do any of you have an aftermarket oil pressure gau - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
do any of you have an aftermarket oil pressure gau
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 2:41 AM
If any of you have a aftermarket oil pressure gauge on your 2004 Cav. could you please let me know the pressure. I just got mine hooked up yesterday and when it's cold it reads 100 pds. Warmed up and on idle it reads about 75. I believe this is to high. I hreally hope it's not the gauge cause it was a bitch to put this a and 2 other gauges in. Do you think it can be the oil pressure sending unit? The gauge is eletrical. And the volt meter gauge reads exactly 14, I think that's normal. If any of you had this problem, let me know if I can fix it. Thanks

Re: do any of you have an aftermarket oil pressure gau
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 6:38 AM
I have an aftermarket oil pressure guage and mine reads that high at initial startup and I have heard them reading that high after warm up. How did you ground the sending unit assuming you used a remote mounting kit like I did? Mine reads about 40 after warmup. I had to rig a ground setup because I could not think of anything else to do.
The sending unit normally would come right off the block and use the block as the ground. For mine I know this will sound ghetto but I wrapped a piece of wire around the sending unit and put a pipe clamp around the wire and then ran the wire to on of the bolts on the strut tower. It looks bad and I really don't like to use mcguyverness like that but it works. So let me know how you grounded yours.

LIVIN IN THE STIX
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 7:29 AM
On my car, I've got about 75psi when I start it, and it stays up there for about 10 minutes. After it warms up, I get around 35-40psi at idle.

I may not know much about cars, but I know two things....
1) Breaking things is expensive, and
2) Horsepower isn't cheap.
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 7:32 AM
looks like its a comon thing... my oil press does the same... its a mechanical one btw.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 7:36 AM
Chris bruce wrote:If any of you have a aftermarket oil pressure gauge on your 2004 Cav. could you please let me know the pressure. I just got mine hooked up yesterday and when it's cold it reads 100 pds. Warmed up and on idle it reads about 75. I believe this is to high. I hreally hope it's not the gauge cause it was a bitch to put this a and 2 other gauges in. Do you think it can be the oil pressure sending unit? The gauge is eletrical. And the volt meter gauge reads exactly 14, I think that's normal. If any of you had this problem, let me know if I can fix it. Thanks

its normal thats the pressure is higher on cold start.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My Car Specs
Club J-Body Montreal Forums
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 1:25 PM
LT1XLR8 wrote:I have an aftermarket oil pressure guage and mine reads that high at initial startup and I have heard them reading that high after warm up. How did you ground the sending unit assuming you used a remote mounting kit like I did? Mine reads about 40 after warmup. I had to rig a ground setup because I could not think of anything else to do.
The sending unit normally would come right off the block and use the block as the ground. For mine I know this will sound ghetto but I wrapped a piece of wire around the sending unit and put a pipe clamp around the wire and then ran the wire to on of the bolts on the strut tower. It looks bad and I really don't like to use mcguyverness like that but it works. So let me know how you grounded yours.

Where did you get the remote mounting kit?
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 6:40 PM
LT1XLR8 wrote:The sending unit normally would come right off the block and use the block as the ground. For mine I know this will sound ghetto but I wrapped a piece of wire around the sending unit and put a pipe clamp around the wire and then ran the wire to on of the bolts on the strut tower. It looks bad and I really don't like to use mcguyverness like that but it works. So let me know how you grounded yours.

I got my sending unit in the block and I checked with a OHm meter that it is getting grounded by just being screwed in. I don't get the McGuyver approach.

My guage reads 75 when cold and drops to 30-40 when hot.

Jay

One huge aluminum wing - $200
More vinyl graphics than your ride can handle - $150
Decals for products you don’t even have - $10
500lbs of Car Audio equipment in the trunk - $1500
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting slaughtered by a KIA - Priceless
Re: do any of you have an aftermarket oil pressure
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 7:48 PM
GM manual says 75 PSI min at 1000RPM on cold startup and 35-50 PSI at 1000RPM once warmed up.

hope that helps.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Friday, June 17, 2005 7:51 AM
I got the remote mounting kit from autometer.
It seems to me it cost about 12.00
It included line, fitting for the block, fitting for the sending unit.

LIVIN IN THE STIX
Friday, June 17, 2005 3:57 PM
i dont believe its reading too high.... ive heard the eco has very high oil pressure... thats just what i heard anyway

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search