Foam-filling the frame...How hard? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Foam-filling the frame...How hard?
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 8:53 PM
i don't know if anyone has thought of this, i didn't bother searching or even try and figure out where this post could go, but would it be possible to foam fill the frame? I mean it is tubular in certain area's, and the only thing i can can think of to get the foam in there is to use a two-part mixture foam sealer (liquid then expands), i may just be talking out of my butt,, (that's what 5 years of being in the Marine Corps will do to you, especially when you deploy a few times to certain countries) anyway would anyone on here think this would be possible. thanks for any responses. Semper Fi!

Re: Foam-filling the frame...How hard?
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 9:39 PM
I saw some guys do it on Street Tuner Challenge (I think it was that show anyway) to a Volkswagen (Again, I think). I don't know what 2-Door Cav's and Fire's are like, but on my 4-Door, this could be done in the rocker panels and the support where the rear doors are hinged. Anywhere else I'm not sure.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 9:42 PM
ask dave, he did it, and said there was major sound reduction.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Tuesday, January 17, 2006 10:52 PM
I did it to the front frame rails... easy as pie. Stick tube in, spray. Makes a hella mess when it comes out all over the place tho. There's quite a few holes I didn't know about.

I haven't done the rear... but there's lots of access holes from underneath.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 6:51 AM
Wednesday, January 18, 2006 7:19 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but I've never heard of this. Are there any other benefits besides noise reduction, and roughly what kind of wieght does it add (not much I'm guessing)?

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Wednesday, January 18, 2006 7:35 AM
http://sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0006scc_proj300zx/... read this article. they used a product specifically made for this application. here's the link for that:

http://www.foamseal.com/auto_aftermarket.htm. it's about $200 for enough to complete one car.

the major benefit is strengthening the chassis, but on a j-body i could imagine that it would help with noise reduction as well. i've been wanting to do this for a while now, but i have never been able to justify the price and amount of time it takes to do, considering how little i drive my car

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 7:38 AM
Juicez99cav wrote:listening..........

X2

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 12:27 PM
Very cool! I'll have to do some more reading on this, lord knows our cars could use some stiffening and noise reduction.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 12:49 PM
hey i appreciate the comments, i thought alot of jbody owners have done this, and with that the guys who have done this could you tell exactly what and where i need to make holes to inject the foam, and if at all possible provide some pictures if not that's ok. The only reason i brought this topic up was looking at the new ford F-150's, they have foam filled frames to make the ride quiter, so i thought it could be brought forth and applied to our current J-bodies. thanks guys keep in the info coming
Wednesday, January 18, 2006 1:37 PM
Come on Lenko, you have to have pictures on this!

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 2:58 PM
Believe it or not, I don't. That's gotta be one of the few mods I DON'T have pics of.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 4:13 PM
any potential moisture issues with doing that?

14.82 @ 97 mph
Wednesday, January 18, 2006 5:37 PM
As long as the foam is non hygroscopic it shouldn't be an issue, and since it is closed cell I bet it is. Start with a relatively dry car and it should be okay....

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 9:13 PM
What type of weight gain would you see from adding all the foam? This is something I have only seen done but have always wondered about.

Proud member of JBOK (J-bodies of Kentucky)

Thursday, January 19, 2006 5:09 AM
Good question, What about moisture? Any rust issues?

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 7:46 AM
Weigh the spraycans if you are that worried about the weight. The stuff expands like crazy, I couldn't see using more than 6 cans per car, for every nook and cranny, so at most maybe 5 pounds of weight gain.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 8:01 AM
edwardsmr2002 wrote:Weigh the spraycans if you are that worried about the weight. The stuff expands like crazy, I couldn't see using more than 6 cans per car, for every nook and cranny, so at most maybe 5 pounds of weight gain.

I agree the weight gain should be minimal, but I'm very interested in the chassis stiffening and noise reduction benefits of this! If anyone has any pics, or will be doing this soon and could take pics that would be great. I'll be looking into this more closely when the snow melts.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 8:01 AM
could you use the expanding foam in a can you buy at wal mart or advance auto parts?

I Drank 750 Bottles Of Mountain Dew For A XBOX 360.... AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID HAT.
Thursday, January 19, 2006 9:03 AM
from what i read on that article that was posted by Brown eye, it seems very feasable if you use the right stuff and for $183 total for 5 cans, it's a worth while investment, it's just a matter of finding the time to take everything out of the inside of the car stagging it and then doing the foam injection, but all in all it's a very good performance mod. cause being out in cali all the roads out here suck, potholes and cracks. keep the comments coming, appreciate it all.
Thursday, January 19, 2006 9:10 AM
can we make a list of all the benefits?

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, January 19, 2006 9:42 AM
i was thinking about using great stuff would that work?

I Drank 750 Bottles Of Mountain Dew For A XBOX 360.... AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID HAT.
Thursday, January 19, 2006 9:58 AM
Dark Drake wrote:i was thinking about using great stuff would that work?

That cheap crap foam may fill your frame with foam, but won't provide the chassis stiffening and noise reduction benefits that you're looking for, so what's the point. If you read the article linked above, it says "DON'T CHEAP OUT ON THE FOAM".

Thursday, January 19, 2006 1:21 PM
ScreamSayonara wrote:I saw some guys do it on Street Tuner Challenge (I think it was that show anyway) to a Volkswagen (Again, I think). I don't know what 2-Door Cav's and Fire's are like, but on my 4-Door, this could be done in the rocker panels and the support where the rear doors are hinged. Anywhere else I'm not sure.

it was the skyline they did it to , and it was for the added rigidity

im not sure if they did the VW or not if they did it was for sound reasons

Thursday, January 19, 2006 1:35 PM
I've done it only inside the cab, on both my Cav (a long time ago) and my Sunfire (recently). Along with dynamat on the entire floorboard it reduced road noise levels immensely. It did also stiffen the cab just a tad. Its not spectacular, but the car feels just a bit better in corners and on rough roads.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search