2006 Sport Compact Comparison Test - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2006 Sport Compact Comparison Test
Thursday, July 20, 2006 8:45 PM
http://www.autobytel.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_id_int/1971

Powertrain
Volkswagen GTI: First Place
Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged: Second Place
Honda Civic Si: Third Place
Scion tC Supercharged: Fourth Place

Street Driving
Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged: First Place
Volkswagen GTI: Second Place
Honda Civic Si: Third Place

Track Driving
Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged: First Place
Honda Civic Si: Second Place
Volkswagen GTI: Third Place

Comfort
Scion tC Supercharged: Third Place
Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged: Fourth Place

Quality
Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged: Fourth Place

Design
Honda Civic Si: First Place
Volkswagen GTI: Second Place
Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged: Fourth Place (over a wing?)

Final Rankings
Volkswagen GTI: First Place (Score = 8.0/10)
Honda Civic Si: Second Place (Score = 7.3/10)
Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged: Third Place (Score = 7.1/10)
Scion tC Supercharged: Fourth Place (Score = 6.4/10)

Re: 2006 Sport Compact Comparison Test
Thursday, July 20, 2006 9:22 PM
the cobalt took the civic in so many categories, how it the blue hell did the civic still edge out the cobalt in the final score

------------------------------------------------------------------
when you beat someone in a civic people wine and make excuses
when you beat someone in a cavalier they pull over and check under thier hoods
Thursday, July 20, 2006 9:23 PM
ok, reread, I correct myself

but it still should of beat the si IMO

double post ftw

Thursday, July 20, 2006 9:41 PM
the cobalt didnt have the LSD so it must have been hard to get the traction. with the LSD and gm stage 2 the cobalt would have been in first place.
Thursday, July 20, 2006 9:45 PM
Interesting read. I actually like the cobalts interior, so that makes it first place in all categories for me.

and yeah, they tested a non-G85 equipped cobalt. A lot of complaints were about the stock seats bolstering, and they also made mention of lighting up the inside tire on a turn. Both which could have been avoided with the LSD and recaros.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, July 20, 2006 9:46 PM

2000 2200 Cavalier: 9/14/2000--10/23/2006
2007 G85 SS S/C: 10/23/2006--Present
Vote for me at Motortopia.com! Thanks!
Thursday, July 20, 2006 10:14 PM
GTI FTW!!

Thursday, July 20, 2006 11:34 PM
that makes me smile

Friday, July 21, 2006 8:41 AM
Who would've thought, a GM car that runs well but is built like a piece of crap?

Friday, July 21, 2006 9:11 AM
Ian Brown Music wrote:Who would've thought, a GM car that runs well but is built like a piece of crap?

??
Just becuase it got last place doesn't mean its built like a piece of crap.

It is the cheapest out of the competetion, even if you added the LSD.

And they didn't say it was built like a piece of crap either. I mean if thats built like a POS then the Scion must really blow right?

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Friday, July 21, 2006 9:34 AM
Yes... we all know that there is better products then to buy a Cobalt. Tell us something new. lol

I thought this was a funny quote
autobytel wrote:Even so, the doors didn’t fit well, especially the front passenger’s, and the rear fascia was bowing out slightly on each side. But what really put a bad taste in our mouths was the clunking, rattling noise that the front suspension developed after turning 25 hot laps at the track

Proof that GM should have done a all-new design then to update a Cavalier and slap a new name and chassis name. One underneith and it is clear it is a evolution and not revolution. Kinda what you'll find from a 1994 to the 1995 Cavalier.
Hey GM, by switching the name you are not fooling any one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, July 21, 2006 9:40 AM

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Friday, July 21, 2006 9:51 AM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:Yes... we all know that there is better products then to buy a Cobalt. Tell us something new. lol

I thought this was a funny quote
autobytel wrote:Even so, the doors didn’t fit well, especially the front passenger’s, and the rear fascia was bowing out slightly on each side. But what really put a bad taste in our mouths was the clunking, rattling noise that the front suspension developed after turning 25 hot laps at the track

Proof that GM should have done a all-new design then to update a Cavalier and slap a new name and chassis name. One underneith and it is clear it is a evolution and not revolution. Kinda what you'll find from a 1994 to the 1995 Cavalier.

It is not the same platform. As they said it handles well and all. Its not a revolution no. But it is better than cavaliers. I also think the name change was to lose the stigma of how cavaliers are slow according to most people.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447

Friday, July 21, 2006 9:57 AM
the cobalt held good in these tests. like said befor if it had the LSD it would have been the fastes one. for them to put it in last for looks because of the wing thats just stupid. if the scion is such a good car why did it come in last place in almost everything they did. and it also had there TRD blower on it. wait till the 2008 cobalts come out that will be the best year for them they already are in the top 10 for best selling cars. GM is doing something right with this little car.

1. Ford F-Series 400,177
2. Chevrolet Silverado 317,169
3. Toyota Camry 218,517
4. Dodge Ram 183,174
5. Honda Accord 178,116
6. Honda Civic 165,056
7. Chevrolet Impala 144,730
8. Toyota Corolla 132,182
9. Dodge Caravan 125,813
10. Chevrolet Cobalt 119,952
Friday, July 21, 2006 10:02 AM
They forgot one very important comparison...

CURB WEIGHT:
2877 Honda Civic Si: First Place
2970 Scion tC Supercharged: Second Place
2991 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged: Third Place
3308 Volkswagen GTI: Fourth Place

I think this needs to be grouped with powertrain because this puts the overall performance of the car in a whole new light.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Friday, July 21, 2006 10:09 AM
My biggest gripe about that test is how they took 3 intentionally boosted vehicles and compared them with a stock tC with an added supercharger. The other "mods" that were added to the car (with the exception of the Airbags) are rediculous IMO.

If they want a fair comparison, take a Cobalt LS with an eco charger, a base civic with boost, and a base jetta/golf with boost. The TRD S/C was made in hindsight. Just like the 2.4L superchargers.

Of course I may be biased, but I considered all 4 of these vehicles before settling with the tC (which I had no intentions of supercharging anyways).

Friday, July 21, 2006 10:12 AM
jbody03eco wrote: they already are in the top 10 for best selling cars. GM is doing something right with this little car.

1. Ford F-Series 400,177
3. Toyota Camry 218,517
4. Dodge Ram 183,174
5. Honda Accord 178,116
6. Honda Civic 165,056
9. Dodge Caravan 125,813

Yes, rental companies love them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Friday, July 21, 2006 10:15 AM

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Friday, July 21, 2006 10:19 AM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:
jbody03eco wrote: they already are in the top 10 for best selling cars. GM is doing something right with this little car.

1. Ford F-Series 400,177
3. Toyota Camry 218,517
4. Dodge Ram 183,174
5. Honda Accord 178,116
6. Honda Civic 165,056
9. Dodge Caravan 125,813

I see alot of them out and about that arent rentals although I have had one for a rental before.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Friday, July 21, 2006 10:28 AM
Quote:

wow your a tool to no end

some are rental cars but not all of them are. i see alot and alot of more people bying them all the chevy dealers here say they have a hard time keeping them on the lot. it tooke me over 2 months to find a 2.4SS because they care selling nicely. just because you hate them dont mean you can bag on them. i hate the civic and scion so much but you dont see me saying stupid crap about them.
Friday, July 21, 2006 10:38 AM
jbody03eco wrote:
Quote:

some are rental cars but not all of them are. i see alot and alot of more people bying them all the chevy dealers here say they have a hard time keeping them on the lot. it tooke me over 2 months to find a 2.4SS because they care selling nicely. just because you hate them dont mean you can bag on them. i hate the civic and scion so much but you dont see me saying stupid crap about them.

Easy killer. A good portion of sales are I am sure to rental car companies. But hey, its better than not selling them. Rental car companies also like Altimas, which I felt was all that much better than any other car or even the cav.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Friday, July 21, 2006 10:40 AM
jbody03eco wrote:
Quote:

Before you start calling people names, why don't you remove the label of ignorance and see how much of a% the sales figures goes to fleets.
Just because YOU see them around YOUR town does mean there are not being sold for fleet. Remember there are 49 states surrounding you (considering you live in the US) and that your minuscule comment does not account the majority of reality.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, July 21, 2006 10:44 AM

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Friday, July 21, 2006 10:51 AM
Quote:

I also think the name change was to lose the stigma of how cavaliers are slow according to most people.

dude, they could of gave the cavi a transverse mounted ls1 and a 4t60 hd trans and people still would of been like "yo thats nothing next to my single cam vtack daWg"

Friday, July 21, 2006 10:56 AM
NUTCASE . wrote:
Quote:

I also think the name change was to lose the stigma of how cavaliers are slow according to most people.

dude, they could of gave the cavi a transverse mounted ls1 and a 4t60 hd trans and people still would of been like "yo thats nothing next to my single cam vtack daWg"

That is what I said pretty much. BTW you would want a 4L65E and rwd cuz the ls1 wouldnt fit transversely.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447

Friday, July 21, 2006 11:08 AM
Quote:

that makes no sence at all, it is an all new desigin, it is a new platform, it is a new name, it is a huge upgrade,it isnt an evolution to the cavalier..they look somwhat simular the ls has the 2.2 which they just used the crapalier as a lab rat for...i donno what more you want..

Friday, July 21, 2006 11:27 AM
I think he is talking about the suspension underpinnings.

05 M6 YJ GTO 1 of 447
Friday, July 21, 2006 11:44 AM
In this comparison, I wonder why they didn't go with a Ion Red Line...

I'm no big fan of Saturn, but if I were in the market for this kind of car, that would be number one on my shopping list.

I know that sounds contradictory, but really it's the same chassis and driveline. Why not?

You even get better seats with it, too.

Unfortunately, you get a huge wing, too, But for $2K less than a SS Supercharged, I could live with it.

George (geozinger)
'95 Sunfire GT-my second Pontiac from Hell!
'97 Cavy Beater-still running like a champ!
'04 Sunfire - my kid's car, but I get the bills...
'09 Pontiac G6 - Sport Package 1

Friday, July 21, 2006 11:47 AM
halfJ99 wrote:
Quote:

Proof that GM should have done a all-new design then to update a Cavalier and slap a new name and chassis name. One look underneith and it is clear it is a evolution and not revolution. Kinda what you'll find from a 1994 to the 1995 Cavalier.

that makes no sence at all, it is an all new desigin, it is a new platform, it is a new name, it is a huge upgrade,it isnt an evolution to the cavalier..they look somwhat simular the ls has the 2.2 which they just used the crapalier as a lab rat for...i donno what more you want..

Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:

^Fooled somebody.
It is "all new" to YOU, but yes on a new car name and yes on a new "chassis name."
But... .
It is not new to the rest of the world. The platform that you all think is "all new " has been seeing duty the rest of the world since the first Gulf war (1991) in Opels. It was later revamped in 1998 and revamped again in 2003 when it showed up on the ION. Opel Astra is now using the latest version of it. And when Opel designed the 1991 chassis, Opel was inspired by the J at the time, hence the similarities underneath.
You get a Cavalier and a Cobalt on a lift and see chassis you will see huge similarities, it is a update (evolution), not "all new." Much the same way the amount of change went in a 1994 to a 1995 J.
Think of it like this; If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, quacks as a duck, it is a duck.
Now, if it looks like a Cavalier (body and chassis), creeks and rattles like a Cavalier, and has poor fit&finish like a Cavalier, it is a Cavalier---albeit a updated Cavalier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, July 21, 2006 11:52 AM

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search