Hey all im new. got some questions - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hey all im new. got some questions
Thursday, January 05, 2006 6:51 PM
First off i just wanted to say hi to yall. Im new here and i have a 96 sunfire. its a 2.2 automatic 2 door. its a very nice car, runs great and only has 81,000 miles on it. well this is my daily driver to school,work, etc. im not looking to make a rocket out of it... i got a 85z28 for that. But i do wanna gain some performance. I have just recently did a tuneup on it with ac delco platnum plugs and accel 300+ thundersport wires. i have also removed the stock airbox and replaced it with a spectre open element cone filter in the place of the air box. I have also just ordered a pacesetter header for it.... so that will be going on in a couple days when it arives. Do yall recoment anything else?

Re: Hey all im new. got some questions
Thursday, January 05, 2006 8:51 PM
I recommend finishing your exhaust system. Your stock catalytic converter and cat-back piping is still going to be a restricting point even with a bigger header....in other words, you will have much smaller gains that you would normally unless you upgrade the whole thing.

Also, get the whole intake, not just the cone, it would help a bit more as far as performance. It's all about getting rid of restriction.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Thursday, January 05, 2006 10:04 PM
Maybe upper and lower motor mounts, throttle body, crank pulley and alternator pulley. That plus what NJHK (King Of Newbies) said should get you started pretty well.

Friday, January 06, 2006 3:57 PM
yes im waiting on the header right now. i just ordered it last night. then when i get done putting that on im gonna put some new rims and tires for a little appearance booster. but im also planning on an asp crank pulley #840097. then im going to get a magnaflow cat and a pace setter catback exhaust kit. then possibly a 180* thermo before summer hits. what about throtle bodys? is there a larger one i could buy for it?
Friday, January 06, 2006 5:09 PM
First of all, Welcome to the addiction.

Second, fill out your profile. It'll be alot easier for someone to help you out if you ever have questions or problems.

Third, you've got some good mods planned for your car. The only thing I would recommend would be to stay away from the Pacesetter cat-back system. I've heard numerous stories where their setups just rotted and practically fell of the car. Sometimes this is due to the weather conditions in the area you live, sometimes its heavy concentrations of water, and sometimes its just poor quality.

What size piping are you planning for your car? I'd also recommend waiting to install all the exhaust components together, but that's just me.

Blown.
Friday, January 06, 2006 7:08 PM
yea i mean im a big modder hence my heavily modded 85z28. but i got the sunfire just for a daily driver to school and work and such. then it just started with some appearce mods... now im doin performance stuff...... well im not worried about rust i live in NC. but is the pace setter kit bad? its one of the only kits i could fine that was in my price range. id rather buy a kit then have a shop ben one becuase a shop made one wont be mandrel bent.
Friday, January 06, 2006 7:13 PM
is my profile workin?

1996 Pontiac Sunfire 2 door 2.2 Automatic
GTO headlight covers, Custom cold air intake, Accel 300+ thundersport wires, Pacesetter header....... more mods to come
Friday, January 06, 2006 9:27 PM
Andrew Howe wrote:is my profile workin?

It just shows your birthday...need to fill out the rest.

www.kronosperformance.com / 732-742-8837

Saturday, January 07, 2006 1:08 PM
Yea, but I meant your car info. I'm just giving you a friendly heads up before some of the people on here start ripping you a new one for it, haha.

As for the cat-back, personally, I wouldn't purchase anything that has been seen as having questionable quality. You'll have to do a quick search in the performance forum and see what you can find. If not, search the members section for those that have the cat-back and ask for their opinions.

Moreover, you don't need mandrel bends, that type of bend is one that keeps the diameter of the pipe constant in a bend but since you won't be running large amounts of power, its not necessary. If you're looking for a bit more performance, see if the exhaust shop can bend you a setup with compression bends. Although they don't keep the diameter of the pipe , they offer the same cross-sectional area, thereby still moving the same amount of air as mandrel bends. If the shop only offers crush bends (bends that have the pipe crushed in the bend) then I'd stay away from that type, too.

Hope that helped.

Blown.
Saturday, January 07, 2006 5:54 PM
Stay away from the Pacesetter cat-back system. I have it, and I'm replacing it by February because I hate it so much. Like Filip said, it literally is slowly rotting away from the car, and I've only had it for barely over a year. The Pacesetter 4-1 header is the @!#$ though, get that with the Ceramic coating for some bitchin' power.

Saturday, January 07, 2006 6:27 PM
welcome to your new home, known simply as the ORG!

what everyone else said!

Saturday, January 07, 2006 8:30 PM
well great. atleast the header was a good buy. it should be here on tues. So hopefully next sunday i can get time to put it on... woot woot. ill post results

GTO headlight covers, Custom cold air intake, Accel 300+ thundersport wires, Pacesetter header....... more mods to come
Saturday, January 07, 2006 8:32 PM
oh yeah i also found that jegs makes a catback kit for our cars that has a dual outlet. its only $169.99 and its all 2 1/4" pipe and its aluminized piping. anybody have experience of knowlege about it

Saturday, January 07, 2006 9:11 PM
Pacesetter uses aluminized tubing for their cat-back system, so I don't know if I'd trust Jegs' aluminized setup. Stainless steel pipes and components are what you should look for. Like I said, you don't necessarily need mandrel bends, compression bends would be just as effective for your setup. If the exhaust shop can do that for you, it would be a good deal for you to look at.

Blown.
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 2:56 PM
ok yall my new header came in from summit racing today. i see they sent wire with it cause i have to relocate my 02 sensor. if i do it like the directions state i shouldnt have to worry about check engine lights right? im a little leary on that part but otherwise it looks like a great product and im sure that 2 1/4" head pipe is gonna be much better than the crappy stock 1 7/8 or 2" stuff

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search