99 Sunfire Guage Cluster - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
99 Sunfire Guage Cluster
Wednesday, September 07, 2005 6:55 AM
Did this year have a digital readout for the odometer. i want to see if i can switch out on my 99 Z24. I know 2K is not going to work but

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Re: 99 Sunfire Guage Cluster
Wednesday, September 07, 2005 7:37 AM
no cause 99 mileage was stored on the cluster itself so if you change youll be creating odometer fraud.

Look Im Premium Now Give Me More Post....
Wednesday, September 07, 2005 7:46 AM
My '99 GT has digital. Might not have been on all the Sunfires, maybe just the GTs but who knows.

Premium as of January 25, 2005. Support the Org.
Wednesday, September 07, 2005 7:47 AM
Cool that is what i am looking for. I will have to try and find a 99 GT dash.

"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 8:07 AM
Did your Z not come with digital or did you just want a different cluster?

Premium as of January 25, 2005. Support the Org.
Wednesday, September 07, 2005 8:13 AM
I have a digital cluster and i was to try something different i have seen some swap sunfire cluster into a Cavalier so i was seeing what i can do. Plus i have a manual most of the clusters i see on ebay are for Auto's

all the time

Thursday, September 08, 2005 7:04 AM
95-99 sunfires and cavaliers have different shaped clusters.

the connections on the back are different too i believe. to put a sunfire cluster in you'll basically have to swap in the whole dash (and door panels) from a sunfire.

and yes 98-99 are digital odometers and with those years the mileage is stored in the cluster itself. so when you put a new cluster in, it will read the mileage from the car it was pulled from.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Thursday, September 08, 2005 7:16 AM
I saw some on here put on one in a 99 Cavalier. They said they had to dremel a bit to get it to fit and although the connnections are not the same the wires are the same for the clusters.

all the time

Thursday, September 08, 2005 9:55 AM
y would you want to youll be creating odometer fraud and your car would be worthless unless you sent it to gm to reprogram it and thats quiet costly.

Thursday, September 08, 2005 10:30 AM
the car i am getting it off has a little more miles than my car. I only have 60K on my 99.

all the time

Thursday, September 08, 2005 10:43 AM
that doesnt not make it fraud

Thursday, September 08, 2005 11:06 AM
Deji, when I put a fire cluster in mine it went right in. Don't know why some are having to trim or having problems with plugging it in. The tach worked straight away, even though my cav cluster didn't have one. It was all plug and play for my 00'.

And if it's a digital odometer, then the mileage is stored in the BCM, and will show up on the new cluster just fine. I hope this helps at all.

Convert 00+ headlights to 95-99
Thursday, September 08, 2005 12:09 PM
^wrong on 99-and 98 models the mileage was stored on the cluster itself. so if he changed it he would retain the miles from the vehicle it came from not his own. thus being a fraud unless he gets it reflashed by gm which will cost a @!#$ load. its not that easy for us 98-99 guys

Thursday, September 08, 2005 12:45 PM
Just to clarify. It isn't fraud to change clusters and end up with incorrect mileage. It only become frauds if the car is sold and the discrepancy isn't declared or if the mileage is falsely represented on an insurance claim.

If you get an different cluster, having the junkyard (or whoever) fill out an invoice with the mileage of the new cluster and keeping your old cluster, should take care of most everything. When I totaled my Neon, I just took my receipt and old cluster to the insurance company to verify the mileage. No problems what-so-ever (even got extra money for lower mileage).
Friday, September 09, 2005 1:20 AM
Mike Brock wrote:Just to clarify. It isn't fraud to change clusters and end up with incorrect mileage. It only become frauds if the car is sold and the discrepancy isn't declared or if the mileage is falsely represented on an insurance claim.

If you get an different cluster, having the junkyard (or whoever) fill out an invoice with the mileage of the new cluster and keeping your old cluster, should take care of most everything. When I totaled my Neon, I just took my receipt and old cluster to the insurance company to verify the mileage. No problems what-so-ever (even got extra money for lower mileage).

THANK YOU! i was gonna say the same thing, since one person kept saying it was fraud over and over again. it's only fraud if you hide the fact that the mileage has been changed.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Friday, September 09, 2005 1:49 AM
^^^ those 2 are right

Friday, September 09, 2005 2:21 AM
I have a '99 with digital & swapped for another when the digital stopped lighting. The mileage is different, but I called the state DOT to get information so it isn't fraud. I found out later that there was a local shop that could do the swap and change the mileage so it read correctly for the mileage on my car, but I already had the swap done & wasn't going to pay to have the work done again. Just keep documentation and you'll be fine.

Friday, September 09, 2005 5:54 AM
Thanks everyone i was not going to bother replying to him, i knew he did not know what he was talking about. There are so many misinformed people on this board and go round pontificating when ever they can giving wrong information. Some people need to get off their high horse. Plus i am not getting rid of my car neither will my wife let me get rid of it. Spent to much time and money on it.

all the time

Friday, September 09, 2005 10:29 AM
hmmm, didn't know that the j-body had a digital odometer where it was still stored in the cluster. Was thinking that maybe some late model 99's had the BCM thus the digital odometer....but thanks for clearing it up.

Convert 00+ headlights to 95-99
Friday, September 09, 2005 12:49 PM
Yes i have done this swap on my 99 cavy, and will be doing the entire dash swap very soon, thansk to some punk ass kids who broke into my car the othe rnight and stole my sterio and tore my cav dash all to @!#$, so now im rolling with no dash, i ripped it all out, and the air bags too.

Anyways, the cluster will not drop into the cav cluster hole, they are different shapes, but you can dremel out the area on boths sides and get it to fit right and be centered in the opening. The harness plug is also different that plugs into the back of the cluster, you will have to get the plug out of the sunfire with about 8-10 inches of wire left on it so that you can splice your old and the new harness, i suggest you get a wiring diagram so you connec tthe wires correctly, alot of them are the same color, and they are in different pipn locations between the cav and fire plugs. Not very difficult, and yes the new cluster will show the milage of the car it came out it.

If you want to complete the look you can also swap in an a/c control head from a sunfire and have the red backlighting.

Heres a pic of mine done, sorry no pics taken during the mod. I always forget to do that.

Mike

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #492. Oh, Its just a stock V6!

1999 Cavalier Coupe, daily driver, 2200/M5. Mods and pics are in my registry.
+
That pretty much says it all.

Support the site that supports your habit, Go Premium.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search