#$#%@! squeal in the rear brakes will not go away! - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
#$#%@! squeal in the rear brakes will not go away!
Friday, April 14, 2006 11:30 PM
Ok I've done the following:

1) Replaced the spring in the drum brakes
2) Replaced the gear adjustment
3) Checked out and cleaned entire rear brake assembly
4) Tried to allow new adjusters to do their job by spinning the wheel backwords 2 times to adjust brake shoe pressure.
5) Sandpapered the insides of the drum covers to add grip.

Here's my problem. When I drive, I can hear a slight whine/rubbing noise from my rear right side wheel. It gets much higher and worse as I apply the brake system. When the wheel is free spinning (on a jack), it will spin smooth until at a certain section, something starts to rub and stops the free spin. I've checked to see if my new drum covers are rubbing, but from the outside, I can not tell. This all began when I took my old covers off and they were snuggly adjusted to fit. Ever since then, my new covers will not stay snug against the shoes (and yes they are the correct size). I've adjusted the shoes to fit snug, but it never stays the correct pressure. Any ideas?

Tomorrow I am going to put the old covers on to make sure that it isn't an imperfection in the actual cover, but any suggestions are welcome.

ShiftyCav wrote:thats probably the dumbest thing i have ever heard. you should take that serpentine belt and wrap it around your neck.

Re: #$#%@! squeal in the rear brakes will not go a
Saturday, April 15, 2006 6:29 AM
Did you buy the cheapest ones or the best ones? Sometimes the cheap ones have hard spots in them, that don't wear like they should, which leads to a rubbing noise. It normally goes away as the spot starts to wear. I've also seen top shelf ones with weird wear patterns.

Saturday, April 15, 2006 12:36 PM
You know, its funny you ask that. I just got done trying my old ones on to check if it was the adjusters or the covers themselves. Take a guess which one it was.....yeah there was as light rub for a sec when I free spinned the old covers and then it was totally gone. I bought the covers @ Advanced, and I think I bought the best that they had, but still. I'm going to check how the drum snugs back into the old ones, and then if it is the cover, I'm going to either hit up a junkyard, or GM will price rape me again.

Oh and the Advanced covers were wearing very sharp on the insides, like razor blade sharp, unlike my stock GM ones.

Thanks guys. Lata.

ShiftyCav wrote:thats probably the dumbest thing i have ever heard. you should take that serpentine belt and wrap it around your neck.

Saturday, April 15, 2006 5:26 PM
You can get the old drums turned if they're still larger than the max discard diameter. Take them down to your local Midas or Monroe or something and have them measure them, unless you have a caliper, then you can do it yourself.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search