question about harness bar - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
question about harness bar
Sunday, May 21, 2006 7:34 AM
Ok i just ordered my harness bar from RD Fabs. I was wondering once i run my racing harnesses through the harness bar, where do i bolt the harnesses down to. Thanks in advance.

SIG coming to an org near you!!!

Re: question about harness bar
Sunday, May 21, 2006 8:04 AM
just use a square knot. i've read somewhere abotu people using the bolts where the rear seats anchor bolts were at if you took out your rear bench.

Sunday, May 21, 2006 8:12 AM
See i was thinking about a square knot but i wasnt sure . Would people still be able to sit in the back seat if i would have to put people back there. Thats pretty much my main concern. And if anyone has pictures that would be great to.

Sunday, May 21, 2006 2:30 PM
well my info was going off a sports compact magazine that myth buster issue that just came out. if your still going to be using your back seat then i have no clue.

Sunday, May 21, 2006 3:09 PM
how do you tie a square knot??

RIP Saint ........ JBO
Sunday, May 21, 2006 3:26 PM
Eazy Ent. ( 716 ) wrote:how do you tie a square knot??

http://www.goals.com/vyc/knots/square.htm

-- or --

http://www.ehow.com/how_7536_tie-square-knot.html

Sunday, May 21, 2006 3:30 PM
that first link is mad cool. thanks!!!

RIP Saint ........ JBO
Sunday, May 21, 2006 3:31 PM
it was justa joke and now i have turned this thread into the boyscouts knot tying thread sorry for the jack lol

Sunday, May 21, 2006 8:42 PM
On the console-side, you need to drill an actual hole in the "tunnel" of the car. After you slide the bolt through from the inside, you have to put a much bigger (thick) plate around it on the underside of the car. Basically, under extreme force, this plate won't allow the bolt to pull through the floor boards rendering your harness useless.

On the sill-side, you can use the existing bolt from the factory setup.

Monday, May 22, 2006 6:23 AM
Gabe- no problem i thought it was quite funny

agent omega- thanks for the info. i guess ill be doing some drilling.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 6:41 AM
Agent Omega, Because the other trend disappeared....

I was getting at with only a slightly bigger tubular rod. Say 7/8" o.d. and 3/4" i.d. the second moment of inertia is slightly more than a 5/8" rod.
5/8"=0.0239
7/8"=0.0302
This will still be overkill for your.
Yes the torsional stresses for the solid rod is stronger, but in a harness bar there should be little to any torsional stresses.
You will also be saving weight, and maybe price on material.
Also I would recommend a rod that connects the middle of the harness bar to the middle floor behind the front seats. This would also give you a little added insurance that the harness bar will not bend in a bad crash. This could bolt to the middle hump right behind the center console.

In worse case senserio, each seat belt strap will have around 3000 psi of force acting on it, your bar should hold up fine.

A lot of those reasons are why roll cages are made from tubular bar stock. Yes, your design will hold up GREAT, I am not saying it is a bad design, I was just trying to give you some outside constructive criticism on your product.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search