tuning subs - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
tuning subs
Friday, November 05, 2010 3:29 PM
i have 3 JL 10w3v3 subs and according to specs their frequency responce is 28 hZ but i don't think they ever go that low. i have tuned my deck and amp to play all frequencies and my box is built to specs but it seems the lowest they go is about 40 hz. what can i do to adjust them to hit deeper and play lower frequency sounds??

Re: tuning subs
Friday, November 05, 2010 3:34 PM
sealed or ported box?

Get Loud or Die Trying
Friday, November 05, 2010 3:36 PM
sealed box..
Friday, November 05, 2010 3:44 PM
you should be getting a flat responce across the spectrum. what about you amps subsonic. try turning it up

Get Loud or Die Trying
Friday, November 05, 2010 3:46 PM
i have rf t15000 bd and have the subsonic or infrasonic filter turned on. it could be cutting all the lower frequencies so i'll try and turn it off ...
Friday, November 05, 2010 4:10 PM
dont turn it off just raise it up to 3/4 of the way. btw that amp is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to big for your sub, what you need to do is get a DC Audio xl 12

Get Loud or Die Trying
Friday, November 05, 2010 7:49 PM
In a sealed box, you can turn it off without too many worries. But you do lose some power handling.

Friday, November 05, 2010 11:39 PM
d wilkes wrote:dont turn it off just raise it up to 3/4 of the way. btw that amp is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to big for your sub, what you need to do is get a DC Audio xl 12

Why would he buy new equipment? You need to stop giving recommendations in this forum, you sound like a @!#$ retard. Sorry. His amp is too big? No.... an amp that is capable of putting out 50,000 watts is also capable of putting out 50 watts. The amp isn't too big. Can it be turned up too high? Sure... but it's not too big just because it's able to be. Shut the @!#$ up now.

ANYWAY, subsonic filter shouldn't be a major issue like Brad said, in a sealed box. A sealed box is super forgiving in that respect. If the box is built to specs and the amp is tuned correctly, you shouldn't have many issues. What model of the W3v3? 2 ohm or 4 ohm? How you are able to wire the three subs to that amp will be beneficial to know. And as I said, if the amp is tuned by someone who knows what they are doing, having a larger amp is not a problem...

And back to that "amp too big" BS, I am fairly sure he meant T-1500bd not 15000. How is an amp that is capable of 1500 RMS playing to 3 subs that will easily handle 500 RMS each, especially in a sealed box, "too big"? Sounds perfect to me, r-tard.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Saturday, November 06, 2010 7:02 AM
hmmmmm. really? it seams all you know is how to call names like a pocket protector wearing school boy. ive been competeing and winning for 10yrs now. and ive had a few sq setups also. do call someone stupid when you dont know @!#$ about that person. that makes you look stupid

Get Loud or Die Trying
Saturday, November 06, 2010 10:55 AM
Don't look and sound stupid, and I won't call it like I see it? Congrats, you compete in SPL comps. I would love to know the few "Sq setups" you've had. Seriously, enlighten me. This is a passion of mine, a hobby of mine, and even a money making side business of mine. I am beyond passionate about audio, sound quality, and music reproduction and have dealt with higher end branded equipment for a long time. I CAN'T STAND people who don't know, acting like they do. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but I don't give advice without experience to back it. Plain as that. You just came in and told him he needs to change his equipment, when he, in fact, doesn't need to do that at all. He can easily tune what he has to sound great. Why just pop in and drop names of SPL-driven companies when he's trying to tune his great SOUNDING(note, sounding... not just loud) equipment that he already has in his vehicle.

Saturday, November 06, 2010 11:07 AM
dc lvl 3 is a extremly acurrate sub fyi. look im not here to argue w/ you. im here to learn more about my new ride. flame wars are for pussies

Get Loud or Die Trying

Saturday, November 06, 2010 1:08 PM
So are you just a dealer trying to push your product? The OP asks a tuning question and you try selling him something. Im sure if he wanted to buy something he would ask.

Saturday, November 06, 2010 2:14 PM
nah i just know what works for me and trying to share with him

Get Loud or Die Trying
Saturday, November 06, 2010 2:15 PM
and if you read my earlier posts you would know that

Get Loud or Die Trying
Saturday, November 06, 2010 4:08 PM
Cool it works for YOU, what does that have to do with him trying to make what he has work for HIM?

Saturday, November 06, 2010 6:19 PM
tuning a box lower will help. 90% of a good sounding system is the install i.e. speaker placement, encloser, and setting the amp to suit the taste of the driver. look i dont wanna argue. i'm just giving my 2 cents, but trash talking is going to cause nothing more than a tit 4 tat bs fest so lets just agree to disagree. i signed on here to meet people that share the same love for cavaliers

Get Loud or Die Trying
Saturday, November 06, 2010 6:25 PM
Andrey B wrote:i have 3 JL 10w3v3 subs and according to specs their frequency responce is 28 hZ but i don't think they ever go that low. i have tuned my deck and amp to play all frequencies and my box is built to specs but it seems the lowest they go is about 40 hz. what can i do to adjust them to hit deeper and play lower frequency sounds??

How do you know that they don't go below 40? Have you RTA'd it, or played tones, or what?

Saturday, November 06, 2010 6:45 PM
Another thing. Maybe one or two of your subs is out of phase with the others?

Saturday, November 06, 2010 7:28 PM
it's alright now that i turned the filter off.. subs hitting much deeper now...
Saturday, November 06, 2010 9:45 PM
good. glad i could help........wow mr. JL i was right. imagine that a spl guy knew what he was talking about

Get Loud or Die Trying
Saturday, November 06, 2010 9:48 PM
d wilkes wrote:good. glad i could help........wow mr. JL i was right. imagine that a spl guy knew what he was talking about

I don't know what you meant there. But if you're trying to take credit I have to call it. You told him to turn up his subsonic filter, which would make the problem of lacking sub-bass worse.

Saturday, November 06, 2010 9:52 PM
really because it seams that a "SUBSONIC filter" filters out subsonic notes.hmmm does that by chance mean lower notes? well then wouldnt that mean if you turn it up you would let more low notes through?

Get Loud or Die Trying
Saturday, November 06, 2010 9:53 PM
NO

What you're describing is a low pass filter.

A subsonic filter will typically (if adjustable) range from 10-30HZ. When it's at 10, it rolls off the sound below 10. When it's at 30 it rolls off the sound below thirty.

Saturday, November 06, 2010 10:46 PM
So... you were 100% wrong, ass backwards even, and then get cocky about it? Sorry but "Mr. JL" is giggling.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search