caliper slides - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
caliper slides
Wednesday, February 27, 2008 9:23 PM
When is someone going to make better caliper slide bushings and slides. poly or delrin or bronze something. these rubber bushings are too soft . like this. http://www.tyrolsport.com/index.php?p=product&id=124&parent=64

see ya!

Re: caliper slides
Thursday, February 28, 2008 1:43 PM
I've never really had a problem with the stock ones...But I keep mine greesed

Thursday, February 28, 2008 1:49 PM
omg. why?

you can buy new caliper bushings, usually the old ones get soft but I highly doubt the cost vs performance is enough to justify buying them for your AutoX cavalier.

Maybe on an F1 or Nascar, cavalier.. I dont think so..

------------------------------------------------------------

Thursday, February 28, 2008 2:20 PM
cavmania wrote:omg. why?

you can buy new caliper bushings, usually the old ones get soft but I highly doubt the cost vs performance is enough to justify buying them for your AutoX cavalier.

Maybe on an F1 or Nascar, cavalier.. I dont think so..
they do get soft and hell they are soft from the start. that is the reason the have been developed for those cars. caliper flex on our cars is down right silly even with lines and good fluid i still want a firmer solid pedal. and what happens to rubber when it gets hot? ding ding it gets softer. so yes i think it would be a good upgrade for the autox peeps and track day guys as well as the guys that want to get that refined feel and does not want to go to bit horse power robbing brakes.

see ya!

Thursday, February 28, 2008 3:23 PM
I'll stick to wilwoods

Thursday, February 28, 2008 4:10 PM
Thursday, February 28, 2008 4:16 PM
here are some reviews. from here! http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/74

Dr Obnxs
6th Gear

Posts: 7780 Review Date: 2/27/2005 Would you recommend the product? Yes | Price you paid?: $119.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Easy Instal, Low Price, Excellent Performance
Cons: No dust boot, so you have to re-lube them every now and then.

I got these from TyrolSports lat Feb 2005 and they arrived in about two days. Installation was pretty easy, I did it in an evening after work. The brake feel is both more firm and more controlable. Make sure you use enough high temp lube on the pins, I didn\'t an had to re-lube one. No big deal, takes only a few minutes. Totally my fault!

Anyway, this is one of those not so flashy, no power adders that everyone should do! Even if you have a BBK in front, you can add these to the rear calipers.

Matt

gnatster
6th Gear

Posts: 1896 Review Date: 11/10/2007 Would you recommend the product? Yes | Price you paid?: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Easy Install. increases feel
Cons: Need to be lubed

I have these on the rear only since I use a BBK for the front. Install was straightforward. Brake feel is increased making it that much easier to modulate the pedal with confidence. The only drawback is they do require some maintenance. The bushings should be lubed at least once a year, more under hard usage such as track days. I lube mine with every rear pad change.

Overall I recommend this product.

see ya!

Friday, February 29, 2008 9:16 AM
I've seen alot of products, but this is something I've never even heard of before.

Personally, I've never had any problems with any of the stock bushings I've ever had (J car, H car, Neons). How long are you using the same calipers? Mine only ever see maybe 10k miles (mostly less) before they get swapped. Are your pads wearing strange? I have occasionally gotten tapered wear, but nothing to be concerned about. I really don't think you would ever see brake temps high enough to be concerned about bushing degredation during an autocross. Track day, maybe.

I can see the benefit from this type of thing, but I think it could be done alot cheaper than $120 by using stuff available at the local hardware store. The worst I can see is having to have the brass machined for the retaining clip. You could even drill and tap a hole in the caliper for a retaining set screw instead of using retaining clips. Standard slide bolts could be used if you found the right size brass bushings.

Friday, February 29, 2008 3:31 PM
James Cahill wrote:I've seen alot of products, but this is something I've never even heard of before.

Personally, I've never had any problems with any of the stock bushings I've ever had (J car, H car, Neons). How long are you using the same calipers? Mine only ever see maybe 10k miles (mostly less) before they get swapped. Are your pads wearing strange? I have occasionally gotten tapered wear, but nothing to be concerned about. I really don't think you would ever see brake temps high enough to be concerned about bushing degredation during an autocross. Track day, maybe.

I can see the benefit from this type of thing, but I think it could be done alot cheaper than $120 by using stuff available at the local hardware store. The worst I can see is having to have the brass machined for the retaining clip. You could even drill and tap a hole in the caliper for a retaining set screw instead of using retaining clips. Standard slide bolts could be used if you found the right size brass bushings.
i get caliper slide bushings at autozone cheap. as far as heat i can over heat my pads near the end of a run depending on the course layout. the pedal is just not working when i hit the first turn it requires more pressure and then when i am using the brakes that hard i blow corners. i have no problem with pad wear.

see ya!

Saturday, March 01, 2008 8:31 AM
meh....gimmicks. In my best impression of Jamie from Mythbusters: "The concept/need behind the design is plausible but unlikely to be realistically required......I call this BUSTED"

I'm 100% sure that this would be $119.00 better spent somewhere else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, March 01, 2008 8:31 AM
Saturday, March 01, 2008 9:48 AM
you know what though give it a year or so to settle in. the same thing with the GA control arms. i was working at a gmspo and i seen that they seem to be the same size but i didn't know what car they went to at the time. search it aluminum control arms around 04-05

see ya!

Sunday, March 02, 2008 9:58 AM
^been done and got them already...lol......but those have a obvious functional benefit(and did it for less than $60.00). These slides lack most all obvious benefit....this seems more for the lazy people who dont keep up on their maintenance to replace calipers or even just rubber insulators when they get old.

gimmicks!!!
Sunday, March 02, 2008 11:29 AM
i see i am a bit over everyones head on this. i guess i have to make my own!

see ya!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search