g/f wants to buy 2000 Mercury Cougar - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
g/f wants to buy 2000 Mercury Cougar
Wednesday, April 04, 2007 5:04 PM
So, my girlfriend wants to buy a 2000 Mercury Cougar with 62,000 miles and their askng price is $6995. I for one think its a bit high, and not to mention the car was very shaky, and I was pulling insulation of some sort right out of the bottom of the car. (no idea). Any opinions on these cars?

Re: g/f wants to buy 2000 Mercury Cougar
Wednesday, April 04, 2007 5:10 PM
my aunt hated hers. didn't matter how many times she balanced the tires and checked the alignment, the car always shook and wandered the freeway. on top of that, i did an oil change for her, 100% POSITIVE that i used the correct filter, three months later she calls me to tell me that the engine blew because the filter came off and dumped all her oil. i've done 100's of oil changes, i know i did it right.

on top of all that, the car wasn't that great. had about as many squeaks as my cavalier, interior was pretty poor, and it was really underpowered (she had the v6 automatic). i'd say no deal...

GO PATS!!!
Wednesday, April 04, 2007 5:16 PM
Don't they have alot of transmission problems?

Redneck: For you saying that your cavalier was better ... that much be a pretty bad review, lol

dan

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 6:30 PM
anyone else?
Wednesday, April 04, 2007 6:35 PM
dubduce18s wrote:Don't they have alot of transmission problems?

yes

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 6:38 PM
My GF has had hers for a few years an hasnt really had any trouble. Shes at about 100k now. I think they are good cars as long as you dont beat on em. They cant handle that crap. But im sure my GFs has never seen over 3300RPMs lol.

OHHH, the only thing that has gone was the alternator.....WOW what a bitch!!! I replaced the turbo in my Sentra SE-R faster than I did her alternator. Took over 7 hours start to finish. Ive never had one take me more than an hour an a half or so. Other than that hers has been very decent to her.

"Custom cars, custom problems."-me

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 6:47 PM
My buddy had one and it was the biggest piece of @!#$ I ever saw. It was in the shop more than on the road.

-1995 Cavalier for dirt racing-
-1995 Sunfire for parts-
-1998 Dodge Durango for getting to the track-
-1997 Dodge Avenger for playing-
Wednesday, April 04, 2007 7:18 PM
my stepdad was going to but one similar to what you said and talked the guy down to $4000. but he researced the car and decided that it sucked.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007 7:28 PM
Two thumbs down.
Electrical problems on all of em.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447 12.767@109.93
Wednesday, April 04, 2007 8:03 PM
She really likes this car but from the way it felt today it doesn't seem to be a great car/ nor did it run great. Any suggestions besides cavaliers/sunfires for her? she has around $6000-$7000 to spend and wants something with around 60,000 or less miles.
Wednesday, April 04, 2007 8:10 PM
grand prix but im biased

Thursday, April 05, 2007 5:25 PM
corolla, accord, celica...there's lots of stuff for around 6k with less than 60,000 miles.

GO PATS!!!
Thursday, April 05, 2007 7:43 PM
The Redneck wrote:corolla, accord, celica...there's lots of stuff for around 6k with less than 60,000 miles.

agreed...avoid that cougar like the PLAGUE....way worse then a J...and we're not reknowned for reliability lol

Thursday, April 05, 2007 11:08 PM
What about a tibby? I mean, they even look the same.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe Im just pissed, pissed that my freinds are spineless, What else would you
call abandoment some night, when you're in a fight, and they could make things right?
Spineless. I miss some of my old friends, the ones who you could count on,
bet a huge amount on, the fact that they'd always have your back... Its like a kick in
the sack, just knowing, you've got nothing to fall back on. @!#$ this, Im done.
Friday, April 06, 2007 9:20 PM
Emok(Tony Wise) wrote:
dubduce18s wrote:Don't they have alot of transmission problems?

yes

the automatics are more problematic than the manuals
Friday, April 06, 2007 9:23 PM
also, the v6s tend to spin rod bearings due to the lack of oil drains in the heads leaving no oil in the pan
Friday, April 06, 2007 11:36 PM
Know 2 people who have owned/ own these cars

One is a Zetec 4cyl 5 speed..... lots and lots of miles. Poorly maintained and beat on.. just keeps running.

Another friend has a V6 auto, full load. Very nice inside with the leather. Low miles, no problems at all.

I think alot of people here just hate on these cars, and comparing my old cavy to to either of these ..well the J-body is not even close in terms of quality.

The cougars are sold in europe as well, and are a world car. The duratec V6 is really well proven, and the suspension on these cars is really impressive too.

I think once you hop into one of these and drive it you will change your mind. And if you dont have the mentality of "my J could beat it in a race noooo problems" then you will see these are pretty nice cars.

Either way for $6k, you wanna make sure your getting something well cared for. i try not to buy used sports cars, since they are often beat on.

Saturday, April 07, 2007 12:23 AM
MarioXpress wrote:Know 2 people who have owned/ own these cars

One is a Zetec 4cyl 5 speed..... lots and lots of miles. Poorly maintained and beat on.. just keeps running.

Another friend has a V6 auto, full load. Very nice inside with the leather. Low miles, no problems at all.

I think alot of people here just hate on these cars, and comparing my old cavy to to either of these ..well the J-body is not even close in terms of quality.

The cougars are sold in europe as well, and are a world car. The duratec V6 is really well proven, and the suspension on these cars is really impressive too.

I think once you hop into one of these and drive it you will change your mind. And if you dont have the mentality of "my J could beat it in a race noooo problems" then you will see these are pretty nice cars.

Either way for $6k, you wanna make sure your getting something well cared for. i try not to buy used sports cars, since they are often beat on.

People hate on them because they are truley junk. I actually used to like them(there style is pretty nice for a low end car) but they are plain and simple peices of @!#$.
I dont own a J anymore, But
1. Everything being = the J would have a slight edge in a drag
2. The may look nicer inside but there its still a @!#$ty interior(quality)
3. They have many more problems than I have seen with J's/
4. They dont ride any better than a J.

And thats my biggest point, they arent better than a J body, and the J body isnt great itself...

You didnt leave many details so ill try my best..

a 2000 w/ 60k miles...Loaded, every single factory option avaliable that year, plus the V6 with Auto....is under 6000 Book price for a dealer buy...

I would def try to talk them down..or id walk away.

Monday, April 09, 2007 4:40 AM
same here, i use to love my brothers cougar and would drive it any change i got. then the problems came around i think like 74k. replaced tranny twice now and just had to replace the alt. which is such a pain in those cars and the sunroof motor died which he still hasnt replaced. the only thing i liked about the int was that it was leather and now i have that and more in my GP so im happy

Monday, April 09, 2007 5:42 PM
A co-worker finally dumped her 00 Cougar after spending roughly 2500 each year she owned it on repairs. Transmission, electrical, suspension, etc.

I would walk...not run from that car.

Monday, April 09, 2007 5:57 PM
starter and the teeth on flywheel = big problems on the 1999/2000 models with V6.

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog

Monday, April 09, 2007 6:40 PM
All of the v6 models had electrical problems.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447 12.767@109.93
Monday, April 09, 2007 7:45 PM
The starters are very expensive to replace due to labor wise, being over 3 hour job.

I've seen a lot of Cougars come into the shop and they are crap

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search