ecotec throttle body dismantle? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ecotec throttle body dismantle?
Tuesday, March 10, 2009 6:02 PM
How tough is it to dismantle an ecotec throttle body. I have a friend who owns a machine shop who could bore it out for me. Just wondering if it is all permanent or can be disassembled. has anyone disassembled one before, Thanks for any input.

Re: ecotec throttle body dismantle?
Tuesday, March 10, 2009 6:16 PM
It can be disassembled pretty easily. You just need to press out the shaft.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 6:20 PM
Ok, I mean, I have everything it would probably take to disassemble it, I just wanted to make sure something in it wasn't like permant to the tb, if you know what I mean. Also, does anyone know what would be a good size for me to bore it out to for an ecotec with catback and cobalt ss manifold, intake, and high flow cat. I dont want to lose too much low end but for the best power with that setup.
Tuesday, March 10, 2009 6:50 PM
Jason Brantner wrote:Ok, I mean, I have everything it would probably take to disassemble it, I just wanted to make sure something in it wasn't like permant to the tb, if you know what I mean. Also, does anyone know what would be a good size for me to bore it out to for an ecotec with catback and cobalt ss manifold, intake, and high flow cat. I dont want to lose too much low end but for the best power with that setup.

you're going to see little if any gain. take a measurement of the opening on the manifold and you'll see what I mean. Also, look at the throttle body and you'll see there's very little area to actually bore out. You'd have to sleeve it then bore the sleeve (which is how RSM did it), but regardless the gains are going to be almost nil.

also I hate to burst your bubble, but you have practically nothing done. If you want to increase flow, get a real header and intermediate pipe, and upgrade the cams as well as port the head/ get a ported head.

throttle body bore really isn't worth it. I'd attack the head and get a header first

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 7:10 PM
I know, my setup is a little retarded. I got most of this stuff when I didnt know much and now with what I know I will be doing alot this summer. Maybe getting a patriot head, but mostly cams and getting into tuning, full exhaust and some other stuff. I wish I had a better exhaust setup but I just wondered if I could gain from a throttle body bore increase because it would be free for me. My buddy owns a machine shop and said he would do it. But thanks for the input. Nice car by the way.
Tuesday, March 10, 2009 7:39 PM
You can take the shaft out without damaging anything. Narrow the shaft profile and cut the ends off the throttle plate screws. You could still bore it out and get a new plate made. But like pj said their isn't very much room. The bore is already 60 mm and most places go to 62mm.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:15 PM
I think I will still do it just to keep busy until work picks up again. Thanks again for the help, once I get some cash I'm going for a full 2.5" exhaust. that should help, lol
Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:36 PM
I also thought the factory bore was at 56mm
Tuesday, March 17, 2009 9:06 PM
The three ecotec throttle bodies I have measure out to 59-60mm at the plate.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search