Mantapart 2.2 cam? - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Mantapart 2.2 cam?
Friday, September 16, 2005 3:22 PM
Looking for thoughts on putting together a 95 2.2 for my 90 MPFI car.

I see that Mantapart offers a "better" roller cam for the motor, but I question how much better it actually is. I'm thinking bang for the buck might sway towards just putting a set of 1.6 rockers on the motor using the stock roller cam.... I have connections and I'm sure I could get a cam ground for cheaper directly through a place like Isky.. but again I'm just looking for thoughts here.

Anyone have stock cam specs for flat tappet and roller 2.2s?

Maybe I should just do a solid flat tappet cam!

JLP

Re: Mantapart 2.2 cam?
Friday, September 16, 2005 4:16 PM
DONT BUY FROM MANTAPART

Z24 Cardomain Site ll ZQ8 Car Domain Site
Saturday, September 17, 2005 1:07 PM
I don't know what cam specs are, etc.

The stock mpfi intake likes to make low end torque. It has long runners which enhance cylinder filling when rpm isn't too high. If the mantapart cam moves the peak power to a higher rpm, you're going to be trying to force the intake to do something it doesn't want to do.

If I were going to replace the cam, I'd talk to a cam co. and ask them to come up with some specs for a cam which works the the components you already have... factory intake manifold and maybe an aftermarket ehaust header, before just buying a "bigger must be better" cam.

If I wasn't sure about working with the cam company, I'd just go with 1.6 rockers.

-->Slow
Monday, September 19, 2005 2:23 PM
^^^i agree 100% listen to slow

People say that what doesn't kill you in this life
will make you stronger. I'm not sure if that is true
or not, but i do know one thing-You have to learn from
it and it has to make you better.......it has to.......

Friday, September 23, 2005 2:44 PM
I hear ya slow.

The reason I asked, and also the reason I called it a "better" ... not bigger cam was because I'm not sure of the specs. I'm sure you know that a better lobe on an aftermarket cam can tromp a lazy lobed GM cam given similar specs.

Guess I'll have to keep hunting for GM cam specs, and see if theres any way on Earth to get Tim at Mantapart to reply or answer the phone.

At least maybe I can get some specs out of him.

JLP
Friday, September 23, 2005 3:54 PM
DO NOT BUY FROM MANTAPART do a search for manatapart on here and u'll find out why

Z24 Cardomain Site ll ZQ8 Car Domain Site
Friday, September 23, 2005 9:57 PM
Their customer service is just short of non-existant. They wont even talk to you unless you are interested in immediately buying something.

They have a history of charging for parts and then not sending them. Takes months to resolve one way or the other.

Police have been called to their premises before for things like engine rebuilds that dont happen. They charge you for parts, strip down your engine and let the car sit in the lot for weeks without any work being done.

About 1 in 50 people actually get what they want.

Saturday, September 24, 2005 6:37 AM
Yah, I know all about Mantapart. I've had the "pleasure" of buying from them before.

Years back, I bought a cat back from them on C.O.D like everyone recommended. Never came, never came, called and stirred the pot a bit. They said it would get shipped right out. Next week UPS showed up with the muffler only. Called and the pipe was on backorder. Gee, thanks for mentioning that.

Bought a ported manifold and big downpipe from them too once. It actually showed up fast, but the downpipe wasnt even remotely close to fitting on my car.... and their idea of porting the manifold looked to consist of about 10 minutes of dremel work. (I had the old one to compare side to side).

So.... I had to have the local muffler shop make me a downpipe that fit, bolted it all up and gained nothing in the 1/4. Tim said my car was too fast from the get-go, so the manifold probably didnt help much. Tim also said he'd give me some credit towards another purchase because of the downpipe problem. When I called shortly after to price a TB, he couldnt for the life of him remember the downpipe problem...

So anyways, yah I know how Mantapart is, but for the most part I'm looking to pick Tims brain about cam specs and such.... and also if any way possible figure out who grinds their cams for them.

JLP
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search