Brakes Bang when I stop - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Brakes Bang when I stop
Wednesday, September 14, 2005 8:21 PM
When I come to a stop the rear passenger side seems to be held down (like the E-brake is on when you try to drive forward) until I let off the brake and start to go... then it seems to release, the car then lifts back to normal and it make a loud bang like someone hit it with something. Does anyone know what I am talking abut or what could be causeing this? Thanks, Rob

Re: Brakes Bang when I stop
Wednesday, September 14, 2005 8:25 PM
wheel cylinder possibly?

Wednesday, September 14, 2005 8:34 PM
Yep sticky brake drum. Try lots of brake clearner first. If that doesn't fix it, you may need a new cylinder. Both are fairly cheap, $5 for brake cleaner, $15 for a cylinder (at the most on both).

Wednesday, September 14, 2005 8:47 PM
cool thanks for the help.
Thursday, September 15, 2005 1:19 PM
mines doing the same thing but when i push down on the brake pedal my left side back wheel seems to lock up... then when i come to a complete stop its locks and skids (when slowly stopping) then when i release the pedal it seems to raise.. is this the same thing?

Look Im Premium Now Give Me More Post....
Thursday, September 15, 2005 1:23 PM
actually from my experiance it could just be brake dust build up. It can get caught between the drum and shoe and cause it to stick. Happens all the time... try taking the drum off and clean out the dust first.

Thursday, September 15, 2005 8:12 PM
Yeah. With drums the frist step in solving any problem is "take off the drum, hose with brake cleaner".

Thursday, September 15, 2005 8:54 PM
mine doesnt lock up, just seems to pull the car down at that wheel. ill try to pull the drum off and let you know what happens.

Saturday, September 17, 2005 6:16 PM
...watching....

Sunday, September 18, 2005 10:33 AM
Sorry I just got back from penn state. Went to the game against central michigan. We won 40-3. Go penn state!!! I should be taking off the drum tonight but if not it will have to wait till wed. But ill definately keep you posted.

Sunday, September 18, 2005 12:10 PM
ok...just an update. I took off the brakes and cleaned them up with a can of brake cleaner and an air compressor. When I took it for a drive it seemed to be fine. It didnt have any of the symptoms it used to. I did find out however that I need new brakes:-(

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search