Question about new engine - Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Question about new engine
Sunday, May 24, 2009 8:43 AM
I bought a replacement engine today from a guy the said it was from an 01 sunfire. I got the engine and all the parts he had with it back to my house and started piecing it together and noticed the throttle body on this engine is located on top of the valve cover to where as in my 02 sunfire its located behind the motor. Can anyone give me more info on the motor I got. Any help would be appreciated.

Car Domain

Re: Question about new engine
Sunday, May 24, 2009 9:09 AM
i believe the Tb was above the engine pre 98.. maybe some 98's... my 99 is behind the engine so i know its definitely pre 99.... thats sucks man, cuz thats not going to be your biggest issue i doubt...

Sunday, May 24, 2009 9:10 AM
He gave you an engine from a 95-97 OHV motor. As you have an 02, you need a motor from a 99-02. That sucks man, you wont be able to use that motor you just got. Anyway of getting back in touch with the person you got it from?

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Sunday, May 24, 2009 10:06 AM
well do you know if its compatible at all. All i really need is the srankshaft

Car Domain
Sunday, May 24, 2009 12:12 PM
Hmm I'm not sure about the crankshafts. I would go as far as saying no you can't because of the differnt hp and torque #'s between the different engines.I'm sure the bore and stroke are different as well.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Sunday, May 24, 2009 12:40 PM
Do you/or anyone else know where I could find that info out w/o actually having to yank it out and test fit

Car Domain
Sunday, May 24, 2009 12:46 PM
It is an easy way to tell by taking a pic of them! You have I'm guessing a 2200 in the car right now, but you bought a 2.2 from the older cars. GO GET YOUR MONEY BACK ASAP! you can make that engine work, but why take a step back. The older 2.2's have lines on the valve cover where the top cover is smooth cover instead of the lines in the cover. I hope that helps.

Sunday, May 24, 2009 1:12 PM
yeah i understand that. i knew it was from an older sunfire but the guy said it was from a 2000 so I didnt know what they changed. thanks for everyones help

Car Domain
Sunday, May 24, 2009 6:21 PM
yeah, definitly NOT from a 2000 sunfire.

definitely pre 98. I know rods/pistons, and top end are different, but do not know about the crank. I would try to get your $$ back, if you cant, go from there.

Monday, May 25, 2009 7:04 AM
yeah me and my step dad are going back to this guys house to get our money back. thanks for everyones help

Car Domain
Monday, May 25, 2009 8:59 AM
If you can't get your money back, how much do you have in it? And is it torn down or assembled?

Monday, May 25, 2009 1:31 PM
i bought it for 150. it is all together (as much as I can tell) except the throttle body, manifold, and i think the water pump are all off.

Car Domain
Monday, May 25, 2009 10:24 PM
well first of all... this should have been in Maintenance or the newbie forum and not in the regional forums.

second of all... the 2200 family can be interchanged about as easily as the Quad 4 family can be interchanged... certain parts will work in all motors, certain parts are generation specific .... to help with this, there is a 2.2 guide that explains every variant of the motor starting with it being a 1.8, to being a 2.0, to being a 2.2 (TBI), to 2.2 (MPFI), to 2.2 (MPFI +10 Hp), to 2200.

http://www.jbodysource.org/wiki/MultiGenEngine2point2History

there were 2 crank shafts in the 2.2, your 01 is not going to mesh up with a pre 98 crank... HOWEVER... your 01 head will go on the pre 98 block. When matching engines with computers, and you run a different head than block it was made for, you match the computer with the head. So if you ran your 01 head on the pre-98 block, it will work. there were 2 headgaskets made... 87 - 97 FWD had one style, and 94 - 02 RWD, and 98 - 02 FWD used the other style.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, May 25, 2009 10:26 PM

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search