Trying to decide on a brake setup... - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Trying to decide on a brake setup...
Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:07 AM
Well it's going to be time to replace the stock oem brakes (front) on my car... and I figured why not throw on some new rotors are the same time... but I am torn on what to do for rotors.... I have decided to go with Hawk HPS pads.... but when I dig into rotors and the many posts on this site about rotors... I have yet to find a definitive answer.... This set up will be for my daily driver so I do not need anything crazy agressive i'm just looking to improve on the OEM's.....

From what I have read I have narrowed it down to either Baer or Brembo.... any tips on what I should be looking for??? I see that brembo makes a stock (non drilled/slotted) rotor.... and I've heard that the drilled/slotted rotors might have cracking issues.... any help would be appreciated!!

Re: Trying to decide on a brake setup...
Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:29 AM
I had ebay drilled/slotted rotors with hawk pads on my 89' Grand Prix and never had a problem. It was also a good improvement over OEM.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:38 AM
ya thats the other thing.... there's 100's of rotors on ebay... but I'm not sure if I should go with a "no name" or a set up like baer or brembo..
Tuesday, March 18, 2008 1:08 PM
I dunno, I just ordered Hawk pads and Powerslot rotors. I'm waiting for the pads but I'll install and report back.

Anyone else go through Gravana? I am shocked at how much they want for shipping... $20+ for pads and $60 for pads+rotors... Yeah OK

Dan Trump

2004 Cavalier LS Sport - Victory Red
Tuesday, March 18, 2008 1:24 PM
i bought my brakes through TTR. I had the hawk pads and powerslots. this season im going to try the new ones karo has for sale.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 1:31 PM
that's not that bad for shipping... the brembo set up on tirerack.com they want $120 to ship to canada.....
Tuesday, March 18, 2008 2:34 PM
yeah i just got my brakes from tire rack yesturday. Brembo blank rotors, hawk hps pads, and goodridge lines...i should be putting them on tomorrow and ill let ya know how they are.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 3:44 PM
perfect thanks!!!... i'll most likely be swapping to ss lines as well
Tuesday, March 18, 2008 5:15 PM
ok I have narrowed it down to 3 in no particular order..

Power Slot Slotted Rotors

Brembo Front Cross Drilled Sport Rotor

Baer Drilled/Slotted Decela Rotors
Wednesday, March 19, 2008 12:58 AM
i have powerslots and hawk hps pads, very nice combo IMO but ive only driven maybe 200km on them...

------
Wednesday, March 19, 2008 6:59 AM
I had powerslots and hawk Hps pads. Now I have Hawk pads and Baer Decela Rotors and the Powerslot/Hawk combo was much better in my opinion.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 7:28 AM
I have bear decla drilled and slotted and hawk pads. nice stopping force but. they wear in unevenly.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 8:22 AM
McManus wrote:that's not that bad for shipping... the brembo set up on tirerack.com they want $120 to ship to canada.....

I got the rotors shipped from Summit for $12...

Dan Trump

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 9:43 AM
nice... to bad everyone super inflats the cost to ship to canada....
Wednesday, March 19, 2008 7:52 PM
well heres how it goes, Brembo blanks + Hawk HPS pads + goodridge SS brakelines = OMG....well worth the money I paid, I am super happy with the way these brakes feel and stop. My car has no ABS and the car feels amazing when braking. I highly recommend these.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 11:08 PM
I decided to go with the hawk hps's with powerslots.... cannot wait for them to arrive =)... then i'll have to wait for it to be clear of snow before I decide to put on my summers.. that's when i'll do the brake's... unless I get impatient which is more then likely the more likely outcome
Thursday, March 20, 2008 5:55 AM
Sounds like a good choice. I got my rotors in last week, just waiting the pads.

Dan Trump

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search