Help with Aftermarket Wheel install(Air bag wire) - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help with Aftermarket Wheel install(Air bag wire)
Thursday, May 11, 2006 12:59 PM
ok i bought a Bride racing wheel and MOMO hub went to install it today and had no probs.. got it all installed.. but when i turn sometimes it honks.. which i've tried fixing anything possible except the airbag wire.. Once u disconnect the airbag the 2 wires and connector i tucked into the hub.. now the only thing left to try and fix is those wires are moving the plastic behind the hub making the horn honk. For anyone who has installed momo hub what did u do with the air bag wires? Just cut em? or do they pull out somehow?

Also the spring thing for the horn, is that supposed to lock in somehow?cuz if u just put it in the hole it doesnt work but when u push it down the horn works.. is it supposed to lock in to anything?

i searched but didnt find the answers..

any advice is helpful. thanks

Re: Help with Aftermarket Wheel install(Air bag wi
Thursday, May 11, 2006 2:46 PM
well i guess i didnt remove everything.. i was told that the white circle with yellow circle in the middle of it needs to come out.. so does anyone know how to remove this plastic peice which is between teh hub and colomn?

Thursday, May 11, 2006 5:55 PM
THe air bag clock spring? THere's a tension clip right on top of it that holds it in place on the column. Just remove that & it slides right off the column.
Thursday, May 11, 2006 6:30 PM
Where did you get your momo adapter and how much did it cost you?

Thursday, May 11, 2006 6:32 PM
Well after talking to seasonz he said i just need to cut the wires cuz the clock spring prolly needs to stay in there right? So i can just clip the wires and see if that fixes my prob with it..

Friday, May 12, 2006 5:15 AM
Who needs an airbag clock spring with no airbag anyway.....

Friday, May 12, 2006 3:13 PM
ok so it doesnt effect anything else? prolly take it out then. anyone got a pic of the clip that has to come out?

97CavfireZ: I bought it used for 30 shipped.. Brian(z2flip4) sold it to me since he was junking whatever was left so i snagged it from him for a great deal and in good condition.

Friday, May 12, 2006 3:32 PM
Nevermind.. finally found it in the Haynes manual.. best thing i've ever bought for my Js

Sunday, May 14, 2006 2:16 PM
I have a Grant wheel and have been trying to find an adapter that will allow me to use the grant wheel on my 2005 sunfire but have had no luck....I am about to go to a machine shop but I thought I would check here first cause I have seen other j-bodys with aftermarket steering wheels. I already have the air bag and coil removed with no problems and have been driving it this way for a week and still no problems but I am sick of this old wheel now and really want to finish this job.... any ideas.
Sunday, May 14, 2006 3:49 PM
is teh grant wheel a 5 bolt hub or 6 bolt? for 6bolt u can get a MOMO hub.. Jason @ Aplusperformance.com can get u them at a good price.

Now if its a 5 bolt hub like i was told Grants are go to a past thread i started, here:
Using a 92 Sunbird Hub Adapter on 3rd gen?

Sunday, May 14, 2006 4:55 PM
ok but how do you hook your horn up

Sunday, May 14, 2006 5:56 PM
The hub i got from brian came with 2 wires.. a ground and a positive with a spring end on it like the wheel setup so it should work just as stock.. prolly tomma i will redo my hub and remove the clock spring and be able to give u a positive answer on the horn tho..

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 6:40 PM
You can use the billet hub to fit your Grant wheel to an 05 fire. Part 5196
Thursday, May 18, 2006 4:46 PM
Did you get the horn stuff figured out?
Did it help to remove the airbag clock spring?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search