awkward sound, like a rattling of sorts.. - Transmission Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
awkward sound, like a rattling of sorts..
Saturday, September 10, 2005 9:53 PM
i know i wont know the problem until i let a mechanic take a look at it, but i just want to know if anyone here has faced this kind of (minor) problem. my car's a 99z auto, has 75,000miles with new synthetic trans fluid and new oil change and ith a B&M shift+. but b4 all of that when i bought it a month back, as i was driving it when i was picking speed from a stop, after the auto upshifts to around 20-35mph est. i begin to hear a rattle coming from what appears to be behind the engine and/or next to the tranny area. if i speed up over 35mph and the auto upshifts again it'll rattle but not as loud.
after getting a tranny flush and fresh fluid, i thought that was the problem, just needed new fluid, the sound will disappear and the tranny would run smooth. even after installing the B&M shift+, the car drove fun while shifting a bit harder on setting 1. now the rattling came back the othe day. i am not sure as to what it could be. hearing the rattling coming from just behind the engine makes me believe its either with the tranny, possibly exhaust pipe or manifold, engine mount, i dont know. this is where you guys who has had a possible encounter with this in the past. please share your expereience if this was something that happened to u in the past. thanks so much in advance. btw, i get no cels if that also helps.

Having a Z is close enough to having an import.....

Re: awkward sound, like a rattling of sorts..
Sunday, September 11, 2005 4:28 PM
*bump-dee-dump

Monday, September 12, 2005 12:41 PM
im guessing no one on here never experienced something like this for their autos?

Tuesday, September 13, 2005 1:59 PM
*BUMP

*Devil Z*
Wednesday, September 14, 2005 6:13 PM
I have an 00 z, auto with 79,000 on her. I'm having similar problems. But with mine, I hear it go into and out of the gears. The Tranny a sound like a clink sound. I would step on it from a stop, and as it would upshift to 2nd, the RPM's would max out and I would have to release the gas and wait for the RPM's to get to around 3500 to 4000.
But as far as your Z goes, since it upshifts fine, I would have to guess that it would be your downpipe or the header cover. And the B&M Shift+ dose stiffen the tranny.

blkredz24
Thursday, September 15, 2005 11:05 AM
hmm that might be the case, how would i go about this to check it out? take apart the downpipe and see if there's anything clogged or broken? thanks in advance.

*Devil Z*
Thursday, September 15, 2005 8:55 PM
I'll get to you. I'll call a friend of my and let him know what's up. I agree, "Having a Z is close enough to having an import....."

blkredz24
Friday, September 16, 2005 4:38 AM

*Devil Z*
Sunday, October 02, 2005 1:35 PM
I may have the the same problem.
Trans just rebuilt seems ok ,shifts and sounds sweet.
getting new TCC this week to fix stalling
idle set a little high to compensate
get that vibration from same place 50 mph 65mph while gently accelerating . backpressure?? I don't know I'll have it checked this week. i can "drive through" it but it also can stay in the shake zone if i maintain same accelerator pressure. also can do it at 20 to 30 mph.
Saturday, October 15, 2005 2:20 PM
ok im back, this time i had a digi-cam with me to let u guys hear it and if anyone knows what the hell the noise is. it seems to be coming from either the exhaust header or somewhere under the engine or even in the engine. i dont have any CELs goin off but the noise it makes is annoying and people can hear it coming from the car. btw its 99z auto in case ppl dont want to scroll up or into my registry
clicky here
http://s40.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0IY2QH3XGF50B2A6QB3Z2L1C6Y

*Devil Z*
Saturday, October 15, 2005 6:57 PM
*bump

*Devil Z*

Friday, October 21, 2005 5:58 AM
fst_99Z24 wrote:i know i wont know the problem until i let a mechanic take a look at it, but i just want to know if anyone here has faced this kind of (minor) problem. my car's a 99z auto, has 75,000miles with new synthetic trans fluid and new oil change and ith a B&M shift+. but b4 all of that when i bought it a month back, as i was driving it when i was picking speed from a stop, after the auto upshifts to around 20-35mph est. i begin to hear a rattle coming from what appears to be behind the engine and/or next to the tranny area. if i speed up over 35mph and the auto upshifts again it'll rattle but not as loud.
after getting a tranny flush and fresh fluid, i thought that was the problem, just needed new fluid, the sound will disappear and the tranny would run smooth. even after installing the B&M shift+, the car drove fun while shifting a bit harder on setting 1. now the rattling came back the othe day. i am not sure as to what it could be. hearing the rattling coming from just behind the engine makes me believe its either with the tranny, possibly exhaust pipe or manifold, engine mount, i dont know. this is where you guys who has had a possible encounter with this in the past. please share your expereience if this was something that happened to u in the past. thanks so much in advance. btw, i get no cels if that also helps.

btw if i have the b&m shift+ on and drive it'll shift like its suppose to, but the ETS Off light will come on and it'll revert an Open-Loop mode, then the noise arises. im leaning it towards an electronic problem, possibly a wheel speed sensor or wheel hub sensor but where exactly are thse sensors located? i've been patient about waiting for some help. thanks in advance again....

*Devil Z*
Friday, October 21, 2005 7:09 PM
ive never seen someone bump a thread so much in their life.

Friday, October 21, 2005 8:41 PM
will sides blkredz24 helping out, no one replied back with any sort of info. so i'd decided to get noticed, while not being too pushy about it. if i did offend anyone because of this, my apology. im just annoyed that the problem with my car is doin this.

*Devil Z*
Saturday, October 22, 2005 2:48 AM
mine rattles @ 2500 rpm exactly not above or below. I am thinking it needs a rebuild or just needs to be serviced. take it to the tranny place.

Sunday, October 23, 2005 6:53 PM
OMFG! Thats allways happening since i got my car... I EVEN REPLACED THE TRANS! when i'm below 1.6k it rattles when i take off! WHAT THE HECK IS IT???

Monday, October 24, 2005 5:19 AM
from another thread/topic, i understand its the increased in line pressure for the tranny when either you turn on the B&M shifter+ on 1 or 2 or also possible when you're driving in a lower gear other than "D", even w/o the B&M on. i was curious if theres a way to adjust or even change the tubing/pipe of the tranny line to a larger size for more freer flowing. is it possible? also where exactly is the tranny line pressure? my guess is by the noise which seems to be coming from the driver's side lower section b/t the engine compartment and the tranny.

*Devil Z*
Tuesday, October 25, 2005 1:32 PM
Carbon Cavi wrote:ive never seen someone bump a thread so much in their life.

You should see the Honda forumns...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search