prothane front control arm bushings help asap!!! - Suspension and Brake Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
prothane front control arm bushings help asap!!!
Friday, March 24, 2006 12:33 PM
i need to know how to remove the old ones. they dont want to come out very easy. i did get the larger one out, but am having trouble putting the new one in. help please!!

Re: prothane front control arm bushings help asap!
Friday, March 24, 2006 12:38 PM
Mallet might be of help.

Friday, March 24, 2006 2:30 PM
i sitll need to do that, can someone do a write up on how to remove the controll arms, so i can get around to doing htis, can this be done in a day, in 4 hours or what?? thanks!
Friday, March 24, 2006 5:46 PM
if you know any shop in ur area that has a press, take it there. I did that and it only cost about $10. they pressed the old bushings out and pressed the new ones in for me.

There used to be how to in this forum, but the pics don't work anymore which kinda makes it useless.

Friday, March 24, 2006 6:10 PM
I used a vise... worked pretty well, but make sure you pad it with wood first, and lube generously

Friday, March 24, 2006 6:40 PM
It you have a drill to, get a big bit and drill out the rubber around the bushing, then you can use a vise to push it out easier. You can use just a vise, but I personally think that drilling it out helps a lot.

Friday, March 24, 2006 9:29 PM
I just used a 2# sledge. Worked fine for me... Seems to be the answer for just about everything.

Destructions:
1. Jack up car, take off wheel.
2. Take cotter pin out of the lower ball joint. Take the nut off the lower ball joint.
3. Separate the lower ball joint from the knuckle. Be careful not to rip the boot.
4. Take the Sway Bar loose, one bit long bolt.
5. On the drivers side take the bar connecting the subframe to the radiator support loose (two bolts).
5. On the passenger side take the engine mount loose (dogbone shape, two bolts).
6. Take the front bolt out (step 5 was to get access to this bolt).
7. Take the rear bolt out, it just screws straight down.
8. Replace the bushings.
9. Opposite order to install, repeat for other side.

Saturday, March 25, 2006 2:06 PM
got them in thanks guys. used a drill to get tose cheap stock ones out. talk about a nasty smell. the table vice worked well to press them in. i made a jig to hold the control arm and the bushing in place, and so it wouldnt block the other side. ws6+04cav= FTW, my suggestion is to have someone else do it. its a real hassle. i cant tell you an actual time on putting these in because i put new shocks, springs, sub frame brace, strut tower brace in at the same time. it took me two days to do all of this by myself, no help. but if you wanna step by step i could e-mail it to you. it probably could have been done in a half of a day. just the bushings. thanks for the help from everyone else.
Saturday, March 25, 2006 5:03 PM
Wow. I would have just used a torch. Even a propane torch will do it. Melt them right out.

Saturday, March 25, 2006 10:02 PM
Someone tried to email from this specific thread, and failed so please ask me your question again but with the PM function.

Saturday, March 25, 2006 10:15 PM
El Fuego ( the grounded one ) wrote:Someone tried to email from this specific thread, and failed so please ask me your question again but with the PM function.

I wouldnt worry about it, Id say there were just gonna make fun of ya

Saturday, March 25, 2006 10:18 PM
I used a buddys press for mine.

A larger vise will work, make sure you use grease.

As for El Fuego, all I can say is the best part of you ran down the side of your Moms leg.

Saturday, March 25, 2006 10:59 PM
When we put mine in... we used an Oxygen-Acetylene torch, it was blowing the concrete up underneath it but your right, them bad boys fell apart like a burnt marshmellow.

Saturday, March 25, 2006 11:26 PM
take the control arms out and take them to a shop...easiest way to do it. i tried to take them out for about 3 min, but then gave up because i don't have a vice.

Sunday, March 26, 2006 1:51 AM
While it doesn't help at this point, when I do my control arm bushing change in May, I'll do an online how-to based off the paper how-to that I received.

Sunday, March 26, 2006 8:54 AM
Phlatcav wrote:
El Fuego ( the grounded one ) wrote:Someone tried to email from this specific thread, and failed so please ask me your question again but with the PM function.

At least i can take some hits, instead like you running off and whining to others.

Sunday, March 26, 2006 11:16 AM
El Fuego ( the grounded one ) wrote:
Phlatcav wrote:

At least i can take some hits, instead like you running off and whining to others.

Na no need for me to do that, everyone here knows what a complete retard you are buddy

Sunday, March 26, 2006 11:19 AM
When I did mine I used a press and even then it was a pain in the ass. Id say the hardest part was getting the control arm back into the subframe.

Sunday, March 26, 2006 1:21 PM
James Cahill wrote:Wow. I would have just used a torch. Even a propane torch will do it. Melt them right out.

Thats exactly what I used...little propane torch burnt them all out in about 10 mins. Then I had a machine shop press mine in for $10. I tired to use my vice but it ended up damaging the powdercoat even with the blocks of wood in place.
Sunday, March 26, 2006 5:56 PM
Phlatcav wrote:When I did mine I used a press and even then it was a pain in the ass. Id say the hardest part was getting the control arm back into the subframe.

I agree. It wasnt to hard changing the bushings, but the removal and installation of the arms themselves.........a bitch.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Sunday, March 26, 2006 7:43 PM
I used a hand drill, hacksaw, and vise to remove the old bushings.

Sunday, March 26, 2006 8:00 PM
Phlatcav wrote:
Phlatcav wrote:

Na no need for me to do that, everyone here knows what a complete retard you are buddy

You are a pathetic coward, Talking crap to me in every forum, You are not worth the time for me to argue with, Your a waste of brain cells. So STFU, you little POS.

Sunday, March 26, 2006 8:11 PM
wtf is this bitchfest?

get over it jesus

Sunday, March 26, 2006 11:51 PM
Phlatcav wrote:
Phlatcav wrote:

You are a pathetic coward, Talking crap to me in every forum, You are not worth the time for me to argue with, Your a waste of brain cells. So STFU, you little POS.

i think youve proven who the pathetic one is

Monday, March 27, 2006 12:14 AM
PS, I also found that using a dremmel to smooth out the edges from the inside lip helps the bushing go in much easier with less chance of the bushing being cut open by bured edges.

And for removing the bushing i simply used a large drill bit to remove some of the rubber and that made it soft nuff to simply push out.

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search