Question to those who Photoshop toon - Image Manipulation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Question to those who Photoshop toon
Friday, August 05, 2005 8:07 AM
Every toon I've been seeing on here is done in Photoshop. Why? I'm refering to all of those i'm seeing where the car is traced first, not the ones that just use filters.

I had asked in another thread, but got no response by the author (not the one i posted in today, another one a few weeks ago). One person told me that Photoshop CS lets you work with vector, which i just can't believe. I even read DJ Teddy's tutorial which is teaching people to use the pen tool to create a path & then stroke the path - that also supports my thoughts that Photoshop CS doesn't support vector. Photoshop is raster, which means that once you stroke that path, there is no way to edit the line that it draws.

Why not use Illustrator? Am I the only one here who thinks it's a HUGE waste of time to do a ton of extra work in Photoshop when Illustrator is ideal for tooning? I have been working as a designer for over 5 years now and discussed this at work with a bunch of other designers & even showed them a few threads with results and instructions. We're all completely stumped as to what the reasoning is with using Photoshop for this.

My guess is that nobody has any experience with Illustrator to know that it could cut the tooning times at least in half if not by 75%. Toons have crisp edges, blocky style color or simple gradients, all of which Illustrator excel at. Since it lets you edit your lines as often as you want, there is no need to get everything 100% perfect the first time. This also allows for many items on the same layer rather than creating a layer for each piece. I read in one of the threads that someone had made over 100 layers, woah! Illustrator also has a smooth tool, so if you aren't good with bezier curves, you can smooth out your rough spots.

I had to kill some time last week at work, so i grabbed a pic of a Subaru very similar to mine. This is what i had about 35 minutes later:

Illustrator just seems to flow so easily for this. Can anyone explain why Photoshop is still the popular choice? More power to those who use it, but damn that must take a lot of time!

Re: Question to those who Photoshop toon
Friday, August 05, 2005 8:36 AM
People just dont have experience in it.

illustrator WOULD be faster and most likely easier. plus you keep your original file and at any time go in and edit ANY part of ANY of the lines.

------------

personally i USE JASC PSP for everything i do.

it supports vector. it also supportsmany many things on one layer (kinda like sub layers)

unless i specifically TELL it to rasterize a layer (which there would be no reason to do for th outlines) you can keep everything vector.

dont worry star. i agree with you

:::Creative Draft Image Manipulation Forum:::
Friday, August 05, 2005 8:53 AM
i agree too. personally i picked up photoshop in a snap. illustrator took awhile. plus it could be that most people don't have illustrator or can't afford to dish out the extra to get it. let them waste all that time though, not your life.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Friday, August 05, 2005 9:02 AM
Nathaniel wrote:People just dont have experience in it.

illustrator WOULD be faster and most likely easier. plus you keep your original file and at any time go in and edit ANY part of ANY of the lines.

------------

personally i USE JASC PSP for everything i do.

it supports vector. it also supportsmany many things on one layer (kinda like sub layers)

unless i specifically TELL it to rasterize a layer (which there would be no reason to do for th outlines) you can keep everything vector.

dont worry star. i agree with you

What is JASC PSP? I've been out of the software loop for about 5 years now, that's one I haven't heard of.

BoltZ22 wrote:i agree too. personally i picked up photoshop in a snap. illustrator took awhile. plus it could be that most people don't have illustrator or can't afford to dish out the extra to get it. let them waste all that time though, not your life.

The thing is, the pen tool in Illustrator works the same as in the pen tool in Photoshop. If you know one, you know the other... so these folks using the pen tool in Photoshop would already have some training. That's what I love about Adobe programs, their tools are so similar they can be picked up so easily if you already know one.

About paying for Illustrator though, do you HONESTLY think that most of the people here have paid for Photoshop? I bet I'm one of the few, I definately took advantage of my student discount when I had one.

And yeah, i have no problem letting people waste their time. It makes me chuckle when i see barely a shell of a beginning and the person says they spent 6 or 7 hours on it. Just wondering if there was a reason for using Photoshop other than just not knowing about Illustrator.

Friday, August 05, 2005 9:51 AM
stargrrrl wrote:
What is JASC PSP? I've been out of the software loop for about 5 years now, that's one I haven't heard of.

They dont make it for the MAC :-p

JASC PSP

for a forum where there are no rules, visit
http://www.emor8t.proboards41.com that is all.
Friday, August 05, 2005 10:20 AM
Oh, Paint Shop. I've heard of it, but never used it.

Friday, August 05, 2005 10:42 AM
any and all work you have ever seen from me, including the design of my forums was all done in PSP

i little while ago they merged with CORELL as a move to try to creep up on the marketplace dominance of ADOBE.

Friday, August 05, 2005 4:13 PM
i totally agree stargrrl!

I was designing some logos for shirts and decided to do a toon of my car for jci. I bought photoshop about a year ago, but still have a demo of illustrator. i tried to do it in both programs and found it easier in illustrator. I was lucky enough to have been taught illustrator in school so i was cool. BTW to the ones who have never used illustrator you can dl a demo version off there site.

Here is the toon i did. Remember this is for a t-shirt so not much detail went into it.

http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/miscellaneous/60612/

Saturday, August 06, 2005 12:33 AM
looks great sac

u should get in on the logo contest on my site. its a logo for CNFX performance and the winner gets $100

Saturday, August 06, 2005 7:53 AM
i (i like nate said) just haven't had time to even look at illustrator... i have photoshop, illsutrator, image ready... tons of stuff....

i looked at illustrator and couldn't quite figure out how to vectorize..... any tut's or hints or anything starrgrl?? i would LOVE some help

Saturday, August 06, 2005 1:36 PM
Looney Tuner wrote:i looked at illustrator and couldn't quite figure out how to vectorize..... any tut's or hints or anything starrgrl?? i would LOVE some help

there is only one other step in illustrator that you do to vectorize. you practically use the pen tool the same way. oh and there arent as many illustrator tutorials as there is photoshop tutorials on the net.

thanks nate! i would enter if i had time.

http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/miscellaneous/60612/

Saturday, August 06, 2005 1:52 PM
I use photoshop because I dont have any other image editing programs on my PC.

And some of the reasons why I will most likely stick with it is because it works for me, I find colouring in it is much easier, and I find the interface is much easier to work with, but most likely because im used to it

Also, I havent really seen a "god like" toon done in Illustrator lol

heres a couple of pieces from my favorite toon artist (dangeruss), he uses photoshop.

(56k death)

http://www.deviantart.com/view/14746967/

http://www.deviantart.com/view/17843240/

http://www.deviantart.com/view/17580774/

I find his work to be absolutley amazing

Sunday, August 07, 2005 9:02 PM
Holy @!#$ that bike most have taken forever. He is my new hero.

Sunday, August 07, 2005 9:47 PM
DEF i cant even imagine how many hours has to go into something like that. its amazing

Sunday, August 07, 2005 10:05 PM
Would any1 on here be nice enough to send me illustrator lol
kriskarkoski@gmail.com

Sunday, August 07, 2005 10:11 PM
http://creativedraft.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=655

the trial is in this list of all adobe try outs that i compiled

Sunday, August 07, 2005 10:45 PM
Nathaniel wrote:DEF i cant even imagine how many hours has to go into something like that. its amazing

if you scroll down he has spent about 40-50 hours on it. He is amazing

Sunday, August 07, 2005 10:52 PM
Sunday, August 07, 2005 11:52 PM
holy cow... his work is incredible!!!

Monday, August 08, 2005 1:30 AM
40-50 hours? no thank you

but more power to him lol

Adobe Photoshop - Adobe Image Ready
Monday, August 08, 2005 10:59 AM
i wonder if that guy does his toons for free when people ask him to do one for them??

Check out my website with more "CarToonZ" @ http://beachdesign1.com

Monday, August 08, 2005 6:25 PM
LMAO I set the bike as my background.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005 12:53 AM
Beach wrote:i wonder if that guy does his toons for free when people ask him to do one for them??

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search