To tach or not to tach that is the question - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
To tach or not to tach that is the question
Saturday, March 25, 2006 3:16 AM
Why do people put some big @$$ tachs in there cars when most of there cars come with one on the dash

i never understood that

and why do some people put techs with shift lights on an automatic

Re: To tach or not to tach that is the question
Saturday, March 25, 2006 6:28 AM
Ive always been told that, a stock tach is only so good. Say when your at 4200 RPM--says your stock tach--it may be off by as much as 500-600 rpm's. The higher up you go past say 3500-4000 rpm, the amount its off increases greatly. Say at idle though, your fine.

You may think that your ok at 5000 rpm with a stock tach but you would be redlining it, in actual numbers! stock tachs are not meant to be accurate....just look cool for the most part.

I'm not sure about that newer cars with OBD2 however...they may be right on all the time. Someone in the JBO may have additional info on that.

<---<<<Check Out The Ride!
Saturday, March 25, 2006 7:29 AM
SiLvEr StRiPeY 04 wrote:You may think that your ok at 5000 rpm with a stock tach but you would be redlining it, in actual numbers! stock tachs are not meant to be accurate....just look cool for the most part.

are you talking about???
Yeah, the factory just puts them in for looks and then makes the needle move randomly to make it look cool, they really serve no purpose at all.
Yup, that is what they do.
Besides universal tachs are designed to work better be made bigger and more retarded, and are enginered to meet factory specs of your car as it is being biult on the assembly line. I mean really, what do car engineers know anyway. They just make stuff look cool.

Sorry but I call I'm sure there is more to it than that.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=1&i=333805&t=333704#333805
Saturday, March 25, 2006 7:52 AM

What I'm saying is that there not that accurate...there there from the factory on a lot of vehicles..doesn't mean there that accurate...have you ever measured your for accuracy!

Same with all gauges from the factory...your temp may be off by as much as 25-50 degrees at times....come on man...do the math! Cavalier speedo's are quite a bit off..after abou 85-90 MPH! etc. etc.

The "assembly line" as you call it is concerned with a safe and sane vehicles, for the most part, and a that will be OK perspective...the average Joe don't know much about vehicles. If they were spot on all the time...people like auto-meter would be out of a job!

DO YOU HAVE a ASE Certification like I do!

p.s. -I DONT SPEAK -I SPEAK TRUTH!

Saturday, March 25, 2006 7:57 AM
I dont need to be ASE certifed, its common sense.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=1&i=333805&t=333704#333805
Saturday, March 25, 2006 8:01 AM
Whatever........life goes on.

Saturday, March 25, 2006 3:57 PM
some people like the aftermarket tachs because they are more accurate then the stock tach. i got a small tach for my car because my car didnt come w/ a tach and its a manual. i dont need it but its nice to have and its nice when im having problems w/ my car i can see what the rpms are doin'

Saturday, March 25, 2006 5:21 PM
the only reason i put mine on is because i did know if the stock one worked good or not.

Saturday, March 25, 2006 5:34 PM
i got a 5" tach because i just like the aggresive look it gives my interior......more of a race car look.....as ricey as that may sound.dont know if its more accurate than stock,im very satisfied . thats all that matters.

ClassGlass / RkSport / Eibach / Motegi / Ractive / Borla / K&N

Monday, March 27, 2006 1:26 PM
Aftermarket tachs are more accurate. On an auto it's basiclly pointless. On a 5 speed, when you are racing, the shift light tells you when to shift. This may helps you shift a little quicker, and you get to keep both eyes on the road without haveing to be look down at you stock tach.

Monday, March 27, 2006 1:46 PM
I have an auto and mine didn't come with one either, but i plan on running nitrous and i will need to know when to turn it off... etc. Also mine is in a gauge pod and looks clean.

Sunday, April 16, 2006 10:10 PM
i have a five speed, no tach, how gay is that?

Sunday, April 16, 2006 11:56 PM
yeah my auto came with a tach. weird how that works. I'll give that one a face

Monday, April 17, 2006 7:44 AM
should i get a tach? i have a 95 and i dont know if its accurate or not...it sounds like i need one...also i like the way this looks...ima do that when i get my 1st gen
( but itll be a manual )

CHECK OUT MY DOMAIN!!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2236703
Monday, April 17, 2006 7:58 AM
i have an auto, the only reason i got a shift light is because i like to slap shift my car out on the track(dont ask me why, makes me feel cool) the shift light is nice when you are doing that so you dont have to watch the speedo to shift right, you can pay attention to other things like that other guy next to you, or your rearview to make sure any parts aint coming off

fully built 2200-TO4E T3/T4-HP tuners-373hp @18psi
Monday, April 17, 2006 10:04 AM
Ton-E wrote: On an auto it's basiclly pointless.

that is so MUCH BS its not even funny

the trans type doesnt matter , what matters is how you drive the car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you drive like granny , then no need for a tach

unless she is the little ole lady from pasedena , LOL

if you race IT a large accurate tach is the way to go , NO MATTER WHAT TRANS YOU HAVE !!!!!!!

Monday, April 17, 2006 10:20 AM

Monday, April 17, 2006 11:11 AM
[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM&00s/c sedans™)]

the trans type doesnt matter , what matters is how you drive the car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you race IT a large accurate tach is the way to go , NO MATTER WHAT TRANS YOU HAVE !!!!!!!

i dont see the point in it except probably the launch but even then the stock tach should be fine. shifting an auto trans isnt good for the car and if you dont shift an auto car then i dont see why an after market tach would be needed

Monday, April 17, 2006 11:19 AM
slap shifting an auto up isnt hard on it, it acuttally increases the line pressure making a firmer shift, if you slam the car down a gear and its an auto you are asking to blow it up

Monday, April 17, 2006 12:03 PM
why is that tach at almost 5500 rpms and it's not doing anything?
LoL

http://www.helpelijah.com
Monday, April 17, 2006 12:20 PM
im going to step in here really quick ... you know some people do circut race... and yes in autos i do it some times. When you go through the turns you might want to note what the rpms are before you get into the turn and after the turn. that way you know how much power you lost throught that turn and you can adjust for the next time. the less power you loose through a turn makes a faster circut car. so maybe they are circut racing ... do we know umm no.

Now who says the stock tach actually works? How do we know if this guy/gal isn't planning on a manuel swap?

ok we dont know certain things about this person ... SO WHAT!!! THEY LIKE IT SO DONT GIVE THEM OR ANY ONE ELSE WHO HAS IT CRAP ABOUT IT! POINTLESS THREAD!!!

Monday, April 17, 2006 6:37 PM
[quote=ßãggéÐÇåv98 (Ûñqùðtäߣè Øñé)][quote=97cavie24ls(JDM&00s/c sedans™)]

i dont see the point in it except probably the launch but even then the stock tach should be fine. shifting an auto trans isnt good for the car and if you dont shift an auto car then i dont see why an after market tach would be needed

well ive been shifting both of my auto's up and down , and never had any problems

and when you manually shift the line pressure does increase , which helps prevent slippage , as well as actually hold the gear better in some gears because more internal parts turn on

its always a wonder how many people dont know crap about cars , but yet spew out answers anyway

Monday, April 17, 2006 9:30 PM
you shift your auto down and it holds, wowsers, i am afraid to do that my car is getting tired

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 4:23 AM
[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM&00s/c sedans™)]
its always a wonder how many people dont know crap about cars , but yet spew out answers anyway

Event wrote:actually and technically it can do damage...

reasons.

1) most people arent perfect, and like stated, unless you have a damaged tranny already you're not gonna be more accurate or faster than the auto tranny is.

2) auto transmissions shift with pressure (some electronically controled). when pressure occurs, temps rise....aka tranmission fluid gets hot. and unless anyone has a temp guage specifically for tranny fluid temp, i can garuntee that many of you are going way over 200 degrees F. 175-195 is the operating range for tranny fluid. any performance or reg transmission place will tell you that, its also in the GM shop manual for these cars... with that being said, every 20 degrees over 195, you half the life of the fluid. and since most people dont do transmission oil and filter changes as they should, it damages transmission. heat is the main killer of auto transmissions.

http://www.niehoff.com/techtips/trans.html

3) clutches and bands. keep in mind if they are stock, its a reason why they are called stock bands and clutches. not made for flooring the car and trying to shift it. for that it would be beneficial to upgrade the bands and clutches to be able to handle more pressure and power. same goes for the torque converter (not needed, but reccomended on the Tq converter)

4) gm made these trannys to maybe tow something light, but when you tow something you arent flooring the engine and racing it as most do.

5) with the possibility over overheating the fluid, which causes oxidation and wears the seals (excessive heat will do this) i doubt many are running tranny coolers nor even know their tranny temps.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=41&i=18686&t=18681#18686
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=41&i=18601&t=18590#18601

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 10:17 AM
i think its more entertaining to watch all of you argue over something pointless i say if you want one get one if you don't then don't its you car car do what you want, asking for advise or a second opinion is not a bad thing, but stop doing things to please other people if you like it and they don't its not your problem

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search