iPod interface kit - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
iPod interface kit
Saturday, December 31, 2005 9:25 PM
I just bought an iPod interface kit for my Pioneer deck, and I was just wondering how difficult the install is. I really want to do it myself, but I'm really not too comfortable with electronics, and really uncomfortable about taking my dash off. I want to run the iPod cable to the glove box and there is more than enough cable to do so. How difficult would that be to run it to my glove box, and how would I get the cable inside it? Thanks in advance.

Re: iPod interface kit
Sunday, January 01, 2006 12:00 AM
I did the exact same thing last week. I mounted the box to the roof of the glove box - there was more than enough wire, and it's out of the way. The hardest part of the whole project is taking the dash off, and that's very, very easy to do.

Taking the dash off is pretty simple. A complete step-by-step set of instructions can be found here:
http://www.teamforwardmotion.com/tfmtech/j-body/audio/index.php
Follow the instructions and it's really quite easy and quick to do.

The electronics are simple - one constant 12V wire and 1 ground. I ran the power wire to one of the red constant 12V wires on my stereo harness (I have my switched wire going to a fuse tap at the fuse box, so I had one free), and just ran the ground to the same spot my CD player is grounded to behind the dash.

Good luck! It's really not that difficult. If you have trouble, just let me know and I'll try to help you out.

The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
Sunday, January 01, 2006 7:18 AM
I think I'll try to do it myself, but I don't understand how or where you ran the wire into the glove box, and what did you use to mount the box itself? Thanks.
Sunday, January 01, 2006 11:29 AM
doesnt really matter where you mount it , just throught it behind and uder the Dash!...
connect the red(+)power wire, black wire (-) neg.

GOT ECOTEC?
Sunday, January 01, 2006 12:10 PM
On the top left side of the glove box there's a fairly large hole that leads up under the dash pad in front of the air bag. It should be the same hole you use to access the 2 dash bolts that are recessed into the top of the glove box. With the dash pad off it's very easy to fish the wires up through the hole, which is what I did. I ran the power/ground/CD changer wire behind the CD player (up through the hole in the GB, along the top of the dash, then down behind the CD player). I then ran the ipod dock connector wire up through the same hole and back down beside the glove box (behind the dash), and out under the HVAC controls (I just put my ipod in the storage tray). I used the 2-sided tape to mount the box to the top of the glove box right next to the hole. With the top of the dash off it's really easy to run wires wherever you want, and with the way I did mine there are no wires to be seen.

Hope that helps.

The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
Sunday, January 01, 2006 1:20 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, I'm going to install it later this afternoon. I'm definatly running the iPod to the glove box, and thanks again for the input.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search