12v Power Source in the Garage? Need Info - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
12v Power Source in the Garage? Need Info
Friday, November 11, 2005 11:17 AM
I just finished building a custom garage (pics coming this weekend!) and I want to complete the pimpness by adding some LED tubes behind the walls (the whole garage is pegboard so the light will shine through pretty nice I think).

The problem is that I have no idea what to use for a 12v source. I don't think it would need to be rechargable like a car battery since LEDs draw very little power. The lights would only be on when friends were over, etc.

I have a jump-start box with a cig lighter input in it - I can probably use that, but is there some kind of small battery I could use or some other system I can buy?

Thanks!

Re: 12v Power Source in the Garage? Need Info
Friday, November 11, 2005 11:23 AM
this is what I use http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7556928906&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

._____________________________.
Causa latet vis est notissima

DIY Clear 03+ Headlights

Friday, November 11, 2005 11:26 AM
they sell inverters that are kind of like the opposite of car inverters. instead of taking 12v sources and using them as 120v(like a ps2 in the car) they plug into a wall jack and provide you with a 12v source. i have a few in my shop to bench test amps and ect)

click me! heres one on ebay for 12 bucks plus shipping

Friday, November 11, 2005 11:38 AM
well they sell benchtop converters but if you arent running more than a neon tube you could always go the cheap route and use a computer powersupply.

Friday, November 11, 2005 11:44 AM
Cool - thanks very much for the help. I had no idea this product existed - never really looked until I needed it.

Steve
Friday, November 11, 2005 12:17 PM
I made an LED light set up for my bar in my basement. I just went to radioshack and got a 12 volt convertor for about $15. It was a 1A invertor and works great. You can also get adjustable ones that can change voltages to lighten or dim the LEDs. They're about the same price.
Friday, November 11, 2005 12:31 PM
yeah, you can just get an AC to DC adaptor from RS.

Friday, November 11, 2005 12:46 PM
if you only need a few amps, then a wall plug transformer is fine. I like to have at least 10A avaialble and you don't find that in many wall type transformers

._____________________________.
Causa latet vis est notissima

DIY Clear 03+ Headlights

Friday, November 11, 2005 1:53 PM
schembo2000 wrote:yeah, you can just get an AC to DC adaptor from RS.

Its actually a DC to AC converter.. HHHAAAAAaaaaarrrr !!!

Friday, November 11, 2005 1:53 PM
RedDevil wrote:
schembo2000 wrote:yeah, you can just get an AC to DC adaptor from RS.

Its actually a DC to AC converter.. HHHAAAAAaaaaarrrr !!!

Whoops... Nevermind.

Friday, November 11, 2005 1:55 PM
lol

Saturday, November 12, 2005 7:49 PM
heres an idea... what about picking up one of thise tiny 12V ers for liek a lawnmover, or bike, and if you have a AC charger, just throw that on it once in a while.....

wait for it... wait for it... NOW GO!! ---> '02 LS Sport <---
Yahoo IM : buzz122 AIM : buzz122cav
Saturday, November 12, 2005 10:39 PM
I have my 2.5 year old car battery if you want it. I just upgraded to a Yellow Top, so i have no use for it anymore. It's yours for shipping.

Monday, November 14, 2005 6:09 PM
I would use a pc power supply - then you get 5v and 3.3v outputs for testing LEDs etc.

Monday, November 14, 2005 6:42 PM
I've seen 120v - 12v devices specifically for neon lights in the rice aisles at Meijer.
Monday, November 14, 2005 6:46 PM
thenetdog wrote:I would use a pc power supply - then you get 5v and 3.3v outputs for testing LEDs etc.

what i said from the beginning

Monday, November 14, 2005 7:40 PM
Goto a school, busness, ISP. Ask for broken PC-AT computers (the ISP will know, the school or busness you may have to ask for the IT person) that they are going to throw out. Any thing with a big orange switch on the side is the best option (less wires). Ones with a rocker on the front you will have to remove the switch from the PC as well as the PSU. The yellow wire is 12+ and the black wire is negative. Red wire is 5v+ incase you are intrested.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search