Auto won't shift out of 1st... - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Auto won't shift out of 1st...
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 3:55 PM
Hi guys...

Have a '94 Cav RS w/ 2.2L ; will do P, R, N and 1st, but wont upshift to 2nd...

Fluid looks decent, level good, noleaks or anything, just won't upshift...

Ideas?

Thanks...

Re: Auto won't shift out of 1st...
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 9:09 PM
Is the tranny slipping or just not shifting?

If it's slipping then its the clutches and/or bands. Some times a tranny fluid change can fix this temporarilly, but it would still need a rebuild or replacement.

Either case could be the Throttle Valve(TV) cable. The TV cable is the other cable hooked up to your throttle linkage. The cable could have slipped out of adjustment, come disconnected or streatched out. See haynes or Chiltons for the adjustment proceedure.

It is common for the valve in the valve body to wear out or wear groves in the valve bores over time. Sometimes they develop spurs, that can hang up. (Mine had a very tiny spur on the valve piston, when it got rebuilt, which kept it from shifting. The shop doing the work pulled the valve piston out and polished it w/ emery cloth) If either of these are the case, the piston needs to be replaced and or the bore needs honing and sleaved. If you have that much wear in the valve body, then the clutches and bands are just about as worn out and the tranny should be rebuilt.

Re: Auto won't shift out of 1st...
Thursday, March 23, 2006 8:11 PM
does your speedo work? if not it may be your VSS my 4 speed auto had that problem to i just replced the VSS ( about $20) and fixed it

goodluck

The one, the only, ME.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search