2.3 HO intake manifold - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.3 HO intake manifold
Monday, October 03, 2005 4:31 PM
I was wondering 1 how hard it is to swap a 2.3 manifold into the 2.4, and two what kind of gains do most see from this on average, and yes i understand that all cars are different just looking for an average

Re: 2.3 HO intake manifold
Tuesday, October 04, 2005 1:17 AM
you have a 97 so it will be a little more work removing the EGR valve but you have a stick so fitment issues won't be a problem.

when I did it it took me about 3 slow hours to take off the old manifold. Prep the new one, and put it on.

I'm pretty sure GM makes an EGR Blocking plate. Nobody has dynoed this mod either I know I haven't but I've heard anything around 10 horses. if that, I'm not quite sure and I question the validity of that number.

I swapped on the 2.3 56mm TB too while I was at it, I kept my cruise control and everything

It seems like the Quad4forums won't let me access the writeup URweak did.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 7:11 AM
i heard the 99 (and onward?) the egr was taken out, so i believe the 2.3HO mani would fit onto the 2.4 w/o any customization, correct?

*Devil Z*
Tuesday, October 04, 2005 8:00 AM
you'd still need to port match to the ports on the intake manifold. Or you could talk to Chris Fontana and he sells some phenolic spacers that are already port matched.

and depending on which manifold you get (the LO or the HO) you may need to place some grounds in different places but nothing too major.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 9:42 AM
also. some of the holes have to be drilled lower to get them to fit on the engine properly

Thursday, October 06, 2005 4:27 PM
Andrew Wallace wrote:I was wondering 1 how hard it is to swap a 2.3 manifold into the 2.4, and two what kind of gains do most see from this on average, and yes i understand that all cars are different just looking for an average

I have a 2.3 HO cylinder with Ho camshafts for sale if you're interested.

I like my engines how i like my women.... rich and a little bit retareded

Nos is like a hot chick with STD's,.... You know you wanna hit it but you're afraid of the consequences.....
Thursday, October 06, 2005 4:37 PM
what are you looking to get for this?
Thursday, October 06, 2005 11:17 PM
first of all those cams will throw codes. the 2.4 LD9 is very picky about the cams. If you want cams look up posts on "Secret cams"

For this swap you need the 95 2.3L intake camshaft, *VIN D #24574239 and the LO (LD2) 93-94 Quad 4 exhaust cam, *VIN D #24570698. (correct me on these years people?)

the 2.3 Cylinder head is not a direct bolt on to the 2.4. there's some fabrication involved and a lot more research should be done before you start all of this.

here's an excript from the nyjb website.

Most of the die-hard 2.4 owners know that finding good camshafts that improve power are non-existent or have to be custom made. Now you should know that the 2.3 Quad 4 engines had better camshafts, even over stock for the newer 2.4 . The 2.3 and 2.4 are very similar in design, but have some very different parts in them both. Lucky for us the camshaft towers (where the camshafts sit), are the same for both engines and there fore are the same cam shafts. So we can use Quad 4 cams in the LD9 as upgrades. Now what makes this swap a bit different is that the new 2.4 engines have the power steering pump hex shaft machined with the input for the camshaft position to the intake camshaft. Now with the 2.3 the setup is different except for the year 95', where the camshaft has been machined for the hex shaft that drives the power steering pump mounted to the back of the engine and has an input for the cam position sensor, which is the same as the 2.4. For this swap you need the 95 2.3L intake camshaft, *VIN D #24574239 and the LO (LD2) 93-94 Quad 4 exhaust cam, *VIN D #24570698.

correct me if I'm wrong anyone?

Anyways, you should wait a bit before you start on all of these mods. hopefully someone else has something better to say about this.

Monday, October 10, 2005 9:52 AM
Inari (Protected by Pedro) wrote:first of all those cams will throw codes. the 2.4 LD9 is very picky about the cams. If you want cams look up posts on "Secret cams"

For this swap you need the 95 2.3L intake camshaft, *VIN D #24574239 and the LO (LD2) 93-94 Quad 4 exhaust cam, *VIN D #24570698. (correct me on these years people?)

the 2.3 Cylinder head is not a direct bolt on to the 2.4. there's some fabrication involved and a lot more research should be done before you start all of this.

here's an excript from the nyjb website.

Most of the die-hard 2.4 owners know that finding good camshafts that improve power are non-existent or have to be custom made. Now you should know that the 2.3 Quad 4 engines had better camshafts, even over stock for the newer 2.4 . The 2.3 and 2.4 are very similar in design, but have some very different parts in them both. Lucky for us the camshaft towers (where the camshafts sit), are the same for both engines and there fore are the same cam shafts. So we can use Quad 4 cams in the LD9 as upgrades. Now what makes this swap a bit different is that the new 2.4 engines have the power steering pump hex shaft machined with the input for the camshaft position to the intake camshaft. Now with the 2.3 the setup is different except for the year 95', where the camshaft has been machined for the hex shaft that drives the power steering pump mounted to the back of the engine and has an input for the cam position sensor, which is the same as the 2.4. For this swap you need the 95 2.3L intake camshaft, *VIN D #24574239 and the LO (LD2) 93-94 Quad 4 exhaust cam, *VIN D #24570698.

correct me if I'm wrong anyone?

Anyways, you should wait a bit before you start on all of these mods. hopefully someone else has something better to say about this.

the make a coversion kit so the 2.3 will bolt up. I also believe that an safc will take care of your fuel issues with the new cams. The HO cams will not hurt you like the w41 cams will. I'm looking for $200 for the enitre assembly, head and cams

I like my engines how i like my women.... rich and a little bit retareded

Nos is like a hot chick with STD's,.... You know you wanna hit it but you're afraid of the consequences.....
Monday, October 10, 2005 6:20 PM
inari is right about almost everything i believe, the only thing is you can get the cam out of an LO or an HO, i would go HO since it is designed for higher output, so the cam should be wilder, i think

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search