pirelli 190 winter sports - good tire? - Wheel and Tire Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
pirelli 190 winter sports - good tire?
Friday, November 14, 2008 10:33 AM
Anyone had experience with the pirelli 190 ws tires on their cavalier or sunfire? Good or bad let me know what you thought.

Re: pirelli 190 winter sports - good tire?
Friday, November 14, 2008 10:48 AM
I got a new set locally about three weeks ago. I have no complaints with them on dry pavement, except for a couple of highway vibration harmonics at exactly 66 km/h and 97 km/h. I have yet to see snow here yet this season, so I hope they hold their own.

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Friday, November 14, 2008 11:59 AM
i had them on one of mine before, but in a 185/65R15 (tires we free, so i ran them). worked pretty good, but they were in and around 6 years old.... not the best idea ive had, but it was better than running around on performance summer tires. it was also when i was a young(er) college student and had no money to buy proper tires.

as for harmonic vibrations, i had none. geeky, some vibration problems can be solved by a skilled tech and a balancer machine... theres lots of neat little tricks ive picked up to solve vibrations.

right now im running the uniroyal tiger paw ice and snows. in my opinion, one of the best snows you can buy for the money. my girlfriends car is going on the 4th winter with them, and 6 or 7 /32nds on them... lots of tread. she does lots of driving to and from school, so they have seen mileage.

1997 Cavalier Z24
Bomz Short Ram Intake
Vibrant Cat-Back
KYB GR2 Struts
Goldline 1.75" Springs
RK Sport Upper Insert
RK Sport Lower Dogbone
Custom Tune by Shane @
innovativetuning@rogers.com

15.647 @ 88.02 MPH
Friday, November 14, 2008 12:06 PM
whitegoose wrote:as for harmonic vibrations, i had none. geeky, some vibration problems can be solved by a skilled tech and a balancer machine... theres lots of neat little tricks ive picked up to solve vibrations.

I would agree, though I should have clarified -- the vibration I describe is very subtle, high frequency, and isolated to very specific speeds. I believe it's a result of tread noise, and may change as as the tires wear.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 6:33 AM
I found some snow. They are a definitely improvement over all seasons in all conditions. Snow and slush are cleared far better, and traction is more predictable. They didn't save me completely from an icy downhill, but nobody else seemed to be having much better luck. It was a narrow enough escape from a dented bumper, that I think the tires already paid for themselves.

Friday, November 21, 2008 7:39 AM
good to know, thanks
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search