RK FULL COILOVER SETUP - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
RK FULL COILOVER SETUP
Wednesday, May 17, 2006 3:28 PM
one of my struts on my setup is starting to leak a bit and was wondering if anyone knew if we can just use other struts to replace it, i was planning on koni yellows but just wanted to make sure it was actually possible

Re: RK FULL COILOVER SETUP
Wednesday, May 17, 2006 6:04 PM
no way.... those struts are designed to handle that spring rate.....

pro street coilovers come with a threaded body...... hence you would need another strut with a threaded body. koni yellows do not have this....

call rksport and speak on warranty or rebuilds.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 8:16 PM
if you get rid of it, can i have the adjustable red nuts or the adjustable rings is what im talking about? my fronts are siezed up amd i wouldnt mind if they were adjustable.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 11:11 AM
well, i called rk sport and they no longer carry this product cause the manufacturer discontinued the product and due to that they cant even warranty/rebuild it for me

who else makes a full coilover setup cause i want to be slammed like my car is already

Thursday, May 18, 2006 11:57 AM
LAFNGAS wrote:well, i called rk sport and they no longer carry this product cause the manufacturer discontinued the product and due to that they cant even warranty/rebuild it for me

who else makes a full coilover setup cause i want to be slammed like my car is already

realistically no one is gonna spend time on a product and sell it for 1000+ $ and design it to have the car rode around on slammed...

if you want to ride slammed, buy something cheap and be done with it. paying over 1000$, just to slam it, ride around on it and IT WILL BLOW AGAIN, cause suspension isnt designed to be rode on like that. its no secret really.

top of the line suspension is made to handle, not to be abused. might be better off keeping it like it is....

if you wanna shell cash....

tein makes stuff
gravana makes stuff
mantapart makes stuff...

but if its slammed and has no travel, its gonna blow.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 12:33 PM
Slamming a coilver kit isnt going to destroy them. If they are made for a 0-whatever drop, thats what they are rated for. why buy a coilver kit if you arent go t use the height adjustability...thats what they are for. You might as well jsut buy springs now, if you pair the wrong strut with the wrong spring..yes...they will blow.. take for instance AGX'S with coilovers...not good.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 1:56 PM
unoath wrote:Slamming a coilver kit isnt going to destroy them. If they are made for a 0-whatever drop, thats what they are rated for. why buy a coilver kit if you arent go t use the height adjustability...thats what they are for. You might as well jsut buy springs now, if you pair the wrong strut with the wrong spring..yes...they will blow.. take for instance AGX'S with coilovers...not good.

INCORRECT.

take some time and read any of the warranty issues on any coilover... or to make it easy, i have already posted all this numerous times in the FAQ at the top. most people on here never take the time to read anything much less know limitations on products, but then are quick to blame parts companies when things go wrong.

they are made for 0-whatever drop, however it states usually in BOLD on the papers, DO NOT DRIVE AROUND FOR EXTENDED PERIODS AT THE LOWEST SETTINGS....

on page three of the tein papers right in front of me, on the INSTALLATION OF THE SHOCK ABSORBER section it states:

Lowering the Vehing with the lower spring seat at the lowest settings may result in damage.

any strut, is designed to move through a certain range of motion as well as handle a certain spring rate... limitation in 1 or both will cause damage of the strut.

for references, in the past 7 years of being here, i've called:

Koni
Eibach
Mantapart
B+G
Tein
K&W when they had their setup to be released, and all state the same thing.

half the kits out there, aka the crap ones many of your buy, arent even made for your car in specific hence the reason they come with adapters for every cars brand...

being that I was probably the last person to get their RK SPORT full coilover kit, which are made by B+G, replaced...

i placed quite a few calls to rksport, b+G located in cali, and to the heads in sweeden and talked to em about the most common reason the design failed....

which is why, the new design has adjustability of the strut, INDEPENDANT to ride heigh adjustability. LOWERING OF THE CAR..... WITHOUT SACRIFICING TRAVEL.

coilovers are technically and literally made to allow someone who is serious to corner balance their car for performance. not all sides are gonna be even, the same as the car with driver isnt evenly distributed.

thats the reason for coilovers, if you didnt know.

its a side advantage of being able to lower a car for show, but thats not the main reason, nor the reason, top end designers such as the ones listed above produce them. the crap bought on ebay for 50$.... well you buy crap, you get what you pay for.

do a bit more reading on suspension, trust me.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 2:15 PM
and to add to this, heres the link from the mantapart site.... http://mantapart.com/95upcav.html?168,44

Quote:

OP 1201KC Full Coil-Over Sports Struts: Our same race-proven engineered gas pressure strut but with a full height adjustable spring perch for more competition applications. Allows lowering of about 4" from stock ride height and comes complete with 4 small diameter coil-over springs and upper seats, in your choice of rates to suit your driving application- inquire for tech help. Not recommended for prolonged street driving at lowest setting- good for shows, autocross, time trials, drag racing, etc.

also the part from eibachs FAQ:

Quote:

Some competitorī spring kits claim to lower my vehicle more than the Eibach kits... isnīt this better? If the vehicle is lower, wonīt it handle more like a racecar?
A spring kit that lowers the vehicle excessively will be operating with little or no suspension travel, resulting in an uncomfortable ride and unsafe handling. The vehicle may skip over bumps and road transitions, causing the tires to loose contact (adhesion/traction) with the road surface. A race prepared vehicle has a chassis and suspension designed for use solely on racetracks. The requirements for an everyday, street-driven vehicle that encounters potholes, expansion joints, weathered tarmac etc. are completely different. Eibach spring kits lower the vehicle center of gravity properly while maintaining adequate suspension travel to meet the demands of the enthusiasts. Trust into the experienced Eibach engineers who have always tried to design the ultimate sportive suspension. They also have to dissuade from irresponsible extreme lowered set-ups, where the vehicle is riding mostly on the bump stops. This is dangerous and in most countries illegal!

and theres an email from koni and the use of their shock absorbers on page 3 or 4 of the FAQ sticky thing at the top as stated.... if anyone hasnt read it as of yet.

now granted, anyone can do whatever the hell they want, however i am simply posting the info for you to think about is it gonna be another 1000$ wasted money for a short period of time, or do i just not care and do it n-e-waz...

Thursday, May 18, 2006 2:24 PM
event, thanks for your help and info on this

which setup would you suggest, i dont want springs/struts preferably as i am already lower then the sportline setup for sure............

thanks for your help

Friday, May 19, 2006 8:47 AM
all cool.

well price range wise, if you can spare about 1400$ max....

i;d say tein super streets, or gravanas.... personally i;d lean towards the teins for two reasons....

plug and play, and in stock reccomended height, its pretty low....
both also have damping adjustability.
the gravanas have the dual height adjustment...

but the teins come with camber plates already installed. and the option of edfc which means you can control how stiff or soft from inside the car...

next step down... tein basics...

most of the same effects of the superstreets, minus the damping adjustment and edfc part.

next down would be to find someone with another set of rksports....but then again, if you are like me, you want some sort of company support if something DOES go wrong.

in all honesty, the tein superstreets are shortened struts.... and the gravanas are dual height adjustable. that way you can accomplish being low, yet still have the right amount of travel needed.

Friday, May 19, 2006 8:57 AM
Funky Bottoms I didnt mean to make a conflict or anything its just such a contro subject, some people get away with it others dont. But thanks for the write up on it, good to know.

The tein Basics are GREAT. i have them. Obviously i cant compare to the SS because i never owned them, but the basics are all i could ask for!!

Friday, May 19, 2006 9:06 AM
dude, when i write long posts, dont get offended or take it personally....

many people do, and really, theres no need to. i'm not doing it to be like "yea yea, in yo fayyyyce!" .... its just there to try and dispell some myths and get the info out.

teins quality all around, from what i have and am still learning, is top notch. theres comp with other companies like JIC and such, but since they dont make for j's, i cant really compare those in the mix, but the most any of the tein products are one of the top runners for this community... hands down

Friday, May 19, 2006 5:53 PM
so between gravanas and tein who would you go with?

what mods would the gravanas need if they arent a total bolt on?

i wouldnt need adjustability in the cab, i wanna set them up and leave them be again

Friday, May 19, 2006 7:34 PM
I would go with the teins for one the install is a snap, and two it seems alot of ppl are having issues with the gravanas (see gravana troubleshooting thread)

Friday, May 19, 2006 7:41 PM
I'd go with the Tein SS's, they are slightly cheaper than the Gravana's plus the fact that I haven't seen very many "Troubleshooting" topics for them. Just my $0.02 Scott.

Friday, May 19, 2006 9:24 PM
So can i have the nuts off your blown ones?

Saturday, May 20, 2006 8:34 AM
I still say the tein basics...they are what the title says. A nice quality basic coilover kit. Unless you are big on adjustability get the basics the ss dont provide anymore of a drop...you will save yourself about 400.00 bucks..just my 2

Sunday, May 21, 2006 11:41 AM
I'm currently in the same postion. I've found a place down south in California that will attempt to rebuild the front strut. I've got my front pass. side that was in 2 consectutive accidents and now clunks around (doesnt leak... but clunks?) Not sure what i'm going to do if they're not going to be able to rebuild them.

They said that because there's a shrader valve on the bottom, it'll be easier for them to rebuild, and a better chance of it going alright.

sofar i've found out that they're Losjofords struts, with B+G Coils. Losjofords(sp?) of the US told me that they're rebuildable using Penske parts, and that there should be no problem with doing so. the site that i'm dealing with is www.naake.com i belive, i just need to send them and its a minimum $45 charge, plus parts.

If not, i'll have an incomplete setup of RK Sport Prostreets for sale lol, the other 3 are perfect!

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
5-spd

Sunday, May 21, 2006 7:11 PM
Well if anyone is going to get rid of them then can i have the adjustment rings only?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search