window tinting being a pain - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
window tinting being a pain
Friday, March 24, 2006 11:47 PM
So i went to a shop here in edmoton to get my windows tinted, paid good money instead of doin it myself kuz i wanted good results, and jus my luck the shop that did it did not do greatest job.

on the top of the back window where all the little black dots are it looks like sh!t. it is sticking around some of the dots and kind of bubbling around others. anyone got any suggestions on how to fix?

any advice is apriciated, thanx

Re: window tinting being a pain
Saturday, March 25, 2006 12:09 AM
Take it back and demand that they fix it. Any good shop should back up their work.

Saturday, March 25, 2006 4:14 AM
On the back window from what I have heard it won't ever look that great unless you put a piece of vinyl across the top to hide the bubbles. You can search and find a million topics on it if you want more info. I am getting my windows tinted in like two weeks by a shop, so this makes me kinda worry. What percent tint did you end up going with?

Saturday, March 25, 2006 7:33 AM
Atk2008 wrote: I am getting my windows tinted in like two weeks by a shop, so this makes me kinda worry.

Dude, your in indiana and he is in canada, why are you worried.
They are 2 totally different companies anyway.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=1&i=333805&t=333704#333805
Saturday, March 25, 2006 9:07 AM
Big deal about the black dots. Its so common that it's acceptable now a days. you can't get rid of them.

Ryan1

Saturday, March 25, 2006 9:57 AM
the Shop thats doing mine wont tint the dot matrix.. they just paint it from the inside and then run the tint as high as possible up to the painted area.

Saturday, March 25, 2006 10:09 AM
I second taking it back and demand they do it right (or give you a refund). Any tint shop worth their salt will back up their work (especially since word of mouth is such a strong influence, especially with something like tinting/customizing).. I mean, you're basically a mobile billboard for them. There's a tint shop here in town that I have heard nothing but good things about (lifetime guarantee against scratches, peeling, bubbling, craking and fading) and I plan on going to them this summer. However, when I do, I'm still going to talk to them first about the dot-matrix.. see what options and methods they have to make it look good and stay that way. It's always a good idea to talk to people that are going to be working on your car first and discuss methods and "what-if's" before getting it done.. just keep that in mind for the next time.

My Car Domain Page

Saturday, March 25, 2006 10:41 AM
Juicez99cav wrote:Dude, your in indiana and he is in canada, why are you worried.
They are 2 totally different companies anyway.

All I am saying is that I have heard and seen so much go wrong with window tinting, so I hope mine turns out good. I just don't want the shop to mess it up, thats all.

Saturday, March 25, 2006 1:05 PM
A good tinter will tint over the dot matrix with no problem.

If the shop refuses to make things right, leave. Goto a place that cuts custom vinyl decals. Get something like, "another crappy tint job from ____", in giant letters. Then go park across the street from the tint shop.
Sunday, March 26, 2006 7:01 AM
thoughthardtocomeupwiththis wrote:A good tinter will tint over the dot matrix with no problem.

If the shop refuses to make things right, leave. Goto a place that cuts custom vinyl decals. Get something like, "another crappy tint job from ____", in giant letters. Then go park across the street from the tint shop.

hell you could probably get the vinyl for free from a competitor in the area if you explain why you want it

Sunday, March 26, 2006 8:05 AM
Ah, I've had my windows tinted several times and no local shops (or even NON local shops) that I've went to will tint the dot matrix. They've always put a piece of black vinyl over that part and it has looked great. But it's THEIR responsibility for it to not look like crap if they DID choose to tint over the dot matrix. I'd take it back to the shop and complain and make sure that they fix it (even if they have to put the vinyl over it themselves-- like I said, every tint shop I've ever been to has). If they say that there is nothing that they can do about it, then you suggest the vinyl or that they just retint it UP TO the dot matrix.

And if they refuse, tell them that you're going to tell everyone you know what a crappy job they did on your windows and then that they refused to fix it.

But don't wait around to take it back, do it as soon as possible!

-Crystal

Sunday, March 26, 2006 11:35 PM
anyone got pics of how this vinyl is put over the dot matrix?
Monday, March 27, 2006 6:12 AM

That's the best ones that I could find of my cars at the moment. But I know that this question has been asked many, many times before. Here's an older thread all about the dot matrix. There are pictures everywhere there.

-Crystal

Monday, March 27, 2006 7:29 AM
so is the vinyl on the inside or outside of the window?(it looks like inside of some and outside others)
Monday, March 27, 2006 7:30 AM
thoughthardtocomeupwiththis wrote:A good tinter will tint over the dot matrix with no problem.

Monday, March 27, 2006 1:32 PM
MSD wrote:I second taking it back and demand they do it right (or give you a refund). Any tint shop worth their salt will back up their work (especially since word of mouth is such a strong influence, especially with something like tinting/customizing).. I mean, you're basically a mobile billboard for them. .
I have heard that some places will fill down the dot matrix a little so that it dosnt get that bubble look on top.

Monday, March 27, 2006 3:05 PM
I've heard of it being done both ways (the vinyl on the inside and outside) but I've only had it done on the outside before.

And as for a good tinted being able to tint the dot matrix, well, good luck finding a tinter that will do that and warantee it and it turn out w/no bubbles. I'm definitely not saying that it can't be done, but I don't know of any in West Virginia or most of Virginia that will do it. And I drove about 3-4 hours to the shop that tinted my windows because I had heard about how good they were.

-Crystal

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search