Coilover install time? - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Coilover install time?
Thursday, February 16, 2006 8:29 PM
About how long would it take a professional to install 4 Tein regualr damper coilovers on a 3rd gen?

Re: Coilover install time?
Thursday, February 16, 2006 9:48 PM
2 hours max to install and maybe 45 min to align, max.Any mechanic that can't do it all in less than 3 hours isn't worth wasting your money on. And those are pretty damn liberal times. I could do it in less than an hour easy. But I don't take smoke breaks, stand back to look at it for 5 minutes, or any of the normal BS that they get away with.

Thursday, February 16, 2006 9:58 PM
C.T.S wrote:2 hours max to install and maybe 45 min to align, max.Any mechanic that can't do it all in less than 3 hours isn't worth wasting your money on. And those are pretty damn liberal times. I could do it in less than an hour easy. But I don't take smoke breaks, stand back to look at it for 5 minutes, or any of the normal BS that they get away with.

lmfao

re did my entire suspension the 1st time in about 45 min or so

plan on redoin it this weekend gettin some Weapon R Coils w.Koni Yellows installed

Friday, February 17, 2006 5:05 AM
I can do it in 2hrs without a lift or air tools.

-Brandon

Friday, February 17, 2006 5:37 AM
see heres the thing... we don't charge on how long it takes... usually we charge 1.5 times the warranty time or it goes by alldatda (or eqivilent) times

your profile says you have a 98

alldata says

Coil springs... replace... front ... one side 1.4 hours both sides 2.2 hours
Coil springs... replace... rear.... one side 1.3 hours both sides 2.0 hours
** alignment not included**

alignment front wheels 1.5 hours
alignment rear wheels .50 hours

If you were to take it to my work it would be about $800 for labor ($124 an hour labor rate), shop surplies, and tax

now before you complain about that we don't get paid for showing up to work... we get paid by how much work we do... I could spend 10 hours at work but if your suspension car was the only car I worked I would get paid for 6.2 hours for the day. They will not charge exactly how long it takes because think abotu it, 8 hour day... pulling cars in and out, talking to service writers, doing this an that ect.. that all takes away from time you physically working on something, if we charged exactly how much time ittook i wouldn't be possible to to make 8 hours of money in a day. Some work if faily close some is blantently off (example... 2.0 hours for front brakes, 2.5 hours for rear brakes, front strut mounts 3.0 which is 1.5 times the warranty time... take you maybe 20 minuets if you hurry) maintenance items other then oiul changes is really the only way to make money.

Friday, February 17, 2006 7:29 AM
^ Holy shat! Round here they charge $70-80 per hour and I thought that was a bit steep.

Monday, February 20, 2006 5:12 AM
^^ yea, my mechanic charges $50 per hour.

Ill make a sig someday
Monday, February 20, 2006 1:12 PM
we are about average... the closer to chicago the more expensive it is... my last dealership had a $107/hr labor rate, the currect one, which is about maybe 15-20 minuets form O'hare (chicago's international airport) and its $124/hr, there is a dealership thats practically in downtown chicago and there labor rate $148/hr

** by the way talking about VW dealers **

Monday, February 20, 2006 6:14 PM
Reinstall from type Basics to Super Streets was an hour, taking our time.

Monday, February 20, 2006 8:35 PM
are labor rate is 76.00 an hour....for an independant repair shop....

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 7:01 AM
WOW my local shop gets $200 to install lowering springs/ struts, and $40 to align...

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 7:51 AM
wow the shop I used to work at was 65/hr

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 10:51 AM
well mine charges me beer and food got to love having family what works at a shop

we did mine coilovers there this past weekend but i was wondering the sleeve that goes over the strut is the short sleeve supposed to be in the front or rear (using the stock struts and shocks) because right now im bottoming out my front struts on big bumps, does anyone have ideas
Wednesday, February 22, 2006 11:12 AM
robert polep wrote:well mine charges me beer and food got to love having family what works at a shop

we did mine coilovers there this past weekend but i was wondering the sleeve that goes over the strut is the short sleeve supposed to be in the front or rear (using the stock struts and shocks) because right now im bottoming out my front struts on big bumps, does anyone have ideas

thats because your using stock struts. replace them

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 12:10 PM
^ Replace them with Koni's or Tokico D-Specs.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 12:14 PM
were can i get them and how much do that run i found a set of ky b struts on ebay for 239.99 plus 40 for shipping (all four corners)
Wednesday, February 22, 2006 12:18 PM
Those were GR2s and will be no better than stock struts with coilovers.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 12:37 PM
well what be the best thing to get for a few hundred bucks to get my by for now
Wednesday, February 22, 2006 1:58 PM
do it right the first time and risk not ruining the rest of your suspension. jim from gravana is running a gp on koni yellows. 500 shipped. dont be cheap when it comes to suspensions

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search