Suspension Issues : Help - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Suspension Issues : Help
Wednesday, April 12, 2006 3:16 PM

Car History/Info :

95 Cavalier 2.2l. 168,000 kms
* Lowered on Sprint springs on stock struts & shocks. (Maybe blown?)
* Rear shoes & drums replaced last week - Fronts done last spring
* Noticed tie rods are bad. Boots are torn.

Problem :

I've been reading through alot of posts and I think I have the infamous j-body bad strut mounts. Basically, when I turn left or right I get that "pop pop pop" coming from the front of the car. It probably started last year sometime, but it has gotten worse over time. I don't really feel it in the steering wheel, more I guess through the pedals.

Now, today I have another issue. While slowing down I hear this light "thud thud thud thud" I think from the front, while breaking. The thud is quicker and slows down during the brake until I come to stop and it obviously stops.

Questions :

Is this a related issue?

What are symptoms of a bad tie rod?

What could that "light thud" be? (Sorry best way to describe it)

When I go to replace these items if need be, what else should be changed out while I have parts off already?

Thanks in advance.
Derreck.

Re: Suspension Issues : Help
Wednesday, April 12, 2006 8:18 PM
Could be several things. The popping sounds like the mount bearing (one side other the other probably). The "thud" sound could be a warped rotor or the mount gone bad.

Does the thud occur more or less if you are turning right, left, or straight at the time?

Your stock struts couldn't control those springs in the first place. If they're not blown they still aren't doing anything useful. Should have Konis or D-Specs on those.

Tie rod ends cost $20 each side, too cheap to take the risk of failure if you ask me.

Thursday, April 13, 2006 8:00 PM
I have a similar issue with the front suspension. When I back up I get a pop sound from the right front and at highway speed there is a rubbing sound coming from the same area. Someone told me it might be a control arm bushing. What do you guys think?
Thursday, April 13, 2006 8:10 PM
I'm sorry I cant help you, but I just have to comment on that being one of the best constructed posts in the history of the org. lol

2000 2200 Cavalier: 9/14/2000--10/23/2006
2007 G85 SS S/C: 10/23/2006--Present
Vote for me at Motortopia.com! Thanks!
Friday, April 14, 2006 7:52 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

So I have determined that thud or knocking while breaking is coming from the rear of the car. Is it possible that my new shoes need to be re-aligned already?

I am ordering new mounts and tie rods next week. Once I get them in I will let you guys know what happens.

Thanks again.
Derreck

Pyros777 - Thanks! I've seen some real bad posts on the org. Some even in all caps or no grammar, just mashed into one paragraph. Makes it very hard to read. I found a easy to read post gets more replies just based the setup. But thats just me.

Friday, April 14, 2006 9:16 AM
A thud from the rear when you hit a bump or whatever is almost certainly a rear strut mount.

Friday, April 14, 2006 2:01 PM
The thud sounds to me like you need to check your drums for "round",
or try to tighten them up some and test that out.
Saturday, April 15, 2006 8:15 AM
Pyros777 wrote:but I just have to comment on that being one of the best constructed posts in the history of the org. lol

Same thing I thought to.

- 2004 Cavalier - 124k, owned since new

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search