Hands down....the best wheel bearing brand?? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hands down....the best wheel bearing brand??
Sunday, March 02, 2008 4:48 PM
What brand of wheel bearing should I look into or are they all pretty much the same. I am planning to buy them both, but I just want to see everyone's opinion on which brand to get.

I've done some searching and have seen Timken come up but I have also seen other people say the "no name" brands are just as worthy.

Settle this debate for me---I am by no means a newb and I did search, I'm just finding conflicting info. I don't really feel like tearing into this and it being all for nothing in 3K miles.

Re: Hands down....the best wheel bearing brand??
Sunday, March 02, 2008 5:00 PM
The negative camber combined with high cornering loads seems to do my wheel bearings in quite often-- especially after a lot of autocrossing. Outside of OEM hub assemblies, I have had the best luck with the cheap ones from Advance. I have also found that they last longer for me when I leave the rear seal out that comes packaged with them.

Sunday, March 02, 2008 6:19 PM
Timkens are hit and miss....I have had really good ones and really bad ones. Just FYI
Monday, March 03, 2008 4:44 AM
VanquisherOfTheVariance (Zach) wrote:The negative camber combined with high cornering loads seems to do my wheel bearings in quite often-- especially after a lot of autocrossing. Outside of OEM hub assemblies, I have had the best luck with the cheap ones from Advance. I have also found that they last longer for me when I leave the rear seal out that comes packaged with them.

I'm not lowered or anything--the only suspension mods I have are a strut tower brace, control arm bushings and sway bar end link bushings. I'm kind of wondering if switching between my stock size 16" rims and my winter 14"steelies might have thrown things off a bit.

I'm going to go to an alignment shop probably this weekend and see what happens. Regardless, I definitely have a bad bearing.

I called my local auto parts stores and it seems that the cheap no name brands mostly come with a 1 year warranty on them, so maybe I will give them a shot.

And my best bet is to leave the rear seal out then?

Monday, March 03, 2008 8:41 AM
National is a good brand

Monday, March 03, 2008 8:42 AM
I agree with Zach. Although my car never had any seals (2nd gen), so I never had to use it anyways. I've burned up more bearings than I can count. The last one completely seperated and the only thing holding the wheel/tire on was the caliper. The ones from Advance come with the 1 year warranty, and I normally keep the bad one I took off so I can get a free new one within the year and keep it for a spare. Going from a 16" to a 14" wheel wouldn't really have an effect on the bearing, its more the loads placed on it.

Monday, March 03, 2008 9:02 AM
I bought timken put them on at about 75k, car has over 105 now never had an issue

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Monday, March 03, 2008 6:47 PM
best ones IMO are OEM ones from the wrecker i just look for the ones from low mile cars
Tuesday, March 04, 2008 2:01 PM
Can't go wrong with OEM. Good low mileage used or GM / ACDelco new replacement.

I bought a used front hub/wheel bearing assy from Nordstrom's with 5 miles on it.

Worked great.

Stuff For Sale - Classified Ads - Click Here!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search