, there is a special oil to buy for it.

**there is only one true love in my life... and my girlfriend has learned to live with it**
Saturday, May 05, 2007 9:21 AM
For the GTP? Wouldn't your friendly neighbourhood GMPD have it?

Most aftermarket systems use an oil tap (except Jackson Racing for some reason), but I seem to remember my mom's GP GTP and her G6 GTP Supercharged having their own oil supplies and coolers... I could be wrong though.

Saturday, May 05, 2007 9:23 AM
I have the oil, I need to know how to change it.

Saturday, May 05, 2007 10:28 AM
there is a allen bolt on the charger that you ned to remove to drain teh oil.

Ryan1

Saturday, May 05, 2007 10:33 AM
Gutty,

I just found a link that will help u!

GTP Supercharger Oil Change Instructions...

Ryan1

Saturday, May 05, 2007 1:53 PM
yeah its best to suck out whats in it , unless your coupler is bad

Saturday, May 05, 2007 2:33 PM
i hear the oil stinks too

Saturday, May 05, 2007 3:52 PM
Just use a hose/syringe and suck out the old stuff... And don't smell it.

Saturday, May 05, 2007 6:09 PM
yeah oil smell is knock you on your ass bad

Sunday, May 06, 2007 6:53 AM
If it stinks like that it almost sounds like diff fluid.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447 12.767@109.93
Sunday, May 06, 2007 11:45 AM
It's a full synthetic (probably the slickest @!#$ I've ever felt), and people have tried to match it forever... Can't find it.

Sunday, May 06, 2007 8:05 PM
1) stuff smells like ass. definetly something you want to do in a well ventilated area

2) S/C runs off of it's own oil supply in the snout. no cooler or anything, just a self contained oil area that is in direct contact with the drive gears

3) unscrew the black allen head bolt on the base of the snout of the blower. then get either a syringe and rubber tube, or a pump from a hand soap bottle (well cleaned out, of course). and just pump it out. then just put the new in. should take almost two bottles.

Andy

it's not how fast you go, it's how you get there that counts.
ZZP XP cam, 1.6 rockers, 105# springs, speedbuilt FWI, 3.3" modular pulley, TOG headers,
3" exhaust, flomatched injectors
'97 GTP 14.06@100.6mph pre cam w/ 3.5" pulley, I/E
Monday, May 07, 2007 2:51 PM
Went to change it yesterday, notice there is a seal leak near the pully, so I didn't bother changing it yet. Not much point in changing it until I get the leak fixed.

Can/should I upgrade anything while I am fixing the leak?

Monday, May 07, 2007 3:01 PM
Gutty96 wrote:Went to change it yesterday, notice there is a seal leak near the pully, so I didn't bother changing it yet. Not much point in changing it until I get the leak fixed.

Can/should I upgrade anything while I am fixing the leak?

Do a modular pulley on the snout since you have to pull it off anyways. If you pull the whole snout off to change the seal (you don't have to) check the couple.

Check www.clubgp.com for more info

Monday, May 07, 2007 3:04 PM
I think the coupler is fine, there is no rattle, no noise at all other then the whine. However, there is 173,000kms on it, maybe I should change the coupler anyhow.

Monday, May 07, 2007 5:25 PM
Hell...

With that many miles, I'd just pick up a lower mileage used unit, either a Series III (what you have now) or go to a Series V blower.

Monday, May 07, 2007 9:42 PM
series V blower wont bolt right on. you need adapters and mods. they're pretty pricey as well.

replace the coupler. better safe than sorry. with that many miles the old one probably doesnt have much life left

dont bother looking into a new blower unless you're getting sound from the needle or nose bearings.

pulley swaps. 1) pulling the snout doesnt help any. it actually makes it harder other than having more space in front of it. 2) only replace it with a modular system if you're planning on changing pulleys. if you're content with a single pulley drop (which most arent) then dont get it. it's an expensive mod for someone who just wants a 3.4 or 3.5" pulley.

the snout seal can be done in the car. drain the fluid, pull the alternator (and both belts... duh ) alternator has i think 4 or 5 bolts holding it in, two are kinda hidden behind it. after you get the alternator pulled, place some towels under the blower snout. there's still a little oil in there, and it smells, so you dont want it burnin off your engine. pop all the bolts loose and back em out. the snout probably wont just pop right off. i've had to take a dead blow to the two i've taken apart. lightly tap it, it should break lose. pull it out, make sure everything looks ok, replace the coupler, put some liquid gasket aroundt he outside, replace, bolt back up, let dry, put oil in, alternator back on, belts and such, and tada! three birds with one stone!

Andy

ZZP XP cam, 1.6 rockers, 105# springs, speedbuilt FWI, 3.3" modular pulley, TOG headers,
Tuesday, May 08, 2007 4:11 AM
WORK wrote:1) stuff smells like ass. definetly something you want to do in a well ventilated area

One car will easily stink up 8000 sq ft of sapce. Even if the ventilation is good.

I kept some in a bottle and get people to sniff it. As they do, I squeeze the bottle Heheh.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007 8:50 AM
Craig Lewis wrote:
WORK wrote:1) stuff smells like ass. definetly something you want to do in a well ventilated area

One car will easily stink up 8000 sq ft of sapce. Even if the ventilation is good.

I kept some in a bottle and get people to sniff it. As they do, I squeeze the bottle Heheh.

lol... thats just mean. I can still remember almost getting sick when I changed mine for the first time.

Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore
raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132

Tuesday, May 08, 2007 1:28 PM
raven wrote:
Craig Lewis wrote:

lol... thats just mean. I can still remember almost getting sick when I changed mine for the first time.

i did it inside my garage. whoops! thank god for large doors

Andy

Saturday, May 12, 2007 8:32 AM
Had it checked out, there was no leak. So I changed it. I was only able to get enough out that I put 1.25 bottles back in. Oh well, that is still better then nothing.

Monday, May 14, 2007 9:07 PM
WORK wrote:
raven wrote:
Craig Lewis wrote:

i did it inside my garage. whoops! thank god for large doors

So true when I changed my superchareger oil in my cobra its smelled so bad I had to walk away for a bit.

Here is where I got my supercharger oil

http://www.pulleyboys.com/

"Remember do what you like because you have to drive it."--Me
Tuesday, May 15, 2007 5:36 PM
^^^ they make good modular pulley systems, as well. as does ZZP

Andy

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search