pontiac g5....the us will have their cobalt clone: - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
pontiac g5....the us will have their cobalt clone:
Thursday, June 08, 2006 1:49 PM
im sure this is a repost from somewhere lol.......the pontiac website says it will be available aug of 06. just figure i would share nonetheless.

ClassGlass / RkSport / Eibach / Motegi / Ractive / Borla / K&N

Re: pontiac g5....the us will have their cobalt cl
Thursday, June 08, 2006 1:57 PM
i think i already seen one here

Thursday, June 08, 2006 1:59 PM
Several times. There's also been a post with the build guide for it (same as Cobalts, since it's still a Delta car)

Thursday, June 08, 2006 2:06 PM
I like the taillights.

Thursday, June 08, 2006 11:03 PM
Tail lights are nice but the front sux arse, they could have done something to change the overall look of the car more, especially after all there ranting about streamlining GMs brands and less rebadging the same cars.... I mean I always knew a cavy and sunfire were the same platform but at least they look way different.

Check out my car....
http://members.cardomain.com/o4blackfire
Friday, June 09, 2006 9:01 AM
Well, the Ion looks different..

Red 2005 Saturn Ion-3 Coupe
Burgundy 2006 Saturn Ion - sold
Friday, June 09, 2006 12:19 PM
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 4:36 PM
So if this is the Pontiac version of the GMs Delta platform, them what is the Pontiac Pursuit about?

Car Domain Update 3/06
Click on SIG

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 5:54 PM
^^^^^^I belive thats the old name
Tuesday, June 13, 2006 6:00 PM
I think there was a topic like this...the pursuit will be either the subname or the name used in Canada...but im not sure

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 8:52 PM
It has been called the Pontiac Pursuit until this year, now it's called the G5 Pursuit, and soon will be called just G5.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 10:45 AM
Didn't GM say that this Pontiac was only going to be sold in Canada? Not that it's a bad little car, if I wasn't still paying on the Sunfire I'd rather have bought this one.

Car Domain Update 3/06
Click on SIG

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 8:09 PM
They brought it to the US because enough of us were b!tchin and moanin and complaining that there was nothing to replace the Sunfire.

Personally, I think G5 is the goddam stupidest name for a car. Its like pointing out that this car is a lower quality vehicle than the G6, and the whole G# naming convention is frickin retarded.

I would have loved for it to just stay the Pursuit...that is a nice name. Not G-blank!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 10:36 PM
i think they need a new grill...im sick of that same goddamn grill pontiac has been using since like the 1988 grand am

Thursday, June 15, 2006 5:30 AM
Quote:

Personally, I think G5 is the goddam stupidest name for a car. Its like pointing out that this car is a lower quality vehicle than the G6, and the whole G# naming convention is frickin retarded.

um the G5 isint in the same class as the G6 it shouldint be as nice as the G6 and also with G6 starts at 20G the G5 is starting at 14G and bringing the G5 over to the US is a good idea because pontaic might have people that like buying pontaics over chevys? like when the G5 gets here i have one waiting for me and its the GT one and i cant wait to get it.

Quote:

i think they need a new grill...im sick of that same goddamn grill pontiac has been using since like the 1988 grand am

Thats pontaics thing the grilled like that why would they stop doing that? look at BMW they have had the same front end on there cars sence the 80s also.
Thursday, June 15, 2006 1:10 PM
This is, there is nothing wrong with keeping the "Sunfire" name on around either. Look at some of the Hondas or Toyotas. They've kept the names on their vehicles no matter how many revisions they've gone through. Now I can understand going from the Cavalier to the Cobalt. To me, "Cobalt" has a better ring to it than "Cavalier". But that's just my opinion.

Car Domain Update 3/06
Click on SIG

Thursday, June 15, 2006 1:24 PM
Solarfirepower wrote:This is, there is nothing wrong with keeping the "Sunfire" name on around either. Look at some of the Hondas or Toyotas. They've kept the names on their vehicles no matter how many revisions they've gone through. Now I can understand going from the Cavalier to the Cobalt. To me, "Cobalt" has a better ring to it than "Cavalier". But that's just my opinion.

well it was j2000 then sunbird then sunfire then g5 so yeah they kept changing the name

Thursday, June 15, 2006 4:17 PM
yes and sunfire screams buy me

Thursday, June 15, 2006 10:32 PM
New site opened up today or yesterday:

http://www.pontiac.com/g5/index.jsp

2000 2200 Cavalier: 9/14/2000--10/23/2006
2007 G85 SS S/C: 10/23/2006--Present
Vote for me at Motortopia.com! Thanks!
Thursday, June 15, 2006 10:39 PM
All I'm saying is that why can't they stick with a name. I mean, they did bring back the GTO and it looks nothing like the GTOs of the past.

Give a car a really good name that people will remember, build it so that when that name carries on for decades that people will remember it's reliablility. G5 is a name that has no personality. Giving the Cobalt it's name not only gave the car a great name, but the name goes with the companies catchphrase, "Like a rock!" Same with the Avalanche.

Pontiac had something going on with the words Fire, Bird & Sun (ei., Firebird, Sunbird, Sunfire...), as well as "AMs" and Grand (ei., Grand Am, Trans Am, Grand Prix.....). Why not keep with the theme?

As for the new grills....They've need to revise it. I know that they're trying to theme all their cars the same way, but come on..... they need better designers that will make people look at Pontiacs and have a little more awe to the way it looks.

Car Domain Update 3/06
Click on SIG

Thursday, June 15, 2006 10:56 PM
with the grill thing...i ont mind the honey comb part...its the stupid shape.

and i dont have to see 300 bmw's a day so im not sick of them yet

Thursday, June 15, 2006 11:27 PM
Solarfirepower wrote:All I'm saying is that why can't they stick with a name. I mean, they did bring back the GTO and it looks nothing like the GTOs of the past.

Give a car a really good name that people will remember, build it so that when that name carries on for decades that people will remember it's reliablility. G5 is a name that has no personality. Giving the Cobalt it's name not only gave the car a great name, but the name goes with the companies catchphrase, "Like a rock!" Same with the Avalanche.

Pontiac had something going on with the words Fire, Bird & Sun (ei., Firebird, Sunbird, Sunfire...), as well as "AMs" and Grand (ei., Grand Am, Trans Am, Grand Prix.....). Why not keep with the theme?

As for the new grills....They've need to revise it. I know that they're trying to theme all their cars the same way, but come on..... they need better designers that will make people look at Pontiacs and have a little more awe to the way it looks.

The problem is...Sunfire/Cavalier are names synonomous with crappy build, poor reliability, etc. I guarentee that if they had kept the name Cavalier instead of Cobalt, it wouldn't have sold have as many units, even with the SS. Gm made a good move by dropping the tired names in order to renew their economy car lineup fully in the eys of buyers.

Friday, June 16, 2006 7:13 AM
Yet Cavalier wind up selling more then Cobalt.^ Two, you ask any person on the street, face them to a Cobalt while the badges are covered and ask them: What car is this? I guarantee you that the person will say: "the new Chevy Cavalier."

Which in the end is not totally off. Name marketing can only go so far.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Friday, June 16, 2006 11:50 AM
i think the G1 woulda been better then the g5...i understand their trying to place it just under the g6....i just the G1 sounds better

Friday, June 16, 2006 3:19 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote: Name marketing can only go so far.

While name marketing can only go so far, it may just be GM and some other companies that have problems with it. But then, look at Honda and their Accords and Civics. How far has that name carried back? How about Toyota and their Corollas and yes, even their Celicas. Those companies just make great enough cars that the next generation carries on that name no matter their body styling or even their powerplant GM just needs to get their sh!t together and make better cars. You just can't compete with companies who keep pumping out the same name cars for decades and people still prefer them to any other cars.

Car Domain Update 3/06
Click on SIG

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search