The Trilogy- My JBody story - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
The Trilogy- My JBody story
Sunday, July 06, 2008 5:37 PM
Well it all started in 2002 when I bought my first JBody brand new off the show room floor. Since then I have been through a total of three Js all of which have been Cavaliers. I been a member on the ORG since 2002 as well chiming in on nearly every thread without most people realizing I have vast experience in pretty much all areas of the J. Most threads of the 2.4 however I stayed clear from because besides cam swaps and limited tuning I never really had much experience with the engine. The first one I bought is going to be the first set of pictures. This vehicle went through two exterior changes and from N/A to Boost. Its bottom end stayed stock even though I had everything to build it I never got around to it. The head however I had modified several things that woke the car up considerably. When I purchased this vehicle it was for the most part the last run of the 2200 engine before the Ecotec was later released that year. I wanted the Ecotec badly but had gotten such a good deal on the 2200 I took it anyway. After much alteration to this vehicle over the next few years I had eventually become a decent part of the JBody communities expansion of parts. I had become friends or acquaintances with several after market companies. This was the beginning of several prototyping projects that ultimately led to the production of several parts for our Js. Remember the community was pretty limited then to a very few little bolt ons and some body kits. Well these contacts and such led the first car to be featured in SEMA in 2003 as a XENON showcase. I have built all these vehicles with my own two hands with exception to painting and I figured I should show off the work a little. I never really posted many Pictures of my vehicles throughout the years so I figured it was time to show them off to the people whom I have been a part of for several years........ you guys with the little underdog JBody.

Then came the exterior change and engine alteration.................

I purchased this next Cavalier in 2005 to try to get what I had originally wanted in the first place....... THE ECOTEC. I will have you know ALL three of my cars have been 2002s and not by coincidence either. This model year was my favorite J ever made. The factory lip kit and front bumper were YUM!!!!

After a few years of building and owning this red Cavalier the unthinkable happened on my way home from work in March of this year. I was cruising along on the highway and I knew I was really low on gas when I left from work but I had enough to make it home no problem. As I was going along the engine started to stutter, WHOA! I wasn't that low but I guess Im out of gas so I pulled off the next exit with a gas station. As I made a left off the exit to go to the station a block down the road it stalled. Damn it Im so close to the gas station "come on baby". I did what anyone would do in that situation. I through it in neutral while I still had some momentum. I primed the fuel three times with the key and cranked it over.................................................................................................THE SECOND I cranked that motor over the car BURST into flames. I mean CF hood swelled up and was like an explosion. OK thats not good so I immediately pulled over slammed on the brakes jumped out with the fire extinguisher and just cracked the glowing red hood enough to fit the nozzle under and prevent a flash fire in my face. I got the fire out three times but it just kept flaring up from fuel and eventually I ran out of extinguisher juice. I had to just stand back and watch her burn as the fire department came around the corner to my rescue. Mind you this all happened in less then a few minutes. The fire department just so happen to be at the same corner the gas station was at I was trying to make it to. Needless to say I had apparently ruptured a fuel line or the quick disconnect came apart and when I primed the fuel three times what I was really doing was covering the starter with fuel and or filling the engine bay with fumes and as soon as the starter sparked over it went up like a candle. So I present you with the aftermath of this tragic ending to what I thought to be a beautiful Cavalier.

I have a great add for Optima Batteries to as believe it or not this battery STILL worked, LOL!!!!

After the death of my red Cavalier It was time to start looking for the next project and I had to get another Cavalier even though I had thought pretty seriously about getting a totally new project. It didn't make sense to do so because for the past 8 months or so I had been building this in the background for the future of the red car that never came to be for it.

The engine was complete. Something I had ordered months previously was ready to ship but I had no car to install it in. I needed a host for it now so in May of this year I found a Cavalier I wanted after searching for several weeks and lots of test drives later of multiple casting interviews. I found it at a little dealer in California. By the way it is unreal how many Js do not have clean titles. It needed a little body work and some love but it was in pretty good condition. So here is the grand finale of my Trilogy of Cavaliers.

First it needed freshening up with a new paint job by a few buddies of mine and I couldn't just go with the original yellow so instead I went with prolly one of the coolest paints I have seen. I stuck with the stock base color (re-painted) and then layered it with crushed glass then topped it off with a couple coats of clear. All in all it was a three stage paint that was worth the pretty penny in materials. Its subtle from afar and doesn't reveal its craziness till you are right on top of it. It was exactly what I was going for. I didn't want it to be ridiculous but different.

The entire car is coated in the crushed glass so in the right lights the whole car also changes color just like you see the hood in this picture. Its REALLY cool in person and pictures do NO justice is showing itself off.

Then on to the inside guts after dropping in my newly finished motor and slapping on my long awaited order it was for the most part completed and did I mention insanely FAST!!!!!!!!

Well I hope you enjoyed some of my toys as I have tried to do my best and I would have to say this will likely be my last J to build so I hope it was worth it. Just takes a ride in it and you'll agree...............................

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Re: The Trilogy- My JBody story
Sunday, July 06, 2008 5:49 PM
Nice man, too bad about the red one really... but I like what you got in the end
Good spirit keeping with a cavalier again!

" To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous. "
Sunday, July 06, 2008 5:50 PM
oh my dear LORD. you took that fire a little lightly IMO...

that engine bay was freaking GORGEOUS, if that happened to me with my engine bay i would be devastated.

*knock on wood* *knock on wood* *knock on wood*

new car is bonerific, great job. lol and now you are another one with the smoothed style radiator support cover.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, July 06, 2008 5:52 PM

Sunday, July 06, 2008 5:50 PM
Some of the cleanest Jbody engine bays I've seen. Very nicely built.

Sunday, July 06, 2008 5:51 PM
Wow!

Sunday, July 06, 2008 5:56 PM
Remember all these thumbnails can be clicked to see the full picture. Thats when you really get to see the details. Most of which the pics are in raw form no re-sizing. I didnt wanna post pics that HUGE on here for obvious reasons

Sunday, July 06, 2008 5:57 PM
nice $10,000 engine.

Sunday, July 06, 2008 6:25 PM
z yaaaa wrote:oh my dear LORD. you took that fire a little lightly IMO...

Let me tell you burnt cavalier stinks!
Sunday, July 06, 2008 6:32 PM
Wow, I cant say one bad thing about any of your cars, and I HATE the Xenon kit.
The red one was my favorite by far.
The new one is amazing aswell.
I am stealing your paint idea with your Type J sides btw

Sunday, July 06, 2008 6:55 PM
Amazing color choice!

-Markus
2002 Yellow Cavalier LS Sport

Sunday, July 06, 2008 7:47 PM
kab00m wrote:Wow!

x2

Sunday, July 06, 2008 8:06 PM
Mmmm Xenon... I love that Kit... Still looks good

Sunday, July 06, 2008 8:07 PM
GOD, after ur first J was boosted the engine bay was fricken STUFFED. all ur J's are fricken amazing.

"still want to smash that like the fist of an angry god"
Sunday, July 06, 2008 9:11 PM
amazing work bro. there are very few on this site that pay that much attention to detail, and you're certainly at the very top.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Sunday, July 06, 2008 9:28 PM
Sorry to hear about your luck with the red one.

I love your passion for a top notch looking engine bay and quality work! Your cars have always looked good and are an inspiration to me.

I love the new yellow paint. I would have had the engine bay painted though. I really do not like the look of the color changing cowl. Maybe it looks better in person.

Are you going to be at the bash this year? I want t o see your car in person.

Also I demand engine dyno numbers and track times ASAP. LOL The new setup looks pretty bad ass.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Monday, July 07, 2008 5:35 AM
Love it, love everything about the yellow car, sad to see what happend to the red car though.. Glad you stuck with it.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, July 07, 2008 6:05 AM
awsome, HUGE thumbs up from up... exterior styling isn't really the route I would have gone but nothing was rigged up or looks bad, quality work all around

Monday, July 07, 2008 6:41 AM
One of the best threads I have read in 2008. Thank you sir and much props to you and all 3 of your Cavalier.

Monday, July 07, 2008 8:24 AM
Super duper car man, Its perfect!

Monday, July 07, 2008 9:36 AM
I remember meeting you and seeing your first car in the Kroger parking lot on M59 and Cresent Lake Road, this had to be in 02 or 03, your engine was still stock, but you had the RK kit on, I wasn't driving my car that day, was with a few friends. I think you said you were back in MI from Cali visiting your parents...

Monday, July 07, 2008 10:02 AM
Oh WOW yeah I do remember that. I was indeed visiting the family and I drove it to MI to have it painted as well. Yeah the car has been through a lot since then.

Thanks guys on the comments they are much appreciated........... The color change on the scoop was taken at an angle that really showed it for those that dont so much like it. For the most part you see the carbon fiber and at the right angles it bursts into color. It really needs to be seen in person to get the effect but I assure you it is really neat.

Monday, July 07, 2008 10:20 AM
Wished you posted in here a little more often!

Love all the cars, however did not know the event with the red one occured! Sucks to see.

Pretty impressive on the bounce back though considering, love your taste and the quality you've pumped out....not once, but three times! Some people on here could learn from you.

Monday, July 07, 2008 10:26 AM
wow man all very nice cars, your basically where I want to be at in a couple years. gotta love that huge fab. intake manifold
Monday, July 07, 2008 11:25 AM
good story man. nice read.

i love all 3 cars. good work.

Portage, MI
Thursday, July 10, 2008 11:29 PM
damn the new hahn manifold is nice

12.5@116 2.0 60ft
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search