whats every one think on this intake manifold - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
whats every one think on this intake manifold
Monday, December 03, 2007 12:57 AM
Well i just bought it today Just wondering what your thoughts on it are. That's it.
Just going to smooth it out and polish it.
I also thought the plenum might be part of a differant car and intake manifold.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Re: whats every one think on this intake manifold
Monday, December 03, 2007 1:00 AM
title = i meant to say (whats every ones thoughts) but Iam not premium so i cant change it.

Monday, December 03, 2007 1:00 AM
I agree with the plenum being from a different car, however I wouldn't have a clue as to what car. It certainly doesn't look like plenum volume or constrictive runners will be any issue with this manifold.

Monday, December 03, 2007 6:36 AM
idk, to me it looks too small, but then again its not going on a big boosted car either. we'll just have to wait and see, but the thing is... you need to try it with NO other change but the intake and have it tuned and see if it acctually helps anything.

ask the seller everything you possibly can about it. so does this mean since u blew ur money on this we aint headed to MN this wknd?

Monday, December 03, 2007 9:36 AM
That is an awfully sharp bend for the air to travel into cylinder 4. I personally don't like the design at all, but that's just me. Would have been a better design if they used a longer plenum, where they could get the runners perpendicular to the plenum and equal length.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Monday, December 03, 2007 11:02 AM
velocity stacks inside?

if not... boo, say goodbye to torque AND power until a much later RPM (like 8000)

Monday, December 03, 2007 3:01 PM
velocity stacks inside???? does the Ho even have them?

Monday, December 03, 2007 3:41 PM
Ok i get what your saying something like this.

If that's what your talking about i mean stock and HO manifolds don't have them they are just rounded around the runner.

Monday, December 03, 2007 3:41 PM
keep in mind that the curved runners on the HO are longer... meaning less need for velocity stacks

Monday, December 03, 2007 3:50 PM
so all they are basically for is the get a lil long runner length?

Monday, December 03, 2007 4:29 PM
Paul Tjepkes (N/A MADNESS) wrote:so all they are basically for is the get a lil long runner length?

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=395418&t=395418#395418

-

Monday, December 03, 2007 4:43 PM
did you guys see the post on the dynoed HO manifold? it LOSES power and I'm willing to bet its because its a surge style plenum with no velocity stacks.. but it looks cool.

a full radius velocity stack will always make more power no matter what.

air inside a plenum without these stacks gets a bit confused as to where it needs to go. once in boost, the plenum is pressurized so these seemingly stupid little donut things isn't that important, but on an n/a car it makes a big difference

the smaller plenum might defeat the shorter runner length, but I think you'll be surprised how much your power band will move with the shorter runners

Monday, December 03, 2007 5:48 PM
looks like a bad move to me..but thats just my thoughts..i was always a supporter of the LO manifold on the 2.4 by the way....the twincam was not built like a 2.3 HO and the manifold is simple overkill..

Monday, December 03, 2007 6:09 PM
^^ It can be built to be like the HO though.

I dont like the looks of the that manifold at all. Looks rather rough to me.

Monday, December 03, 2007 7:15 PM
I don't like it, mostly because the runners seem WAY too short, and on top of that, the angle of #4 cylinder vs. the throttlebody throat is OVER 90 degrees, thats just horrendous for distribution compared to the other cylinders. On a boosted engine, this might not be a problem as pressure would make up for it, but inertia plays a big factor in an N/A motor, think of the turn that airs going to have to make going into that #4 cylinder...

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Monday, December 03, 2007 10:30 PM
Here is what you do: Cut off the section the throttle body mounts to. Weld a plate there to seal the hole. Cut a hole in the top of the manifold and weld the throttle body section where the new whole is. Now it works like the stocker but looks like a regurgitated octopus
Tuesday, December 04, 2007 12:42 AM
That's funny jpo I was going ot suggest something similar, only I was going to suggest dual throttle bodies. That manifold would be damn easy to add another neck and throttle body to, I'm not sure how easy throttle linkages would be... but Paul has proven to be damn resourceful. Tuning the dual throttlebody intake could be another beast all together though. Dual 56ers?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, December 04, 2007 12:44 AM

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 2:45 AM
KFLO wrote:That's funny jpo I was going ot suggest something similar, only I was going to suggest dual throttle bodies. That manifold would be damn easy to add another neck and throttle body to, I'm not sure how easy throttle linkages would be... but Paul has proven to be damn resourceful. Tuning the dual throttlebody intake could be another beast all together though. Dual 56ers?

that just seems like overkill, would that not, in itself shift his powerband way up?

I know he has a stroker motor so isn't he try to keep his power band broader and not spin this motor to the limits?

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 5:01 AM
its not a stroker just a high comp 10.5:1 If worst comes to worst ill cut the flange off and make my own ill have to take a look at it first.

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 8:52 AM
I think I've seen that intake manifold before

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 12:30 PM
^^^^

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 1:14 PM
I am so lost here. If the key to an engine making power is for it to be albe to breath better then why are intake manifolds not just made like headers? Why would you want the air to go over a hump and make a 90 degree angle before entering the cylinder? Why not straight in?

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 2:35 PM
^^^^ i hear ya

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 2:54 PM
Wade Jarvis wrote:I am so lost here. If the key to an engine making power is for it to be albe to breath better then why are intake manifolds not just made like headers? Why would you want the air to go over a hump and make a 90 degree angle before entering the cylinder? Why not straight in?

The exhaust side is completely different from the intake. The exhaust is free flowing and needs to be as free flowing as possible (factoring in scavenging affects of course). On the intake side, Uunless you have ITB's, a plenum is used to allow a certain mass of air to flow into the cylinder. You want it to be 90 deg and flared like skwirl showed, because all 4 cylinders share the same plenum, which means air must also escape out of the other runners who's valves are currently closed and the flare reduces choking the runners to an equivalently smaller runner volume.

-

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 8:38 PM
Wade Jarvis wrote:I am so lost here. If the key to an engine making power is for it to be albe to breath better then why are intake manifolds not just made like headers? Why would you want the air to go over a hump and make a 90 degree angle before entering the cylinder? Why not straight in?

the problem with Intake manifolds is that without boost, you need to to build it with velocity and distribution in mind. you can't slap an intake manifold together on an NA car without some sort of mathematical equations for cylinder distribution of air and keeping the velocity up in ALL cylinders. If not you will create lean/rich conditions in 1 or 2 specific cylinders. With a boosted car it's easier because there is positive pressure forcing air into each cylinder equally, (unless out of boost, but that can work into this argument). With an NA car the air will enter the path of least restriction first. with velocity stacks and correct design it keeps the velocity up and the air distribution to all cylinders as equally as possible, and depending on plenum size and runner length will also determine power band broadness and location. (high/low rpm)

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search