Frame connectors - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Frame connectors
Friday, January 13, 2006 7:18 PM
Has anyone made their own subframe connectors, not the RK Sport subframe brace? I ordered that as well as the poly upper/lower engine mounts and poly trans mounts.
I bought 16' of 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" 1/8" thich square tube and I'm having a set of custom frame connectors made which will be welded from the front factory frame to the rear trailing arm mount.

2000 Z24 5spd header & catback for now.

Re: Frame connectors
Friday, January 13, 2006 8:03 PM
your wasting your time

Friday, January 13, 2006 9:53 PM
What possible purpose could bracing the front to the back have???? (In our cars)

Saturday, January 14, 2006 1:34 AM
same as a roll bar , or cage would

stiffen the chassis , and help with flex

just wont help if you roll the car on it top

Sunday, January 15, 2006 8:17 AM
Im going to do the same one day when I get unlazzy. But mine will be for dragging.

I am all that is man

Sunday, January 15, 2006 4:07 PM
You're going to need to get more tube if you want to do it right. You need to go diagonally, not front to rear. The unibody twists, it doesn't bend. Even if you were to go straight from side to side you would see more gain then front to rear.

Sunday, January 15, 2006 5:25 PM
actually the front to back does help with twist

granted a X brace will help increase the stiffness alot more

but the X gets in the way of other parts if you need to service something , so bolting it in would be a solution

Monday, January 16, 2006 2:58 PM
Cool thanks for all of the input guys, I'll have my fabricator look to see how he can incorporate a bolt in x-brace to really stiffen the car up. I know from expirence with Camaros' of different years what a significant difference in chassis stiffness frame connectors made so I figured why not on the Z24. Because I notice when I'm driving over irregular road surfaces it seems as if the front half of the car is twisting one way and the rear half the opposite way. That's why I'm having the connectors built, I'll give feedback as soon as they're installed.

Monday, January 16, 2006 3:27 PM
dale see if they would be willing to make a few sets , and how much they would be ?

i might be interested in a set

Tuesday, January 17, 2006 5:30 AM
Ok no problem I'll make sure he makes templates for me and if I have enough steel left ove I'll have him make an extra set while he's at it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search