Stock 04 2.2l ecotec cavi with turbo - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Stock 04 2.2l ecotec cavi with turbo
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 8:18 AM
I have a turbo kit for my car that I only plan on running 6psi boost. I don't have a fmu nor upgraded fuel injectors or pump.

Do I need to upgrade my fuel stuff to run 6psi boost on the stock 04 cavalier? I am new to this and don't have much mechanical experience myself, my mechanic will be installing it for me, I just wanted to know if there was anything else that I will need. This is the list of parts that I have for the turbo kit and nothing else.

Garrett T3 Turbocharger
Tial External Wastegate
Manifold with wastegate welds
Intercooler
Greddy Type S Blow Off Valve
Charge Pipes (w/custom welds for blow off valve)
Oil Feed Kit
Oil Return Kit
Vacuum Lines
Manifold Gasket
T3 Gasket
Silicon Boots & Clamps
Bolts, Nuts, Washers, & Necessary Hardware

This is suppose to give 60hp gain at 6psi. That is all that I want and need although thats nothing compared to some other cavaliers I have seen online. But my question is, other than the things listed above, do I require anything else at all in order to run this safely on my stock 04 cavalier?

Thansk for the help guys, I appreciate you helping out this noob

Re: Stock 04 2.2l ecotec cavi with turbo
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 9:05 AM
The only thing you will need to run this kit is a downpipe.

It is safer to change injectors with bigger one and upgrading your fuel pump. It will run on stock engine but if you want it more reliable, do the fuel system upgrade.

An intercooler would be great too!
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 9:18 AM
David Tresidder wrote:The only thing you will need to run this kit is a downpipe.

It is safer to change injectors with bigger one and upgrading your fuel pump. It will run on stock engine but if you want it more reliable, do the fuel system upgrade.

do me a favor and do not ever answer a question you do not KNOW the answer too --- if you are going to run ANY amount of boost then you will need to upgrade your fuel system. the stock fuel system was not made for nor can it support any type of boost. I would not even run 4 psi on the stock fuel system i have seen how lean it gets on the wideband before. If you want your car to continue to run upgrade fuel.

if you listen to the guy above then you will get to see what the inside of your block looks like because of the mammoth hole that will be in it.

you will need a minimum of injectors and an fmu -- i would suggest an safc-2 also to help tune

Wednesday, November 16, 2005 9:30 AM
Will your car run without any fuel upgrades? Probably.

Would you like it to run for more than 10 minutes? Probably.

Should you upgrade your fuel system? Without a doubt.

Fuel may seem confusing but if you are going to be happy with 6psi (which you won't, trust me....I'm there now and I want more), it should be fairly easy to take care of your needs. Check out the FAQ's for the most detailed info but as a quick summary I would advise you to look into:
-255lph intank fuel pump-to feed your new injectors.....see Walbro vs. Blazer posts
-Larger injectors(440's make my Eco happy)-to feed your hungry boosted engine
-Accel AFPR(74566)-to get a good idle so you aren't smoking and bogging until you hit boost
-FMU(Vortech, Cartech/Begi) -increases your fuel pressure based on psi of boost
-Wideband o2-(AEM, PLX, many others)- I know the damn things are expensive, but you won't make a better purchase. This will let you know if your fuel mods are in fact enough to save your poor little engine. Good luck!
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 9:40 AM
I will have a SAFC-2, 42lb injectors, and a Walbro inline fuel pump. I think that should be fine for 10psi, correct?

I guess I'll find out! haha

I can't make up my freaking mind!!!!
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 9:58 AM
Quote:

I have a turbo kit for my car that I only plan on running 6psi boost. I don't have a fmu nor upgraded fuel injectors or pump.

Do I need to upgrade my fuel stuff to run 6psi boost on the stock 04 cavalier? I am new to this and don't have much mechanical experience myself, my mechanic will be installing it for me, I just wanted to know if there was anything else that I will need. This is the list of parts that I have for the turbo kit and nothing else.

Garrett T3 Turbocharger
Tial External Wastegate
Manifold with wastegate welds
Intercooler
Greddy Type S Blow Off Valve
Charge Pipes (w/custom welds for blow off valve)
Oil Feed Kit
Oil Return Kit
Vacuum Lines
Manifold Gasket
T3 Gasket
Silicon Boots & Clamps
Bolts, Nuts, Washers, & Necessary Hardware

This is suppose to give 60hp gain at 6psi. That is all that I want and need although thats nothing compared to some other cavaliers I have seen online. But my question is, other than the things listed above, do I require anything else at all in order to run this safely on my stock 04 cavalier?

Thansk for the help guys, I appreciate you helping out this noob

Also... It looks like you got the maximum boost kit... Tell us how it runs!

Thanks!!

I can't make up my freaking mind!!!!
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 12:18 PM
Upgrading the fuel system is just as important as any other part of a boost setup. Whether its 6psi or 20psi - you have to account for fuel (the guys that said this know what they're talking about). Have a wideband at the ready so you can check your a/f and tune your fuel accordingly. Personally, I'll be running 5lbs of boost and I'm keeping my stock injectors but definitely upgrade yours if you plan on increasing boost at some point in the future (I can't think of anyone with a turbo who didn't). You may want to look into some kind of FMU (I hear good things about Cartech's adjustable unit) to adjust your fuel.

Do some searches on here for fuel and timing mods and check the FAQ, there might be something in there.

Blown.
Wednesday, November 16, 2005 8:01 PM
PWWWWWWWWNNNDD!!!

PSICHO wrote:
David Tresidder wrote:The only thing you will need to run this kit is a downpipe.

do me a favor and do not ever answer a question you do not KNOW the answer too --- if you are going to run ANY amount of boost then you will need to upgrade your fuel system. the stock fuel system was not made for nor can it support any type of boost. I would not even run 4 psi on the stock fuel system i have seen how lean it gets on the wideband before. If you want your car to continue to run upgrade fuel.

if you listen to the guy above then you will get to see what the inside of your block looks like because of the mammoth hole that will be in it.

you will need a minimum of injectors and an fmu -- i would suggest an safc-2 also to help tune

15.71 @ 87.9mph 9-17-05
Thursday, November 17, 2005 9:48 AM
Thanks for the info guys I really appreciate it.

blueakron04 would it be possible to give me some direction on where to find these products. Maybe a store name or website where I could order them. Thanks a million
Thursday, November 17, 2005 10:44 AM
This is where I bought the stuff I used, some of it you can find cheaper. I know a lot of places have better prices than Summit, but its right down the road.

FMU-Vortech 4:1 worked for me-Summit Racing
Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator-Accel #74566-Summit Racing
Ford/Bosch Greentop injectors(42lb)-Blue Oval Industries website/Ebay
Wiring harness for injectors- junkyard/mechanic shop(get the injectors first so you can make sure you got the right harness)
PLX 250 Wideband O2 with 2 1/16 Gauge-I think I got this off ebay, they are all over the internet.
SAFC2-Ebay
Walbro 255lph intank pump-autoperformanceengineering.com - there is a post about which pump and install kit to purchase....I bought the "LT1 kit" and it works fine.

I think this is everything. Don't buy the SAFC until you have compared it to Emanage and Megasquirt. Boosted guys are having a lot of luck with the Megasquirt recently.
Good luck!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search